What Wax For My SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Mar 17, 2020.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I leave the excess string length intact.
    Keeps the birds from landing on the headstock and pooping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I laughed, I sharted, I laughed some more. :rofl:

3. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

How else are ya' gonna poke yer eye out?

Daniel.S and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

owie!:io:

I cut my strings off right near the posts
    and bend them over with a needle nose
    so they don't cut me.

I learned this the hard way, of course...

headstock side view@100.jpg

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

6. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

I have tried Zomal, and many others including Virtuoso Which is decent but the absolute best I have found that leaves a beautiful Glossy shine Without stickiness on my nitrocellulose lacquer finish of my Gibson SG Standard or Poly finish Fender Basses and Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AF95 archtop Hollowbody Electrics and 1979 Takimine G-349 Acoustic is Music Nomad The Guitar One that cleans, polishes and protects in one easy step. Just lightly spray and immediately wipe off. It works on the metal hardware Gold, Nickel or Chrome too! It is not a creamy paste. Just clear liquid you spray on and wipe off. I guarantee you will mot ant to use anything else

I realized after writing this I sound like a tv salesperson but I am just an average guitar player who doesn’t like spending a lot of time and elbow grease keeping my stuff looking nice

7. axemanv90

axemanv90 New Member

I just use basic el Cheapo guitar cleaner like Lizard Spit or Dunlop 65 to clean them up and then rub on a protective coat of liquid carnauba wax. Not particular about any brands, but you can get good stuff formulated for guitar at local and online music stores. If you have some wax that's not specifically for guitar, make sure it's 100% carnauba wax. It's hard to tell what they put in car formulas.

8. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

I have one Nitrocellulose laquer finish on my Gibson SG Standard. It is beautiful but that only lasts a few years. I was unaware that Laquer finish never truly just dries but continues to "Gas off" over time which in a couple decades the finish will be thin and the color faded. Poly is a much better finish that has special hardners added by the manufacturer. Unless It is an Accoustic I have real doubts laquer has any advantage if at all.

9. Blkjakk

Blkjakk Member

Straight carnuba wax is #1 for all of my guitars including my Gibsons!

10. nasticanasta

nasticanasta New Member

unless my guitars has a bunch of finger goo all over the fretboard, i don't really clean my guitars, mine has sweat, blood, drool, beer, etc on them...I certainly do not wax them, i've worn off the finish on the back of the neck on my 94 SG

11. GraphX12

GraphX12 Member

Wearing my Zog’s t-shirt circa 1975’ish:
    Zog's.jpg

Biddlin likes this.
  12. VSG

VSG Member

I just never polish them. Once in a while I will just wipe it down with a soft cloth. No need to add more gunk to the finish.

nasticanasta likes this.
  13. Greg Coats

Greg Coats New Member

I agree about the Highway One's being excellent guitars I had a honey blonde one however, about a week after I bought it a piece of the front body paint just fell off lol I kept it because at the time I thought the bare wood gave it more character. A precursor to a relic job :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  14. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

Way back from the 60's, I'm another long, long time user. Bought my first Gibson at a local music store [ and if my memory is right - the store handled Gibson, Fender, Baldwin, and Ampeg. ]. As part of the sale, the owner gave me my first bottle of pump polish. As for the fret board, I remember being told to use Lemon Oil with the proper old t-shirt / underwear applicator very sparingly [ It will soften fretboard marker glue ] on the finger board. Ever since, I've been using these products and really see no need to change.

Other than the effects of time, my guitars have aged very well with these products, including an ancient beginning of the 70's Epiphone Casio. Yet I'm not against change or trying new things ..... for a good reason. lemon oil.jpg polish.jpg

NMA likes this.
  15. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Depends on when your Fender was Built. By the mid 90's Lacquer was banned in California for anything but furniture or cabinets. Most guitar manufacturers went to a polyester type color with a Urethane Clear Coat. so if you've got a 90's USA Strat, it has a Urethane finish. Mexico on the other hand is probably lacquer. Cheaper

NMA likes this.
  16. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Glad you don't stand on stage next to me. We'd be some fighting MF'ers

17. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Lots of myths here. All Fenders use a poly finish pretty much, except the occasions where they specifically note, such as limited editions (typically Americans), Vintage Reissues (again, Americans, or specific Mexican guitars of note), and artist models where the artist specified a lacquer finish such as the Flea Roadworn Jazz Bass or the Eric Johnson Stratocasters.

Also, the American Reissues have always had nitro, while I don’t know the legality of it, the Fullerton reissues up until the American Originals have had at least a nitro topcoat (which for ‘60s Fenders, it is actually vintage-correct).

18. Prontocruiser

Prontocruiser New Member

Having refinished or cleaned up scratches in various finishes from nitro to polyurethane to polyester, I can say if all you want to do is polish your guitar (except for faded finishes) a good Carnauba car wax works great. You don't want one with silicone, mostly because there is no real protection provided and if you ever refin, it can be nightmare with the repaint.

Combo waxes look good, but usually seem to leave a weird looking haze on the guitar where your arm is, when you perspire a bit, but will rub out.

Gibson SG Standard has a nitro finish, so wax is fine. If you are looking to just get the nitro shine back, you can use 3M Perfect-It. It's a very fine polish, and works great on nitro for very fine scratches and as the last step in refinishing. You can either use a polisher (carefully) or just a soft cotton cloth. It will bring it right back up and look like new.