What pick do you use?

Tony M

Reaction score
Fender 354 medium (mostly).
Solid agate (sometimes).
Thin bronze cut from drum cymbal (once in a while).

Attachments

• plectrums.jpg
    plectrums.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 76

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I use whatever one I can find handy. Sometimes gibson thin or medium and sometimes fender mediums. I am not that picky about which brand. I have a gibson thin in my pocket at the moment so thats what i use. As an aside, we got thru about 4 or 5 dozen picks a year at my house. No idea where they all go!

iblive

Reaction score
Fender mediums I bought a couple hundred years ago. Based on Sweetwater, the closest thing they have to what I have is the 351 Medium 12/pak..... I still have 3 or 4 left. I don't lose them and don't seem to ever break them. Maybe I need to get a bit more aggression out there?

dbb

Reaction score
Regular Fender shaped Dunlop Ultex, around .75mm or so, I don't recall the exact number.

yeah, .73mm

J25bk1hryeWAmkfcHTOSgt1uM1za2dXMq1WXhkA9jMPTWL1pwuzzOJXaFDruE8q6pwC8spzpQ59QgiKJeQ9HOkj2TjBqGQT1RWruehBAeDbHw1apQrhDuMLPtPuIh7AAji8svDhRHXKg

Last edited:

dbb

Reaction score
Just asked again...it was at least a year ago. I'm still using the same picks.

Kevy Nova

Reaction score
I use these because I can break the tip off three times before it becomes useless. I also like them because they are bigger and easier to palm when I go to finger-style.
FENDER%2BPICK%2BBASS.JPG

dbb

Reaction score
I've got 5 of them on my right hand, haven't ever lost one. Not yet at least.

Very cool point...and some of us do (like Kevy) palm the pick, or use hybrid picking, which I do a lot. Of course I rarely use a pick on a nylon string guitar, having had some (but not really enough) classical training.

happy_tom

Reaction score
Dunlop tortex .73 for me.

I can live with .60 or .88 too.
Actually I started using those becouse they're yellow and easy to find when I drop them. :fingersx: But after trying others, these still suit me the best.

dbb

Reaction score

Actually I started using those becouse they're yellow and easy to find when I drop them. :fingersx: But after trying others, these still suit me the best.

Those are my second choice, and I used them before I got into the Ultex. Nice pick, but I wear out the tip fast.

Kevy Nova

Reaction score
The way I look at it, there are things that can be done with a pick that can't be done with fingers but there are also a LOT of things you can do with your fingers that you can't do with a pick, so I use both just about equally. I think too many guitarists these days neglect right hand technique and only go for what's easiest for them but I want to have as many tools in my belt as possible.

telebutcher

Reaction score

Ditto, and for the same reason too!!

dbb

Reaction score
OK, it is easier to fing the yellow or green Tortex picked when dropped than one made of Ultex or Ultem. For a while I used clear plexiglass picks...try finding one of them on a dark stage!