What SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by mwothe, Jan 22, 2007.

1. mwothe

mwothe New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi, Newbie poster here

I bought this guitar in around 1990 for $200 at a music store in Minneapolis. I don't remember liking it that much; I ended up playing pretty much telecasters for the next 10 years. I will spare you the story, but I didn't see the guitar again until around 2004. I started playing it around the house the last year or so and found myself really playing it a lot. I tried it with a band through my Savage Macht 12. Holy crap it sounded fantastic. Marshall Super Bass and a 4x12 was insane. I couldn't believe the great sound I could get out of this thing. I love it.

The neck is the smallest one I've ever owned. 1-1/2" nut and 3/4" thick. I have huge hands and have always thought I would hate this but it's surprisingly comfortable. The only downside is that I have to be wary of letting my left arm's weight rest on it too much or the neck flexes and it's detuning is noticeable. Aggressive bending also has this effect.

Before I owned it someone moved the output jack to the end of the guitar and filled the hole on top. This made it a drag to set down against anything while it was plugged in, you had to unplug it or have an empty stand handy. I put a new jack in where it was supposed to be but never filled the hole on the end.

The controls are in bad shape right now, either from age or the sheer amount of dirt accumulated (yes, I've been meaning to clean it up) so that there is an intermittent failure when switching pickups. So far I have lived with it but it happens enough to elicit my temper on occasion. The pots are simply stamped COSMOS JAPAN, no other identifying marks or codes. The cavity and inside its cover are neatly shielded with foil. The controls are wired differently than my Les Paul, the bottom vol and tone are for the neck pickup rather than the bridge.

Tuners I think are Schallers? They are sealed and are identified with an "S" and "Made in W Germany".

I can't find a serial number or "Made in ____" on the headstock or anywhere else on or inside the guitar. I have wondered if it's a copy but it looks very much like some pics on elsewhere on this site. A pretty reputable repair shop's guy once referred to it was an SGII but from the pics here it looks like the II has the control cavity routed from the front. To me it looks the most like a pic of a 1974 Special.

I'd really like to clean this thing up, replace the controls altogether. Any advice on replacements? Someday maybe refinish, you can see where there is some cracking on the headstock. I'm sure I'll be back here looking for advice when that time comes.

Sorry for the long post, I'm not known for my brevity.

Great site, thanks!

Mark

2. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

I know nothing, but that's cool.

:-)
    Neo

3. shouston

shouston New Member

4. mwothe

mwothe New Member

5. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Mid 70s Special, probably earlier rather than late based on the fact it has a TOM bridge rather than the Schaller "harmonica". :)

6. *ess*

*ess* Member

yep i agree. mid 70s special

I have a 73 with the block inlays like that, except it has the harmonica bridge.

7. peterbright

peterbright Active Member

Do you have a picture of the back of the headstock?

8. mwothe

mwothe New Member

I'll try and post one tonight! :)

Mark

9. mwothe

mwothe New Member

[​IMG]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l235/mwothe/IMG_0323.jpg[/img]