What the BEST Distortion/Overdrive Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by HedZeppelin, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=7618.msg101984#msg101984 date=1145997254]
    Dang SB.....

You make it sound like a wife!
    [/quote]

No, spunks.... I said this was a cinch to control! ;D

2. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I think I'll play with the amp and my stomp boxes a bit to see if I can get what I want...then I'll decide which one I want if I need it.....
    I just had dental work done today....$1295.00......That's a new SG Standard and the MXR and some other stuff....yikrs!

What has dental work gone up forefold in the last 5 years?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

3. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Strange Brew link=topic=7618.msg101996#msg101996 date=1145999290]
    [quote author=Spunky link=topic=7618.msg101984#msg101984 date=1145997254]
    Dang SB.....

You make it sound like a wife!
    [/quote]

No, spunks.... I said this was a cinch to control!   ;D
    [/quote]

:funny:

4. Cherry Red

Cherry Red New Member

Has anyone here tried any of the following, and if so what do you think of them?

a) Line 6 Tonecore Crunchtime Overdrive b) Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory c) Digitech Hothead Distortion d) Vox Cooltron Big Ben Overdrive e) Zoom G2 Multi FX

I use an Epi G400 through a Marshall MG30 DFX combo and am trying to get as close as possible to a classic overdriven SG through a Marshall stack sound as it's possible to get with my "budget" equipment. Am currently using an old Zoom 1010 multi FX unit but am not particularly thrilled with any of the od/dist effects on it.

I'm more into old school 70s rock than all this nu-metal stuff. Anyone have any recommendations?

5. sgSter

sgSter Member

[quote author=Cherry Red link=topic=7618.msg106005#msg106005 date=1147451580]
    Has anyone here tried any of the following, and if so what do you think of them?

a) Line 6 Tonecore Crunchtime Overdrive  b) Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory  c) Digitech Hothead Distortion  d) Vox Cooltron Big Ben Overdrive  e) Zoom G2 Multi FX

I use an Epi G400 through a Marshall MG30 DFX combo and am trying to get as close as possible to a classic overdriven SG through a Marshall stack sound as it's possible to get with my "budget" equipment.  Am currently using an old Zoom 1010 multi FX unit but am not particularly thrilled with any of the od/dist effects on it.

I'm more into old school 70s rock than all this nu-metal stuff.  Anyone have any recommendations?
    [/quote]

I have one of those amps and find it does not take pedals very well. If you want to pursue this path, go to local GC or similar and plug various pedals into one and test them out with your guitar. Note: use the clean channel.

6. HedZeppelin

HedZeppelin Member

Wow...I've been away for awhile, and came back to read this thread just today! Lots of opinions, which are greatly appreciated!

7. Oenone Moonhead

Oenone Moonhead Member

Danelectro Fab-1 anybody?

8. sgSter

sgSter Member

I have a FAB Overdrive pedal. I think it's great. They seem to be gaining in popularity especially for the cost ($15usd)

9. muzak

muzak Member

cant go wrong with

[​IMG]

10. 2722532

2722532 New Member

I love the Big Muff and I'm now considering a EHX Metal Muff. Has anyone heard it already?

11. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

Ive heard nothing but good about this little pedal. Its cheap too
    [​IMG]
    anyone used one?

12. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Member

I tried one of those out at my local music shop about to months ago.. its sounded pretty good..

13. jonn

jonn Member

[quote author=2722532 link=topic=7618.msg106739#msg106739 date=1147707851]
    I love the Big Muff and I'm now considering a EHX Metal Muff. Has anyone heard it already?
    [/quote]

I've heard a Metal Muff in a local store yesterday. I can't say it was something great. If you need more gain than the original Big Muff, you could give a try to the Double Muff for extra distortion. The Double Muff has two Muff circuits in a series. So you can use one of them or both and control the amount of gain for each one of them.

14. muzak

muzak Member

i used to have a double muff...they're no good. unless you like your sound muddy. with single coils, it was decent, but the humbuckers always sounded real muddy. i sold mine. it's good if you're wanting to do some Jesus and Mary Chain or shoegazer sounding stuff.

15. Cobra8272

Cobra8272 New Member

Boss OD-3
    best under rated pedal on the market.
    Got turned on to it over at the TPDRI page ( fender stuff).
    Everyone whose used one gives glowing praise - me included.
    The BadMonkey gets good reviews too!

16. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

Booster pedals seem to mate up very well with tube amps, and usually provide better results than distortion boxes (unless you're looking for an over-the-top nu-metal tone). I love my ThroBak Strangemaster in front of the 50-watt Jubilee head, and I can't wait to try it in front of the modded Plexi(although it won't need more gain than it will come back with). It can boost to saturated overdrive if you like, and has plenty of boost/eq options. Well worth the $149.

[​IMG]

Here's the website if anyone is interested in checking it out further:

http://www.gundrymedia.typepad.com/

17. takkun

takkun Member

I just love the name..."strange master..."

18. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

Yeah, it is cool 8) On top of that, the pedal really does sound fantastic. O0

19. scnuke

scnuke Member

I've always been kind of a minimalist when it comes to effects, but I have to agree with the pig and weasel. I love the RAT, coupled with a cry baby, it covers most everything I do. If I need something really wierd, I have a Digi RP-80 multi box. Most of those effects sound really fake, but for weekend bangin' it works and it was cheap.
    My amp is an old Kustom 100 T&R. It takes to pedals really well in addition to having a great clean. 8)

20. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

I would have to go with the Pro Rat which was previously discussed.  Another that I like even more is the Crowthers Hotcake.  Mine is the 2 knob variety.  It's really good for chord work and lead lines.  Jet uses this allot on their album.

[​IMG]