What kind of SG is this?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kory, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

one thing about Gibson 490s that I didn't mention: They really sound better when level
    with the strings. Maybe more so than other pickups. Many of us have used stiff foam or carboard
    to prop up the rear edge of the pickup inside the cavity. Foam works for me, about 20mm high
    under the neck p'up and about 25mm high under the bridge pup. It's a bit fiddly to get the right
    height and involves putting the bridge and pickguard on and off a few times, but it's worth it if
    you're going to get the best out of your 490s. Once I got my foam to the right height, I glued
    it in place. I think the neck pickups sounds best when really low, almost inside the body. The bridge
    p'up needs to be higher, maybe 4mm from the strings, or 5mm.

And I agree that it's not effective to try and figure out a guitar's tone when you've got a pedal engaged in
    the signal chain. Figure out the amp and guitar settings clean, and then spin it with pedals IMHO.
    To new owners of SGs who are trying to work the SG's tone into their music while
    keeping their amp and signal chain still set up for their other guitars: I usually recommend an EQ pedal in
    the f/x loop. Keep the settings you are used to for your PRS etc... and work up the Gibson's tone in the
    bands of the EQ pedal. Then when you pick up the Gibson, kick the pedal. It's half the cost of even one
    high quality new pickup.

good luck

2. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

I bought a SG Faded this is a great guitar with a vintage style but this SG needs a good set of humbuckers specially the bridge one, it sounds very flat
    This is a nice piece of wood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lhvr

Lhvr Active Member

VERY nice pics. But is this SG really faded? On that pics it doesn't look like that

4. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

I would be very tempted to put Iommi pups in her. But, hey, I'm a metal head. Very gorgeous axe by the way!!! Love the finish on her!!

5. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Iommi, Dirty Finger, SD Distortion, Dimarzio Super Ds, etc. Yeah I agree, give it some kick ass pickups and crank it up!

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I put a Golden Age Overwound pickup from StewMac in the bridge position of my Epi Wilshire
    to replace the Gibson 490T I had installed in there previously. The hotter pickup sounds great
    to my ear, and it was a lot less expensive than some of the others.
    http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickups/Golden_Age_Overwound_Humbuckers.html

In my faded, I have Gibson's '57 Classic and Classic + because I'm NOT a metalhead. *shrugs.
    IMHO, the '57s were MADE for SGs...