WHAT THE HELL?? 70's SG madness!!!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by the1, May 26, 2009.

1. the1

the1 New Member

Hi guys! New here ;)
    Okay, so yesterday I managed to acquire (for free) a 70's Gibson SG- according to the serial number, it was made between 70-72 in Nashville. Here it is:

[​IMG]

HOWEVER, all is not well!!
    As far as I can tell, it's genuine. Here's some things that contribute towards me thinking it's authentic:

Headstock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taipiece (Lyre Vibrola)
    [​IMG]

But the biggest issue is the neck. For some reason, it was bolted on (BUT as we will see, that's not what it seems):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I did what anyone would do. I took it apart...

Well, my first thoughts, judging by the fact that the strap button had been moved down below the heel, was that whoever the f*ck had before decided to remove the neck and bolt it back on. This could have been because of damage, and looking further, I discovered 2 identical cracks either side of the neck joint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, these don't seem very deep- more like sruface finish cracks. They don't continue into the neck itself (as far as I can see).

So, I decided to take off the strings and take the plate of the back of the neck to see what the flip what going on.
    Here's what I found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we can see, the neck, despite having a bolt plate, is still set-in.
    So odd! We can see that the bolt plate took some of the varnish off:
    [​IMG]

So, I guess my point is, what the hell should I do with this thing??
    I obviously can't sell it on. The neck's been ****ed with and the machineheads have been replaced with Grovers. I assume it's a 70's Standard, but tbh I'm pretty confused!
    Some of the paint is flaking near the headstock and logo, how can I stop that?? I need ot replace the bridge saddles- is that possible??
    The electronics look in order. I haven't played it plugged in yet though.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the wall of text!!

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG the1! :) :) :)

Interesting SG. We should get some interesting input on it too. Obviously a neck repair. And as to selling it........... you may not get as much for it, but if you got it for free, then anything you got would be profit, right? But I would suggest plugging it in first and see how it plays.......... you may be surprised.

3. the1

the1 New Member

Thanks!
    Well I'm cleaning the fretboard now. Thirsty thing- already looking darker and better.

The polepieces were sunk waaaaay into the pickups so I've had to bring them back up. Won't be able to try this thing on an amp for a month though :(

4. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

Free?????
    No story????
    WTH
    ...................How.............do..............you...........get........a..........free..............vintage................SG????
    >:(
    Nice guitar BTW
    :Droolin:

5. the1

the1 New Member

It was my Uncles. For some reason, he didnt want it!!

SO im gonna replace the bridge saddles and keep the neck plate on

6. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

That neck plate was obviously an attempt to stabilize the neck. Not OEM. A good repair/luthier can do a beautiful job repairing it properly if you ever decide to go that way. In the meantime, if the plate doesn't bother you, rock on, as is. :Bangin:

7. 1Way

1Way Active Member

the1
    I'm not a luthier, but the crack on either side of the neck might not be a major issue. Perhaps the old strap lock bolt (see middle hole under metal cover) started cracking for some reason, so the hole was relocated and covered up with that plate.

The metal plate and screws are likely providing some structural support, so I'd replace them very carefully before restringing and hopefully avoid stripping out the hole threads.

I'd guess it's an early 70's model as this guitar didn't switch to the block inlays yet. SG's tend to have somewhat weak neck joints, and since yours looks questionable, I'd be extra careful about accidental falls, etc.

Were any of the pickup poles set to the top of the pickup? Generally the middle one's are toward the top and the ends are lower thus mimicking the arched profile of the strings.

Nice looking guitar! :coolsmiley: Free!!! :crazy2:

8. the1

the1 New Member

Well the polepieces were really set VERY deep into the pickups- below the coves, so I've raised them up without a problem- although they're covered in some kind of substance, brownish. But it scratches off. The electronics are in great condition- not toyed with.

How could I prevent paint flaking? Especially near the logo at the headstock. Would putting some laquer on stop it getting worse?

9. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=the1 link=topic=19279.msg233382#msg233382 date=1243506751]
    Well the polepieces were really set VERY deep into the pickups- below the coves, so I've raised them up without a problem- although they're covered in some kind of substance, brownish. But it scratches off. The electronics are in great condition- not toyed with.

How could I prevent paint flaking? Especially near the logo at the headstock. Would putting some laquer on stop it getting worse?
    [/quote]
    Not sure the best method for sealing it up, but I think your on the right track, just check in with guitar repair techs before making repairs. I hope you do not refinish the entire guitar. Better to keep the old finish, ware+imperfections and all. There just aren't enough vintage guitars with the original finish/condition around.

That brownish gunk is probably wax. Wow, you might have an original set of pickups in there! Not sure if they are as nice as the famed PAF's of the 60's, but if not, likely a close derivation. Especially back in the late 60's and 70's, it was not uncommon to dip your pickups in hot wax to minimize microphonics. They lower the pole pieces on strings that are too loud compared to the rest. I'm not sure, but I guess you don't know if any of the pole pieces were close to the top of the pickup cover. I would have been surprised if they were all driven below the topside of the cover.

I believe there are at least several luthiers around this forum, so more helpful answers should be on the way.
    ;)

hehehe, your guitar and story grabbed our attention. We forgot to welcome you to our humble abode.
    [move]Welcome to ETSG forums![/move]
    :D

10. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Maybe this will help. Check out the following CLICK HERE from a longtime member.

11. the1

the1 New Member

Thanks for the link!

So, how would I go about replacing the saddles?? Because they seem to be plastic (or bone?). and one of them is pretty much broken in half, whilst the 6th string's slot isn't deep enough. Can I buy saddles individually, or do I need to buy a whole new bridge? If so, where from? Do I require a special type, as this one has thumbwheels to adjust the height rather than standard drill-in...

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=the1 link=topic=19279.msg233412#msg233412 date=1243548986]
    Thanks for the link!

So, how would I go about replacing the saddles?? Because they seem to be plastic (or bone?). and one of them is pretty much broken in half, whilst the 6th string's slot isn't deep enough. Can I buy saddles individually, or do I need to buy a whole new bridge? If so, where from? Do I require a special type, as this one has thumbwheels to adjust the height rather than standard drill-in...
    [/quote]

Look at Allparts or WD for such items, whole bridges and insert saddles. Lots of options....

13. the1

the1 New Member

Okay I'll check it out. Hopefully getting items to the UK isnt a hassle

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Active Member

You should be able to get parts from WD Music and Allparts in the UK. Also try Stewmac.com.

I am in the UK and have ordered bits and pieces from all the above no problem. Axesrus is also worth checking out - they are in Hull.

15. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=the1 link=topic=19279.msg233412#msg233412 date=1243548986]
    Thanks for the link!

[/quote]
    ;D I hear ya. I'm not sure about the differences between the two main bridges made by Gibson, the ABR-1 and the Nashville TOM (tune-o-matic) bridges. Unless your bridge is faulty, I'd just replace the saddles. For tiny bits of non-metallic tone material, they are not cheap.

If you already have some sort of bone/tusq/graphite saddles, then that's a good sign, I'd try to just replace the problem saddles. You'll know if the saddles do or do not have tuning problems after using the whammy bar. Like you seem to be doing, keep an eye over notch size shape and position.

Such a sweet guitar!

16. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Hey, wanna make $20 profit on that guitar?

17. the1

the1 New Member

I'm considering selling this.

How much do you think it could go for?
    I know not alot. I do want an SG (Or a Tele Deluxe), but one that can withstand being played hard- I just don't have enough room to justify keeping a guitar that I don't play!

18. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

... my $20 offer still stands. :coolsmiley:

Well I wouldn't use Fleebay as a guide because people ask obscene prices on there. I'd put her around $1000, maybe less in that condition. That's what it's worth, however people may offer more thanks to the idiots on Fleebay.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, and is the neck stable?

19. the1

the1 New Member

The neck is indeed stable.

20. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

You have to look at the completed auctions on ebay to get an idea of the price that it can sell for.