What pick do you use?

Biddlin

Reaction score
I used Clayton's for a long time . My son in law gave me an assortment of Jim Dunlops and I've been playing with the heavies for about a year . I choke up on the pick for extra attack and to split harmonics, the Dunlops hold up better . My old partner Clubhand Crawley had some alabaster picks handmade in Stowe Vt. allegedly by a one handed gypsy at great expense(About $5 ea.) . After about three gigs, you could shave with the things. but they were broken or dangerous to use after about 20 hours of playing . I tried a soapstone pick once and it sounded like someone(me) hitting my LP with a rock . Who would'a thunk ?

smitty_p

Reaction score
Sometimes, I'll change the angle of the pick. See the pic below. Usually, I'll use the tip, as shown on the left image. Other times, to soften the attack, I'll use the side of the pick, as shown on the right image.

Dunlop73angles.jpg

Tony M

Reaction score
I knew a guy that used the little plastic thingy with the date stamp that
is attached to a loaf of Wonder Bread. He liked the yellow ones best.

Biddlin

Reaction score
...and I thought I was thrifty...

dbb

Reaction score

Like they use to close plastic bags instead of a twist-tie, sort of a square with a hole in the center, a slot and rounded corners?

Talk about an odd shape.

Alex_SG

Reaction score
The first time I picked up a guitar holding the pick made my hand cramp, so I ditched it and learned how to play just using my fingers.

Hey dude, I know the feeling. I've had a recurrence of carpal tunnel syndrome, and if I hold something that thin for any more than say a minute, my hand aches like mad, cramps up and I end up dropping whatever it is I'm holding... So I changed my heavy strings for slinky ones, and am learning to use my fingers

oldrockfan

Reaction score
Sometimes, I'll change the angle of the pick. See the pic below. Usually, I'll use the tip, as shown on the left image. Other times, to soften the attack, I'll use the side of the pick, as shown on the right image.

Dunlop73angles.jpg

Smitty, I thought I was the only guitarist who did that. I find the side sounds smoother on some songs while I use the traditional pointed end for other songs and for single note stuff I always use the pointed side.

Biddlin

Reaction score
The Gift Of Music

I like these, but the axe you gotta buy to get 'em...
BTW I know Steve from the old days and wish him only the best . Biddlin'

Attachments

• P1010068.jpg
    P1010068.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 38

skeeterbuck

Reaction score

Dunlop73angles.jpg

Same here too. :dude:
It feels to me that the pick glides over the strings better when using one of the stubby corners. Like most. I use several different picks. Usually Dunlop Gator Grips (purple color, I think their .73's) I would only use a thin pick for strumming. Not enough control for me for any single string work.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Here's somethin' fer ya to check out:

It's a pick I made out of pigskin many, many years ago. I never really use it. But I made it in an attempt to soften my strumming sound and to try to get my electric to sound more acoustic. It did soften the attack, but it was pretty quiet.

PigskinPic.jpg

deMelo

Reaction score
I use any regular size medium ones. To be honest I don't care much for brand or exact thickness... Any medium regular one will do just fine.

I don't like those smaller ones that some players prefer... I think I just got used to these ordinary ones and stick to them.

As for fingernails, wel... Although I used to play classical, I never really user proper long nails, nor fingered directly nail-to-string, I would strike the string with the tip of the finger and the very edge of the nail. I'd keep fingernails about 1 milimiter longer then the fingertip.

Actually, I used to play very fast and precise fingerstyle, and today I still have to study a lot the songs I wanna play is I want to pick well. Still find it a bit difficult to pick more complex songs without screwing up here and there...

I no longer keep long fingernails.

Slim Guitar

Reaction score
I have used Dunlop 1.14 delrin picks for some years now as they feel smoother as they come off the string.
I used to play with nylon picks but the way they feel to me now makes my teeth "stand on edge" - like fingernails on a blackboard.

smitty_p

Reaction score
Well, I've changed my preferred pick. I'm using the good old-fashioned celluloid. I use the Fender mediums. I used one a few days ago just because it was handy and decided I preferred the sound of it to the nylon I was using. So, I bought a twelve pack. They seem to have a density and consistency similar to fingernails.

Last edited:

nbeersiii

Reaction score
I use the Dunlop maxi grip 1.14mm. I have to have the gripy type cause my hands and fingers are pretty work hardened and slick type picks spin around to much and slip in my grip. I hate that. I keep my nails short short and my finger tips are pretty hard for picking.

Heket

Reaction score
I missed this thread the first time around. I use different picks according to my mood :p

Generally my favourite is a Fender medium, the white pearloid one. I use a medium one from 'Tony's Muzik' when I'm writing stuff or want inspiration, because that one seems to work well for that. I swear that pick has a bit of Texas voodoo or something in it! If I feel like I'm playing a girly song then I use my ultimate weapon - my Hello Kitty pick :dude:

I have some thin picks too which I use on occasion, but I have to be careful with those because I tend to bend them out of shape. If my fingers are especially dry I have some maxigrip Jazzes which I tried, but I don't like the sound they make, so don't use those that often.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I use heavy celluloid picks, usually Jim Dunlop H or X-H
images
They are cheap, give me enough surface to get a good grip and last awhile . Once in a while I use one of these,
images

when I'm in a jazzier mood, playing my Dot Deluxe . I think I bought 10 of them sometime in the late 80s and they just keep turning up .
Mediums and thins last me one song or less on stage. The thins just rip apart and the mediums get flung out of my grasp.
Biddlin ;>)/

shreddy bender

Reaction score
it's been dunlop .73 yellow tortex for many many years. they do wear out but i've never broke one. and when they do go dull and i have no money to buy more i just give them a little sharpening with some sand paper (or a bit of sidewalk if i'm really broke!).

dbb

Reaction score
it's been dunlop .73 yellow tortex for many many years. they do wear out but i've never broke one. and when they do go dull and i have no money to buy more i just give them a little sharpening with some sand paper (or a bit of sidewalk if i'm really broke!).

I used the Tortex as a first choice (now I like the Ultex/Ultem best) and still use them; I have broken a few!