What to check when buying a used SG?

Guithartic

Reaction score
I’m going to look at a used 2022 Gibson SG Modern this morning. I know to look down the neck and make sure there is no warping and to play it and see if any bends choke out. I’ll also look at the action, and make sure that it can be set up low enough without the thumbscrews hitting bottom. Anything else that are known issues with SGs to check?

DrBGood

Reaction score
I’m going to look at a used 2022 Gibson SG Modern this morning. I know to look down the neck and make sure there is no warping and to play it and see if any bends choke out. I’ll also look at the action, and make sure that it can be set up low enough without the thumbscrews hitting bottom. Anything else that are known issues with SGs to check?
Warped necks are a rarity, I never think of that when buying a guitar. You might think that the sloped (normal) nut makes the neck look warped, it is very likely not.

Same for choking bends. If it happens it is simply that the setup could be better. No biggie here.

Gouged out frets in the cowboy chords area is a thing, so is a cracked neck joint. Cracks extending from the nut under the binding can also be a problem. Repaired headstock break. Crackling controls can have you ask for a lower price. They can easily be cleaned, but you can argue that they'll need replacement :p If owner will let you check and you know what you're doing, truss rod movement. 1/8th turn to the right, 1/4 to the left and back to middle to see if it's working and not maxed.

Guithartic

Reaction score
Warped necks are a rarity, I never think of that when buying a guitar. You might think that the sloped (normal) nut makes the neck look warped, it is very likely not.

Same for choking bends. If it happens it is simply that the setup could be better. No biggie here.

Gouged out frets in the cowboy chords area is a thing, so is a cracked neck joint. Cracks extending from the nut under the binding can also be a problem. Repaired headstock break. Crackling controls can have you ask for a lower price. They can easily be cleaned, but you can argue that they'll need replacement :p If owner will let you check and you know what you're doing, truss rod movement. 1/8th turn to the right, 1/4 to the left and back to middle to see if it's working and not maxed.
These are good. Thanks. I’m pretty sure those things won’t be a problem on this one, as it was made on April 29, 2022. I’ll let you know.

Guitar Whiskey

Reaction score
I'd put a strap on it and play it standing up to see if there are any neck dive issues that would annoy you. That's about the only thing specific to an SG. All other things to consider are about the same for any guitar.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Hairline cracks near the neck joint or any other evidence that it’s been dropped.

FF9CB62C-AC79-4EE5-A2FD-1251FD1BCFB1.jpeg
F1FEB8A5-B7CD-48D4-94B7-7CA0B21E18B4.jpeg

3994E7CA-5206-4FF7-B06E-BACFD165DA7E.jpeg

Last edited:

Guithartic

Reaction score
Well, I drove almost the whole way to the right area, but we never did have a specific meeting place. I wasted an hour and a half driving, and the gas. I was hoping I’d hear from the guy along the way, but he never called or responded to the three emails I sent along the way. I even told him where I was and that I had pulled over to wait till I heard from him. He seemed to stop responding when I told him that a good location would be at the county court house parking lot. Maybe the guy changed his mind or something happened, or maybe it was some kind of scam.

beerbelly

Reaction score
I agree with Decadent Dan; check the neck at top & bottom. If there's ANY sign of cracks, keep looking. Also, take a look at the top of the headstock; if the horns are beat, trouble may soon follow.

And neck warping is a thing, but more so on an unfinished neck; take a look at this LP neck I ordered a few years ago:

#277702 twisted.jpg

Guitar Whiskey

Reaction score
Well, I drove almost the whole way to the right area, but we never did have a specific meeting place. I wasted an hour and a half driving, and the gas. I was hoping I’d hear from the guy along the way, but he never called or responded to the three emails I sent along the way. I even told him where I was and that I had pulled over to wait till I heard from him. He seemed to stop responding when I told him that a good location would be at the county court house parking lot. Maybe the guy changed his mind or something happened, or maybe it was some kind of scam.
Perhaps that was just something that came up due to changing circustances or maybe it's a sign of a seller issue. Be careful and use your insticts. Let us know how it comes out.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Bad form there on his part. Some people are the nervous type so perhaps suggest meeting in a store instead if he ever turns up again.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Some people have trouble checking emails on the road.
Indeed, I hate people who think that sending an email or writing on facebook is a good way of reaching you and I don't use that sh!t.. Just fckn call me. It's like the world nowadays thinks it's a good idea to write something on a piece of paper, throw it out the window and count on the fact that you will find it...

Guithartic

Reaction score
Some people have trouble checking emails on the road.
Or…
You might have narrowly avoided a robbery.
Better luck next time.
Right. Since the start of our communication, I gave him my phone number and told him call me since I’d be driving. I put the number in a few of the emails and told him to feel free to text or call. He never used it.

Latest posts