What kind of tuner can be used for intonation ?

Joe N

Reaction score
I have a clip on type "Super Snark" which would be most convenient because the bench I will be using to work on the guitar is no where near my pedal board

Any problems using the Snark ?

Thanks

Joe

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Don't know the snark, but you need decent resolution, down to a couple of cents. If you aren't sure, just download one on your phone. I use DA Tuner Pro. It costs almost nothing, so do support the writer. But otherwise there is the non-pro version supported by ads.

Be sure to adjust the intonation with the guitar hanging in playing position. If you do it flat on the bench it will not be right.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
full

Joe N

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies everyone, I'm glad the Snark will work, wasn't thinking about a phone app, I have an i phone so I will look in the app store to see what is available -

CG - that is quite a piece if equipment there - never seen anything like that :-)

I really appreciate the help from everyone here on the forum, doing my own guitar maintenance is new to me and a little daunting, I've always enjoyed taking care of things and looking forward to learnig how to maintain my guitars

Joe

Silvertone

Reaction score
It's funny though, I just intonated my Tele and tried the SNARK and it worked fine on my e string but then flipped to the E string and tuned open then checked the 12th. It was way way off. Reading as C#. WTF? Then I checked my Iphone app - iStroboSoft and it was very close. Within a few cents. I do no think I would completely trust the SNARK. That app seems to work very well although sometimes it's a little finiky to get an accurate reading. Meaning a few plucks seem screwy but then it is fine. Also you cannot use it in an area that is noisey.

Cheers Peter.

ezypikins

Reaction score
snark will work if that's all you've got. Won't be nearly as precise as a Peterson or Conn. But will be better than nothing.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Eliminate background noise.
Connect directly to phone.

Older iPhone has 3.5mm TRRS jack.
It's a headphone/mic combo jack.
Use 3.5mm TRRS to 1/4" TS cable.

Phone for when out and about.
Conn Strobotuner for at home use.

full

Last edited:

donepearce

Reaction score
Strobe tuners are just trying to imitate a mechanical kludge. Just use one with a pointer that hits zero when you are in tune. Original mechanical strobe tuners are only as accurate as the motor speed which after a few years carries no guarantee.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Conn has calibration mode.
Check each time it's powered on.
No issues with mine yet.

Needle tuner jumps too much.
I prefer the spinning wheel on the Conn.

Last edited:

MetroGMP45Head

Reaction score
Much easier to use a Turbo Tuner if youre gigging. To much noise can make a phone app unusable.

Guitar Tuner Apps Disadvantage

Guitar tuner apps react to environmental sounds. That means that they are catching sound signals from everything they hear. If you’re in a loud room, guitar tuner apps won’t help you that much.

They will catch noise and incorporate it as a guitar string frequency.

donepearce

Reaction score
Much easier to use a Turbo Tuner if youre gigging. To much noise can make a phone app unusable.

Guitar Tuner Apps Disadvantage

Guitar tuner apps react to environmental sounds. That means that they are catching sound signals from everything they hear. If you’re in a loud room, guitar tuner apps won’t help you that much.

They will catch noise and incorporate it as a guitar string frequency.

True enough, but the application here is intonation, not gigging. But even an inline tuner can be far cheaper. There is no accuracy advantage to an expensive one these days.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Peterson iStrobosoft app.
Accuracy to 0.1 cent.
Easy to read graphical and numerical display.
No jumping around.
Great for setting the intonation or gigging purposes.

For when out and about, I use an old deactivated phone connected to the SEND of the FX Loop on my amp. Background noise is not an issue with a direct connection.

full

Last edited:

Joncaster

Reaction score
I throw my vote in for the Turbo Tuner.
I noticed a difference in my intonation coming from other pedal tuners. Its one of my favorite pieces of gear I've ever bought, actually.
I did get it used (the previous version), but even new it would be worth it, for me.

Latest posts