What pick do you use?

BlackSG91

Reaction score
:facepalm: 99% of your tone is in your pick? Oh boy.... that's gonna start another one rolling!

Since that stroke hit me a few months ago, my right hand is still not working with me like it should. I tend to drop picks after a few minutes of playing. Can't seam to hold 'em well anymore. So I've been playing like good old Albert King a lot now. Got that thumb going like a jackhammer and the index and middle finger will work most of the time as well. Maybe my picking days are at an end and the era of the thumb will begin for the old Worm huh? I may even have all my "tone" in my thumb now...:hmm:

Wade

Hey, sometimes I play using my thumb as if I were playing bass guitar, which I used to do in a band way back when. I bet you could get a lot of tone (99% of it) out of furry little paws. That would be a thread worth starting. (Thumbs up):thumb:

25083350.gif

R.A.F.

Reaction score
When I started playing I wouldn't get along with regular picks, as they would always turn around or fall... so I bought some d'andrea tringle picks that are wider... but still not perfect.
DV019_Jpg_Regular_110866.415.161_shell_heavy_front.jpg

later on I ordered some V-picks and they are what I still use. took a while but now I'm settled with the "nexus" model.
NEXB.gif

5.85mm. Thick isn't it?? :naughty:
I'm so used to it I don't ever wanna use 1mm pick again... the beveled edge glides over the strings smoothly and effortless. pick attack is louder when pluged in, but they are very quiet unplugged, differently than celluloid picks.

Last edited:

Tobacco Worm

Reaction score
5.85mm! WOW, that's not a pick. That's a PLANK!:wow:

The way I tend to drop picks if I used one like that and dropped it and hit my foot, I'd break a toe and be laid up like Alex_SG with a cast on my foot!:laugh2:

Wade

Biddlin

Reaction score
Just the picks in my bathrobe's pockets

Whatever picks careless guitarists leave within my grasp .

attachment.php

Biddlin ;>)/

Attachments

• P1010125.jpg
    P1010125.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 46

R.A.F.

Reaction score
5.85mm! WOW, that's not a pick. That's a PLANK!:wow:

The way I tend to drop picks if I used one like that and dropped it and hit my foot, I'd break a toe and be laid up like Alex_SG with a cast on my foot!:laugh2:

Wade

still nothing compared to other monstrosities they sell..
ex.gif

11.85mm :ohno:

Slim Guitar

Reaction score
I have recently discovered Planet Waves "Black Ice" picks.
I think that they live up to the name, they slide across the strings like an oyster down your throat !!
1.10 mm thick by the way and even that has no flex in it - they sound excellent.

Tobacco Worm

Reaction score
Even though I now drop picks often and end up playing mostly with fingers, my pick of choice is 180 degrees out from most here. I just got 1/2 gross of the Gibson Standard Thin (.050mm) black picks delivered. My choice for the very thin pick is that I use a very gentle pick attack and often rotate the pick 90 degrees to use the rounded edge and leave little of the pick exposed. Having such a small area there I'm able to get those lovely pinched harmonics and will catch an octave that simply howls! An old trick I learned from my blood brother Ted years ago in Michigan.:naughty:

If I used one of those big monster picks I'd end up blasting a hole in the guitar, then dropping the pick on the floor and it would punch a hole right through the floor. And then I'd have armadillos coming in the house uninvited!:laugh2:

Wade

smitty_p

Reaction score
I just switched to this pick. It's a 2 millimeter Dunlop delrin pick.

My favorite pick is a 2 mm Adamas graphite pick, but delrin is nice, too.

Alex_SG

Reaction score
Funny you say you switched, smitty.. I did too!
I'm now using .73 (Red) Snarling Dog branded "Brain Picks". They are nice and soft, with a textured grip so I don't drop them, and sound great on the SG Special with P90s! Oh, and they're so cheap it's criminal. I got a nice tin box of 10 for about AUD $3.00 on special!
:dude:

Latest posts