What kind of dirt pedals y'all playing?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by gtone, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

Got one of these babies coming my way this week.
    Joyo US Dream.:drool:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEnAubS98c"]Suhr Riot versus Joyo US Dream distortion guitar effects pedal shootout - YouTube[/ame]

Not really into bootique pedals as long as they sound good I'm happy.:iough:
    Other pedals below.
    Dunlop Wah
    Moen Uni-Comp
    Ibanez TS-9 DX
    MI Audio Tubezone
    Carls Custom Guitars Phase90
    Biyang Baby Boom Tri Reverb
    TC Electronics Flashback Delay

2. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Joyo's a fraction of the price of the Suhr too - you gotta love that, especially when it really gets you in the same sonic ballpark.

3. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

It was nice to hear that fella get such a decent sound out of that Rat pedal. It goes to show that so much depends on the user. Short story, Was in a 3 gtr group where the one gtr player had the collectible type worth good money. It got to the point that I automatically turned my head to avoid my ears getting that painful sensation of a drumstick shoved through my eardrum as soon as his foot went for that pedal. That pedal in his hands was capable of creating the harshest shrill tones in the upper register I've ever heard come out of a Bruno Amp. I had written off ever seriously looking at one of these old Rats after years of hearing the trashy tone he repeatedly was able to produce from that pedal. To hear such nice tonality come from the pedal in this vid was an ear opening gift. Thanks. Still dont think I could ever consider one personally after being exposed to that reoccurring lesson in pain. Too bad, my loss. Music therapist?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
    Sootio likes this.
  4. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

5. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

G'Day smitty_p if you like Gearmandude you might like the Aussie version too, Brett Kingman (Burgerman) allround good guy & guitarist check out his Yootoobe channel if you have not done so already:dude:
    Brett Kingman - YouTube

6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dreamscape. I'll check him out. I always like to see good reviews.

But, part of the mystique of Gearmanndude is that he never shows his face, he never uses his real name, and there is the perpetual minor urban legend surrounding him that he is actually Jack Black! This is not true, but it is a fun bit of hype.

Here's one of Gearmanndude's funniest demos. Most of them are much better.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dGQF8dGoo[/ame]

UPDATE: I just checked out some of Brett Kingman's reviews. Good stuff there, too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  7. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

HaHa Yeh mate I have checked the Whammy vid out,I was going to buy one. I know what you mean with GMD the guy is good value.
    I didn't buy the Whammy, not because of GMD's review though:laugh2:
    I ended up with a Morpheous Drop Tune instead.
    Sold that a week later too.

8. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Papers!! We don ned no stinking papers.

smitty_p likes this.
  9. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Just got this one...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxcriermcPw"]SolidGold FX Rock Machine - YouTube[/ame]

Really digging the vintage vibe and tone with my '66 Bassman and my two old SG's.

10. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Been through a lot ...

On my 'board for my band is a ZVex Double Rock and a Fulltone OCD. Best two overdrive pedals I've found: particularly the Double Rock, just does 'my tone'.

I use an AnalogMan King of Tone at home.

I also have a DigiTech Bad Monkey (Emergency Spare Overdrive!!) and an MXR Blue Box Octave/Fuzz which is very cool but somewhat of a one trick pony!

11. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Love the tone and versatility of my CMATMODS Signa Drive so much, I traded my Basic Audio Futureman for another CMATMODS pedal. This time, I got the Brownie with the low-gain JFET transistors.

Methinks this will be a little better fit for my main gigging amp ('66 Bassman) than the Futureman was. Having said that, the Futureman played rather well with my Champ, it should be said.

12. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Followup to my previous post (#91). Got the CMATMODS Brownie today. A fine pedal, but I really dig the Signa Drive a whole lot more as it covers more ground and is EQ'd with lot more mids (Brownie's noticably mid-scooped).

Guess that happens sometimes when you don't get to try out a pedal before you acquire it (oh well...). Think I'll consider swapping the Brownie for something else - have a hankering for a phase pedal lately as I'm dusting off a lot of London Calling - era Clash tunes lately and haven't had any phase shifting effects available since I unloaded my Korg SDD-2000 a couple of months ago.

13. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

my dirt history:

Musket Fuzz v2
    Xotic EP Booster
    Digitech TL-2 Metal Distortion
    Boss FZ-2
    Boss FZ-5
    Keeley Fuzz Head
    Danelectro Black Coffee
    Danelectro Wasabi Drive
    Danelectro Cool Cat Overdrive
    Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
    Crunch Box
    Big Muff
    Metal Muff
    MXR Classic Overdrive
    Tube Screamer M9
    Tonebone Hot British
    BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
    BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver

for a while i only had the Malekko Omicron Fuzz, but after getting the M5 now i only need it for stacking or as a backup. the current line up:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  14. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

OUT: CMATMODS Signa-Drive

IN: Vintage ProCo Rat RI ('91 Big Box w/LM308 chip)

Shreddybender was right about the SG>Rat>Bassman chain - pretty cool!!

shreddy bender and Tobacco Worm like this.
  15. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Active Member

I don't use dirt pedals anymore, but I have a bunch. Wanna see 'em?

[​IMG]

BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
    BOSS ST-2 Power Stack
    BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver
    BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
    BOSS CE-2 Chorus
    BOSS TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
    BOSS NS-2 Noise Supressor

Having one of these kind-of obliviates the need for a distortion pedal, don't you think?

[​IMG]

16. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

I use a new Daphon-made Glen Burton HM-80 pedal most of the time with either my Randall RG-80 solid state head, or my Kustom Defender 5H head. That pedal has a stacked mid knob where I can select a frequency range to cut (or boost if I wanna sound like total ass). That pedal is not very well known or popular, but it does metal superbly.
    When my VHT Special 6 head isn't broken down, I use a '90's vintage DOD Death Metal.....

17. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

OUT: SGFX Rock Machine germanium boost/OD

IN: MXR Distortion+

Rock Machine was a great pedal, but I had that area covered with the AnalogMan Beano Boost. Getting the Rat pedal reawakened me out of the notion that OD's were a good fit when it's really moderate gain distortion tones that rub me more the right way.

Have to thank shreddy bender and Tobacco Worm (Wade) for that "reawakening", I suppose...:dude:

shreddy bender likes this.
  18. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

glad you are liking the rat gtone! i love mine as you know. i also have an mxr distortion+ which was an awesome pedal (until it died).
    if you are playing a tube amp distortion is the way to go as opposed to overdrive in my opinion. the "square wave" gets rounded out by the tube amp and makes it sound so natural.

gtone likes this.
  19. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

I'm digging the Distortion+ big time too - man, you have damn good taste! And thanks for the head's up on distortion - haven't played those pedals in many years. They were definitely worth revisiting with a couple of amps I have now including the Bassman.

Keep on rockin' brother! Maybe our paths will cross some day seeing how we have so much in common...:dude:

shreddy bender likes this.
  20. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Got a Klone on the cheap last month (TurnipFarmFX Klone) and really digging that too. Only knock on that one is that I normally only take one, maybe two pedals out with me, so I really want 'em to be battery-powered. The Klone doesn't take a battery (something to do with the charge pump needing 18V or some such...), so a little choked about that, but oh well - she shore sounds purty... ;^)