What the BEST Distortion/Overdrive Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by HedZeppelin, Apr 2, 2006.

1. HedZeppelin

HedZeppelin Member

Ok, I've messed around with a lot of distortion/overdrive pedals.
    Here's my situation:

I use a Fender Blues DeVille 212. Sweet amp, for clean, not good for distortion. So, I use a RAT pedal for distortion,
    but I have to step on my EQ every time I use it to get any kind of bottom end. Otherwise, it's too trebly.
    That's a pain to have to stomp two pedals at once!

I also use a Digitech Hot Rod Pedal, which is nice for overdrive sounds.
    HOWEVER....What I'm trying to get.....(and this may sound impossible)...is a Marshall sound on the overdrive/distortion.
    I've tried the Marshall pedals and they're too noisy, and really don't sound anything like a Marshall at all.

I also want to have the EQ in the pedal itself, so that I don't have to step on the EQ pedal when using distortion.

WHAT do you think is the best pedal for my application?

2. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

I'm a big fan of DigiTech's Grunge distortion. It's probably the most Marshally-sounding effect I've come across in my time. As I've said before, the name is lousy and I think that's why this pedal hasn't attained legendary status in distortion circles yet. It was obviously done for marketing purposes, but this one goes way beyond a grunge sound. I run my gain around 3-4, and it gives a Marshall-type tone that I'd describe as a "brown' sound with more gain. Dial it beyond 5 or 6 and you go into supergain territory. It reacts very well to rolling off the volume knob on the guitar, responding like a Marshall would. It's cheap, too! You could always buy yourself a Marshall too. The best way to get Marshall tone is to play through a Marshall. A/B 'em and use the Fender for cleans and the Marshall for dirty. :lol:

3. HedZeppelin

HedZeppelin Member

Stareater...thanks! I wouldn't have even thought to try that pedal with a name like that!
    Yeah, I could get a Marshall, but.........they're expensive, for one...and it's more to lug around!
    I want to stay lean and mean if I can.
    I'll have to try that pedal though!

4. swlabr67

swlabr67 Member

id recomend what im using...

and that is my Xotic BB Preamp.. to me, its the best overdrive around and it had just the sound i was lookin for..
    it also has a bass and a treble knob for you tweaking needs..

http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/bb_preamp/index.html
    check out some of those reality web videos of the pros that use their pedals while you are there. it might be what your lookin for.

it has a pretty good midrange and marshall type sound.
    check it out O0

5. Baffo

Baffo New Member

6. takkun

takkun Member

Its only 15$, but its a great little pedal: the Danelectro FAB overdrive and FAB distortion...both are great, with a warm, rich tone. The actual pedal isnt high on durability, but I am thinking of getting another one and putting it in a standard enclosure.
    I don't have a guitar amp, so it sounds great with my Fender Rumble and totally wacky with a Fender Frontman 15 with its tinny metallic (the amp) distortion on.

7. HedZeppelin

HedZeppelin Member

Wow...now I've gotta go and check these all out! I am looking for that Marshall sound thru a Fender amp. That "up front", "in your face" sound...like Angus Young gets. So, I'm going to check out these suggestions! Thanks very much to all and any more that you can think of!

8. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

I use a DOD Grunge pedal. It sounds great. My amp is a Marshall Jibilee and some stupid Crate head that I got a while back which I'm upgrading to a Mesa soon, I'll let ya know when I get it because its hard to tell with this amp which distortion pedal is good, but for now I say the DOD grunge, or digitech grunge, basically the same thing, ones just cheaper

9. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

Good man, BMW! O0 I use the Grunge as my main distortion(in my DigiTech 2101). I run it as my "lead channel" off the Peavey power amp(both gains on 10) with the gain around 3-4 and the master distortion volume at 12(that's the way it works in the preamp; no tone controls) and it screams with high-gain saturated distortion at those levels. Awesome distortion. :Bangin:

10. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

If attempting to get a Marshall Sound out of a Fender Amp......(which is eminently possible by the way) I have to say that I have used two methods with Great Success.

Firstly: I had a Fender Concert 1X12 with which I used a Pair of Tube Screamers. (Yes....Two)
    The trick with this particular Amp was to use the 2nd Channel with quite a bit of the Amp's Gain Rolled Off. The First TS was set with the Drive at about 9 o'clock and was left On all the time. Used in this way it was easy to get a typical Fender Clean with the Guitar's Volume Backed Off to say 5.
    Open the Guitar's Volume and one gets a very nice Crunch, however.....if you took the Guitar Volume to about 7 instead of Wide Open....then one got a Beautiful Growl on the Clean which worked especially well with Picked Chords.

The Second TS was set up with Drive to Suit whatever one required. Typically I would run that one at Drive around 12 o'clock. There were several occasions when I needed that sound throughout a number....and on at least 3 occasions the sound fooled several very experienced players into thinking that I was using a Marshall. :coolsmiley:

The More recent method though was (To My Ears at least) by far the most convincing, though lacked "some" of the flexability offered by the Pair of Tube Screamers....... And That was the Xotic "BB Preamp". It is a very flexible Pedal which can go from Clean Boost through to complete Mayhem ;D ;D.

My Biggest Regret though? I never got to try the Menatone Fish Factory that Voxman will hopefully talk about on his return. Great Things are being said about Menatone in many places and if Voxy says that it is Good...then believe me....you need to try it!

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

11. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

This is my favorite so far, thick, raunchy, and classic.

[​IMG]

12. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I have to agree with gearpig on that one O0

13. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I like the guitarweasel outburst pedal! :funny:

[​IMG]

14. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Where can I buy one of those Vox?

15. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

16. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

The Weas makes em in his basement upon demand! ;)

17. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

haha vox you've gotta photoshop a pedal for me :dance:

18. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=7618.msg101055#msg101055 date=1145666303]
    The Weas makes em in his basement upon demand!  ;)
    [/quote]

Also available at Guitar Center and fine Wal - Mart stores.

19. weaselspawn

weaselspawn Member

I always had a soft spot in my heart for the BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion. It's one of the pedals Kurt Cobain used, so don't lynch me for saying that, since that's pretty much what I always used to play. I think it's discontinued, though - and I've been after my dad to get me one on eBay ever since he sold his!

Consider it a donation to a Hurricane Katrina victim. ;D

20. wolfzbane

wolfzbane Member

There can be no definitive conclusion since all od/dist pedals have their own flavor and will react slightly differently depending on the guitar and amp used.
    And different people, different tastes, etc.....
    Personally, I love my RATs, I have the Turbo and the DeuceTone, and they give me some very organic, although a bit dark, distortion.
    Yet when I kick-in the Marshall Jackhammer pedal (which a lot of people seem to despise a lot) when using my Classic 57 equipped SG through the Fender Blues Jr...... wow, nirvana.
    I only use the OD on the Jackhammer and then only set it at a quarter turn. It gives me some very beautiful dirty breakup. Does NOT sound like a Marshall amp, but is still a very nice tone.
    And then there's my little favorite, the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808. Oooooo, now we're talking smoooottthhhhh OD. Man that little pedal reacts well almost anywhere.