What year is this????

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by tim inwood, Mar 22, 2015.

1. tim inwood

tim inwood New Member

Dear all, I am at loss with my old SG. I bought it 10 years back and assumed it was a 68 but the evidence shows something weird. The serial suggests 1968 (911942) there is no volute and no Made in USA stamp....but the Gibson logo has the closed 'b' and 'i' and the motif looks like a 70! The last digit of the serial number looks weird (out of line and larger). Also the neck joint looks like a 70 but its actually a little shorter than other 70's ive seen/measured. The pots (3 of them) show 68 the treble tone is a 73 (obviously changed) and the pups are pat # stickered....they are correct for that era but again, they could be slightly older or newer as these are interchangeable parts and don't really nail a date on the guitar itself. Also the body shape and colour suggest that it could be a 70 (shallow inner cut away of horn and the finish is more natural faded). Can anyone tell whats going on with my SG? Is it is 'second'? I love this guitar and it plays and sounds like a dream. Any help would be appreciated. Please ignore the tuners...they are crappy standby ones (original Klusons are kept safe).

2. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Bevels and 3-piece neck suggest that the earliest possible date is later half of 1969. Early '69 and before SGs had a lot deeper bevels. From the body pic it seems that it has been sanded and refinished. This info together with the logo type I would say it is 1970.

tim inwood likes this.
  3. tim inwood

tim inwood New Member

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm its looking that way, just the serial number indicates 68 and i cant find anywhere that categorically confirms that all 1970 SG's didn't have volutes or the Made in USA stamp. The finish is as I received it and although its not 100% original....I do kinda like it. In your opinion, do you think it should refinished some how? all other bits are original (apart from the one pot).

4. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Gibson's serial numbers were all over the map back then. I have two SG Standards that I thought were 66 by the serial numbers. They are very close in sequence. Then, the pots suggested that the guitars were '68, not '66. Now, it seems they are more likely both from '69. Gibson makes my head hurt sometimes.

tim inwood likes this.
  5. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Btw. here are some more info about SGs of that era: http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php?threads/tell-me-about-67-68-69-sg-standard.22929/
    What I have understod is that the Made in USA stamp came about halfway year 1970 and volutes there are at least 3 different versions. no volute, intermediate volute and large volute, these seem to be not totally consitent in the timeline.
    Personally I'm against refinishing of guitars (and intentional relicing as well). The actual use should be seen from the guitar..

tim inwood likes this.
  6. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

G0damn Kris Ford knows his stuff.

tim inwood likes this.
  7. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG! :smile:

tim inwood likes this.
  8. tim inwood

tim inwood New Member

Thanks all for your support....i'll put this issue to rest now with the conclusion that its an early 1970 with a stripped finish.....I can live with that no problem, just means I need to get a proper 68 now :smile:

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

... with what you learn about the 68's it will help you when one comes along. :thumb:

tim inwood likes this.