What year Greco SG is this?

Puck Luck

Reaction score
Hey all, new guy here. I'm looking at buying an sg on Jauce and it's got some interesting headstock things going on. Been trying to research the Greco models and differences, from what I can tell it looks like a Mint collection truss rod cover but with a closed O logo and and crown inlay with the curved bottom, not the usual mint collection inlay I'm seeing all the time. The crown with the curved bottom seems to appear on the newer models. My head is spinning from looking at headstocks and catalogs. lol Looks like a two-piece body. Anyone know if this guy is worth scooping up? I'm loving the wood grain in the body. Looks like it can be turned into a real nice axe.

i-img1000x1000-1655340804drtuer384895 (1).jpg i-img1000x1000-1655340804y92uhl384895.jpg i-img1000x1000-1655340804wh596i384895.jpg

i-img1000x1000-1655340804cd2u66384895 (1).jpg

Satellitedog

Reaction score
The body looks very much like a Tokai SG (different horn shaping, and body contours, very uniform across the decades, my 2017-18 Tokai SG has pretty much the same body shape), and Tokai did build guitars for the Greco brand.

Here's a Tokai built LP Custom from the Mint Collection era, and it has the closed O, and same logo font (thick lettering)

Puck Luck

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep my eye out for one and start paying more attention to the shape details!

rabbit

Reaction score
The super real series are claimed to be the best Gibson copies, however there were also acceptable models before and after that period. Many Japanese manufacturers were doing copy guitars to very close specifications at that time including brands; Aria Pro II, Greco/Ibanez, Tokai. I have a Greco SG Junior from the late 70's which is identical to the Ibanez SG Junior at the same time in relation to routes, construction components etc., with only a difference in brand name logo inlay in the headstock. They were of course sister brands coming out of the same factory.

I agree that yours appears to come from the Mint Collection time period especially looking at the truss rod cover design as you've mentioned. But the closed O may make it an earlier release or transition before the more common open O mimicking Gibson.

https://vintagejapanguitars.com/greco-guitar-catalogues/

I'll include a photo of my '76 Greco SGJ headstock... a thinner open book compared to yours, and the 3 screw truss rod cover compared to yours which is more like the Gibson 2 screw bell truss rod cover. We all know that a 2 screw bell shaped truss rod cover guitar plays better than an inferior 3 screw because a single action truss rod with acorn nut is superior to a single action hex head. And it should obviously cost more too.

IMG_E3821HSSm.JPG

Satellitedog

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep my eye out for one and start paying more attention to the shape details!
I learned the hard way. I wanted a MIJ, white SG copy, and once I could afford it, the only option for weeks was a Greco, that looked alright in the few low res photos the seller uploaded, so I jumped on it, and only after it'd arrived did I learn about Greco having lower end series built at the Korean Cort factory, where they didn't use the same templates, and used bits and pieces of wood for solid colour guitars. The instrument wasn't bad by any means, great sustain, but it was too heavy (over 3.6 kilograms, almost 8 lbs) and the body contours were too soft, so I turned it over to a local luthier to turn it into a proper early '60s SG with recontouring of the wood, and a complete refinish. Once it's done, I'll upload pics.

Puck Luck

Reaction score
I learned the hard way. I wanted a MIJ, white SG copy, and once I could afford it, the only option for weeks was a Greco, that looked alright in the few low res photos the seller uploaded, so I jumped on it, and only after it'd arrived did I learn about Greco having lower end series built at the Korean Cort factory, where they didn't use the same templates, and used bits and pieces of wood for solid colour guitars. The instrument wasn't bad by any means, great sustain, but it was too heavy (over 3.6 kilograms, almost 8 lbs) and the body contours were too soft, so I turned it over to a local luthier to turn it into a proper early '60s SG with recontouring of the wood, and a complete refinish. Once it's done, I'll upload pics.
That stinks but looking forward to the transformation!

rabbit

Reaction score
Thank you. The guitar was good enough to turn it into something better.
I look forward to seeing the transformation as well! I too have been on the hunt for an early 80's greco sg in white with no luck, but recently found an Edwards E-SG-90LT2/P from 2012... I'll upload pics when it gets here next week from Japan.

Puck Luck

Reaction score
You bought the white one! lol I bought the red edwards E-SG-90LT2/P that was up just before that one.

rabbit

Reaction score
You bought the white one! lol I bought the red edwards E-SG-90LT2/P that was up just before that one.
Yes sir,... we both probably knew you better get it while you see it. They don't show up often for sale.

I originally had my heart set on a white greco sg junior but it turned out to be a bogus web site that wanted only bank transfer for payment. Tucked my tail and backed away, then saw the edwards listed on the bay a couple of days later. Waited about two weeks before saying ok, you can come home with me.

Puck Luck

Reaction score
Ha, nice! Mine is getting prepared for shipment. We will have to post back when we get them in. :-)

Puck Luck

Reaction score
She's a beauty! White is the best solid color on an SG. I got mine in today too and and OBG sg as well. It kills me but my friend really wants the edwards, might let him have it begrudgingly. lol
https://guitarrestos.com/1994-orville-by-gibson-61-re-issue-sg/
20220816_201000072_ios-min.jpg

https://guitarrestos.com/edwards-e-sg-90lt2-p/
20220816_221438317_ios-min-e1660696383451.jpg

rabbit

Reaction score
Those are both great looking guitars! Only reason I'd share the Edwards is if I had another all P90... (which I do but I still don't think I could let it go).

Awesome man, thanks for sharing!

Puck Luck

Reaction score
Thanks! I have to ask.... do you have any bunny guitars? errrr Burny guitars. lol

Puck Luck

Reaction score
Nice collection! I figured with a name like rabbit you just might. lol I love Bacchus guitars, have a few of those at the moment.

rabbit

Reaction score
Nice collection! I figured with a name like rabbit you just might. lol I love Bacchus guitars, have a few of those at the moment.
Awesome, a few Bacchus! Maybe start a new thread and share some pics, they are excellent guitars.

I'm still hoping @Satellitedog comes back with pics of his Greco mod.

Puck Luck

Reaction score
No Bacchus sg's though. A few are a work in progress, one Les Paul is finished, another needs work. One telecaster and a strat. A few more I just bought on the way. I have serious problems. haha Just trying to fix guitars up as a side gig. So, some I'll keep and some I'll sell. Some pics of them are on my site. https://guitarrestos.com/

Yup looking forward to Satellitedog's SG.:dude:

Latest posts