What pickups are in Your SG? looking for opinions.

MR D

Reaction score
I have the original tar backs in my 1974 (left) & 1976 (right) SG Standards... and they are keepers.

1974-1976-SGs.jpg

WOW, Sharp pair there ! Keepers, I'm sure....always like those 1st fret in-lays on USA Line Gibson's and the Harmonica bridges, VIOLA !..imma sucker for them every time ! is that Black or Aged Cherry finish on the right ?

Vall

Reaction score
I always wanted a p90, but don’t wanna purchase another SG just for this purpose. I play my 2013 Standard with stock 57 classic, but decided zu split the Neck Pickup. So i soldered the additional 2 Wires and installed a Push Pull Tone Pot.

What i can tell so far: Since the Mod, I hardly ever change back to humbucker-mode since 7 months. I can not put my finger on it, but somehow, the guitar and Amp (especially clean stuff) interact in a way, i don‘t wan‘t to miss anymore. It has more clarity (???) and the extreme „woofyness“ while chord-playing is gone. For me this was an eye-opener!

Reaction score
WOW, Sharp pair there ! Keepers, I'm sure....always like those 1st fret in-lays on USA Line Gibson's and the Harmonica bridges, VIOLA !..imma sucker for them every time ! is that Black or Aged Cherry finish on the right ?
The one on the right is black, the factory name for the color was "Ebony."
For vintage 1976 it's a rarity as only 2 "Ebony" SG Standards were dispached, when 1243 "Cherry" SG Standards were made that year.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
El Marin, that is a beautiful example of a tastefully modded SG, and a really interesting pickup combination that I would love to try out and experience in person. I'm not sure I have ever seen that done before, but I could see it being very flexible and useful at times. What style(s) of music do you typically use it for? Not that there should really be any restrictions to a single genre or anything, just curious what the plan was and how it has worked out for you. :cheers:

dumpster chicken

Reaction score
What pickups do you love most, that work the best in your SG for you? i’m trying to see what people like the most, I was thinking most likely 57 classics for me they seem to be a popular choice.

And how many tries did it take to get you there?
I have DiMarzio '59s in my Tokai SG, and I love them. Would definately buy them again.

MR D

Reaction score
Dimarzio Twang King BRIDGE
The Creamery Baby72 NECK

YES.... Telecaster pickups... Love it!!!

SSTmO20.jpg

YXU3KvP.jpg
Thats Bad=A$$........The Bigsby is the B3 Yes? and that looks like the Towner Tension B ar? I have the same setup, interchangeable w/GIBSON's electrics w/TOM Stop-Tail steups.......it is/was not a cheeep set-up, but itssa good one..they make the string holder for doin string changes.....ICB 4get what its called, big help.........B3 is on an SG Special now., I LIKES IT !!!!...Cooiio-OOLIE OH

Reaction score
I have a standard and it’s got the usual 490/498 combo but I ended up swapping their magnets. I think it added clarity to the neck and a less hot bridge. I mostly did it because when I play with modelers the bridge always seemed to easy overdrive and compress more than I wanted. It was a good move!

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The A5 magnet Burstbucker Pro is in the new Modern.
They sound good in a LP.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
57’s have always been my favorites, but I have never intentionally changed Gibson humbuckers. they all sound great as is

I don’t recall what’s in one of my V’s. I know they were swapped around before I got it. It could even be a 400 neck and 57 bridge.

I intend to refinish it at some point so I’ll check then.

my HP Flying V has those dirty fingers pickups, they sound great the name is just really stoopid.

my 92 explorer may have the 400/498’s but I haven’t checked

Dave

Reaction score
I had Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries in my SG. The neck sounds fantastic but the Bridge sounded a little thin with the amp I was using at the time. I put in a Duncan JB at the suggestion of another member here and Love it.

SGJB.jpg

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
Personally, I like the Gibson P90s the best. What a great sound!

*Epiphone!

MHO, there are others.

it’s hard to make a bad p90, they are so stoopid simple, even cheap made in China eBay ones sound good.

Epiphone does do minis very well.

smitty_p

Reaction score
What pickups do you love most, that work the best in your SG for you? i’m trying to see what people like the most, I was thinking most likely 57 classics for me they seem to be a popular choice.

And how many tries did it take to get you there?

Do you have an SG now? If so, is there anything wrong with the pickups it came with?

cdituri

Reaction score
I replaced the 490/498s in my Standard because I found them to be lacking clarity and shrill (in the bridge). I've got T-Tops now and love them. They sound like 57s with a bit more clarity to me.

TChalms

Reaction score
The pickups in my Epi SG G-310 were real muddy. I tried adjusting pickup height, but wasn't hearing what I wanted, so I replaced them with Seymour Duncan Jazz Neck and SD 59/Custom and added coil splitting pots. I love the variety, clarity and jazz tones. Not exactly what people think an SG "should" sound like, but it's what I like and it makes me pick it up every day.

3bolt79

Reaction score
My fave set is the 490/498T set. It seems that I can only get them from the factory in an LP Studio.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Not exactly what people think an SG "should" sound like, but it's what I like and it makes me pick it up every day.
And that is exactly what you should be going for. There is no point what so ever in going for a sound or set up that is what someone else thinks it should be. I enjoy seeing other people's gear and choices, but the concept of "best" never enters into it. Sometimes I see things I like or would want to try for myself, but at the end of the day, if someone is happy with their guitar that is a win all the way around.

Latest posts