What were the original tuners on Gibson SG Special 2003?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by martin malbon, Dec 29, 2020.

1. martin malbon

martin malbon New Member

I have a nice Gibson SG Special cherry (gloss, not matt), but it's been modified by having different pups and tuners prior to me owning it. It suffers slightly from neck/head dive, it does have quite a thick neck, but I read somewhere a suggestion that fitting lighter tuners can help with this. Now the tuners that are fitted are Wilkinson, and are not the original vintage style, they're much more chunky. So, i thought I'd get some original Gibson tuners and return them to standard.

So, my question is, does anyone know what the original tuners were on this guitar? Gibson do a number of different sets of vintage style tuners (PMMH-010, PMMH-040 etc.) and from the Thommann website it appears they require different diameter holes drilling. But which is the right one?

thanks in advance, Martin

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

rdsg.jpg P1010015.JPG

Gibson Deluxe as shown above. 10mm posts w/threaded bushings.

3. martin malbon

martin malbon New Member

Wow, that was a quick reply! I guess that's the PMMH-010 then.

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Gibson Deluxe are the stock tuners.
    Grover Deluxe 135N are the same tuners at a fraction of the cost.

[​IMG]

5. Flaps

Flaps New Member

Were the neck/body finishes the same on the Special as the Standard at this time? I've an 04 gloss wine red one (although think this colour was only on the Special then).
    Got it new as an engagement gift from the now wife. I found the receipt the other day, £475, the Tribute is now more than double that! I seem to remember the Standard being around £850, but I preferred the dots in the neck at that time and this colour so went for the cheaper option.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yes.
    They were available in cherry and ebony gloss finishes. Same finish quality as the Standards. Only difference between the two guitars is the Standard has a bound neck with trapezoids, headstock logo as inlay with crown, 498T instead of 490T.

2004 SG Specials with the gloss finish are one of my favorites. Every one that I have ever encountered had a nice thick rounded neck profile and was a treat to play.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Flaps likes this.
  7. MacDiarmada

MacDiarmada New Member

My 91 special had “GIBSON DELUXE” and my 13 has “KLUSON DELUXE”. I’ve also seen the “GROVER DELUXE” come standard, as somebody else posted.

Attached Files:

8. davesultra

davesultra New Member

I had an ‘01 Ebony Gloss Special that I foolishly sold. Was a nice 7.5lbs and balanced perfectly. Yes, Kluson style tuners will help a bit in alleviating the neck dive issue.

9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Stock tuners are Gibson De Luxe, light weight tuners.
    Schaller G-Series Deluxe KeyStone are great too with double ring knobs like vintage SGs

SG Standard TBK 179.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

That £475 would be £745 today with inflation. Which happens to be exactly what a new SG Tribute costs!

"Grover Deluxe" would not come from the factory, except maybe in a rare case of a mistaken shipment. "Kluson Deluxe" were used from around 2012-2015 and made by TonePros with a slightly higher gear ratio of 15:1.