What the BEST Distortion/Overdrive Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by HedZeppelin, Apr 2, 2006.

1. the bacon

the bacon Member

digitech bad monkey is pretty good.

2. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=7618.msg101015#msg101015 date=1145656665]
    I like the guitarweasel outburst pedal! :funny:

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Man, asking what is the best DISTORTION pedal is like asking who is the most beautiful woman in the world.
    Ask 10 people and you may get 10 different answers (especially if their wife/gf is in the room).

Also, there's DISTORTION, OVERDRIVE, and FUZZ and as far as I know, no one pedal does it all.

I really dig ROBERT FRIPP type FUZZ with gobs of SUSTAIN and sometimes I want to sound like
    a full stack 100 watt just before meltdown. Lately, I've been thinking about the EH BIG MUFF though....

3. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

Very true, Vic, but if someone asks everyone is going to give their opinion. By the way, mentioning that your wife is the most beautiful woman in the world when she's in the room is like the reflex of starting up your amp on standby so the tubes can warm up - pretty much an automated action. :funny:

4. In The Light

In The Light Member

i like my russian muff, which is as aold as dirt (well it was my pops, then my brother, then mine)

I also like this little black box no letters, a knob and a button i was given in a trade (he didnt mean to give it to me, he left it in the back of an amp cab...i called him up, he said keep it)
    it gives you this creamy psychedelic tone with fenders, and you can get that sabbath sound with it...man this thing rocked....it crapped out on my once, and when it was repaired it never sounded the same... :cry: so i sold it, the person who got it loved it..

5. the bacon

the bacon Member

[quote author=In The Light link=topic=7618.msg124061#msg124061 date=1153678267]
    i like my russian muff, which is as aold as dirt (well it was my pops, then my brother, then mine)

I also like this little black box no letters, a knob and a button i was given in a trade (he didnt mean to give it to me, he left it in the back of an amp cab...i called him up, he said keep it)
    it gives you this creamy psychedelic tone with fenders, and you can get that sabbath sound with it...man this thing rocked....it crapped out on my once, and when it was repaired it never sounded the same... :cry: so i sold it, the person who got it loved it..

[/quote]

thats sucks

6. HedZeppelin

HedZeppelin Member

UPDATE: Well....I went to the music store to try some of the pedals mentioned here....and....I ended up buying a
    Peavey ValveKing amp, and a Michael Kelly Patriot custom guitar.

Asking this question has cost me a few bucks...but thanks for your replies!

Here's the MK custom.
    [​IMG]

7. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

cool! i see LP,Tele, and maybe a wee SG in there!

8. HedZeppelin

HedZeppelin Member

Yeah, I had it modified with 57 classic pups, but it still sounds crappy. I'm returning it.
    They did a nice job on it, but I think the wood is inferior.

9. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

have you checked the pots? if they don't measure out it can greatly effect your tone and nothing you can do about it til you change that!

10. HedZeppelin

HedZeppelin Member

It was TOTALLY rewired....new, hi-quality wire, NEW CTS pots, and '57 classic humbuckers.
    I'm returning it, and getting a EPI Les Paul Plain Top.