What strings ship on a 2021 Gibson SG Srandard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by posternutbag, Jul 21, 2021 at 9:03 PM.

1. posternutbag

posternutbag New Member

The title really says it all. I would have thought this would be an easy question to answer, and perhaps it is, and I just don’t know where to look, but what strings ship on a 2021 SG Standard? I just bought one and love it. I changed strings yesterday; I put D’addario NYXL 10s on it and really don’t like the sound. I would love to go back to the old strings.

2. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan New Member

NYXL 1046 is what Repair & Restoration put on my Standard a few weeks ago.
    I saw a new one online and it looked like it had the same alternating brass/silver ends.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The spec sheet on the website lists the string gauge as 10-46. Brand of strings from the factory is probably Gibson Brite Wire Reinforced.

I’ve tried the NYXL in the past and did not like them. Been using 10-46 XL for decades with no issues.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 5:48 AM
  4. MR D

MR D Member

I actually checked the gauge on the new 2020 SG Standard 'Modern' I bought and they were .09's. I've no idea what brand those strings actually were, but they weren't D'Ad's due to non multi coloured ball ends.
    if the 2021's are out there I have yet to see one and I have stopped looking as the local stores out out of stock completely..

5. posternutbag

posternutbag New Member

The spec sheet says 10s, but I suspect it actually had 9s, based on the way the 10s feel now. Also, the originals didn’t have colored ball ends, so my suspicion is Gibson Brite Wire 9s. Thanks to everyone who has responded. I appreciate it.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Brite Wire 9-46

posternutbag likes this.
  7. posternutbag

posternutbag New Member

That seems to be the case. The website says 10s, but 10s didn’t feel right, but when I went to D’ Addario XL 9s, they felt very similar to the ones that came on the guitar originally.

thanks to everyone.