What kind of dirt pedals y'all playing?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by gtone, Nov 27, 2011.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

solid tone there dub! I'd have never guessed that was a sheraton just listening to it. The 57classics really do help a humb guitar thicken up.

mdubya likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have a Korg multi-effect and some danelectro's that I like and use in my blues band set up .I'm also using, with some success, if I ignore the user manual, a Vox AD30VT, purchased so the effect I need won't be the one I didn't bring . Noble ideal, a challenge to achieve . I was educated in British Columbia and California and consider myself reasonably proficient in the Queen's English . I have read and understood technical manuals of many types, and I defy anyone to make sense of the valvetronic user guides . That said, with patience and experimentation, you can coax almost any sound out of the amp . The variable wattage out is also nice .

3. Biddlin

Here's what I use. versatile and cheap.

[​IMG]

<li class="rg_li" data-row="1" style="width:128px;height:116px">[​IMG]Korg AX1G

4. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Hey Biddlin, those compact korgs can keep you entertained for days. Once able to master how to adjust the parameters the possibilities are endless. Can you imaging having something like that when we were kids? Good Lord, it would have been the most amazing thing in the world. I used to have the older model that preceeded this by 10 years or so that I passed on to a buddy in Mississippi. He uses it in his live performances & gets some really crazy awesome sounds out of it. I was just listening to a live show of his were he kicked that pedal on at the ending of a song & he brought the house down with the effect. So I just know your enjoying that mighty little Korg.

I actually bought one of the first Korg multi pedals back in 85-86. That had a chorus, flanger, overdrive & a pedal to turn on/off whatever you plugged into the back so you could set up an effect or chain of effects & turn then on or off all at once. That thing sounded so good I must have used it for 15 years straight. Ah the simple days.

5. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

Zen Drive
    OCD
    Ac Booster

6. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Guitar to - Big Muff Tone Wiker - MXR Classic 108 Fuzz (Fuzz Face) - Fulltone Catalyst - Fulltone OCD - MXR CAE Booster

There's some other modulation effects in the middle but that's how I arrange my dirt pedals!

7. Biddlin

My first overdrive was a circuit board with a couple of pnp transistors in sockets a couple of capacitors , 9v battery hook-up,input,but no case. I used that popular mechanics designed device for 25 years . This was my first multi-pedal and it is fun . Used it the other night with a TKO 80 bass amp and it was a pretty good EQ as well !

mdubya likes this.
  8. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

How about some pics of it?

9. Biddlin

Wish I had some . I'll try to find the schematic, but my Mar. 1966 PM is pretty far down in the stack !:laugh2:

10. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Boss DS-1!

Dadou likes this.
  11. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

My dirt pedal history in chronological order and as best as memory serves:

'77 EH Big Muff Pi (NYC)
    '80 DOD 250 Overdrive/Pre-amp
    Bunch of Scholz gear in "lost" '80's decade
    Early 90's Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
    ?? (used) Boss SD-1
    '05 Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic
    ?? (used) Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz
    '07 Lovepedal COT50
    '08 MI Audio Crunchbox
    '04 (used) Scott Humphrey's Crispy Cream/Vitamin G treble booster
    '09 Greenhouse Effects Goldrive
    '11 Basic Audio Futureman
    '12 Lumpy's Lemon Drop

Looking back, it doesn't seem like an awful lot of pedals for 35+ yrs of playing. Heck, some dudes meet/exceed that number in a year.

Best of the bunch was/is (as I still have it) the Futureman by a mile, IMO. The Big Muff is probably the one I wish I had back, though I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it these days (maybe for a few 'Floyd and other 70's covers perhaps).

Worst was the Tweak Fuzz which I bought on a lark thinking it had to sound good since Duncan hit such a homerun with the Twin Tube Classic. WRONG! Learned my lesson the hard way to always audition a pedal first after that one. Other than that, the TS-9 was by far my least favourite pedal in spite of a fellow guitarist friend who kept insisting it sounded great. That nasally mid-hump tone just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

I'm one more for the Dano team.

I really like their stuff. Despite the fact that dano pedals don't cost much, they sound nice and sometimes you can get what you want from them and not from other more expensive gear.

I own a Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive pedal, and it actually bests most dirt pedalsI've tested with a regular clean amp.

It can't be used as a boost-only pedal, but you can set it to a wide variety of dirt levels, so it's a good all-rounder for blues, rock and even some harder music.

[​IMG]

13. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

i use an OCD. from light "hair on the note" country drive to full on Ac/DC Marshal crunch that pedal kicks ass.

I also have a mkII pro tonebender with 0c75s. sounds like old Page/Jeff beck Yardbirds.

this is the best sounding ProCo Rat Ive heard. Most dont sound this good on low drive setting though they tend to thin out, and sound harsh. Not this one-sounds like a ts808 with balls.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toB-9lRW6wE"]Proco RAT2 LM308N (1988) - Quick Test - YouTube[/ame]

14. oldrockfan

man that strat sure sounded good on that clip and very versatile. Im not big into pedals but have to say that one sure did seem to deliver a great variety of tones. So how much do those proco rats cost?

15. Alex_SG

Totally jealous dude... Love those Maestro's... Wish I could find one at a decent price here in Oz...

mdubya likes this.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Can you believe someone just left it at my band house back in the early 90's?

:laugh2:

It had been there for a while and I plugged it in one day. That was the end of that. Mine forever after. :dude:

17. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

new ones are $70. but they dont have the lm308 op-amp in them. Some think that chip is where the tone is, but I dunno.

the GFS Brownie has the chip and is a rat+turbo rat in one. Very nice pedal for $50.

An old rat2 from the 1990s you could probably get for $150 or less. The sought after Rats are the 1980s versions, big box, and then the first runs of small box. they changed pretty much every year until they got to the Rat2 which is the same as the ones now basically.

I doubt they are made in the USA anymore, but maybe they are. Back in the day even thier cheapest model The Brat, was made in the USA.

to me the Rat is one of the best pedals ever made.

tonebender, big muff,tubescreamer, and the Rat. Those are the defining pedals, IMO.

18. oldrockfan

well I want one with tone like the guy in the vid is getting. You think the original rat is the way to go? If so, how can I tell it is the first version so I can start keeping an eye out for one. I am not much of a pedal guy and have been using a simple bad monkey that actually has pretty good tone for a cheap pedal but that rat is exactly the tone I like. I am seriously going to start watching for one to add to my arsenal.

19. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

start here:
    History « Rat Distortion

20. Alex_SG

Wanna bring it over my house and leave it here? :laugh2:

mdubya likes this.