Whats up with the rediculous new cases instead of the hardshell?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by heberling3, May 2, 2020.

1. heberling3

heberling3 New Member

I'm sure its been posted, but I am new and I am wondering if everyone else is bent as much as I am about purchasing a new SG Standard. I am now looking at used because of it.

2. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Some models, like the Special and the Standard '61 come with hardcases. I don' t really know why they decided to sell them with softcases unless it's significantly cheaper to manufacture than a hardcase but there's not alot of price difference between the two. A new Gibson HSC costs $170 and the gig bag costs $150.

I'm not sure it bothers me, the Gibson gigbag is really good and I always prefer a gigbag that I can carry on my back when I'm going to rehearsals.

heberling3 likes this.
  3. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Member

Well, I think a good gigbag, sometimes it’s a good way to carry my guitar, but if I have to take out my SG, no way a hard case is needed

heberling3 and Astral Traveler like this.
  4. Turned Into a Martian

Turned Into a Martian New Member

I suppose it’s the principle that’s bothersome. Gibson considers itself a premium brand but cut down on hard shell equipped guitars.

5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Don’t get me started. It’s just plain wrong to stuff a new Gibson SG Standard in a soft case. Especially when they are putting same year SG Junior’s and Specials in hard cases. Because of this I stopped collecting new SG Standards, and haven’t bought a new one since 2018. Actually, I haven’t bought any new SG’s since the new management took over. When Gibson pulled this crap on the Standards in 2016, I told myself that would be the last SG Standard I would ever buy if they came from the factory without a hardcase. And I’m sticking to it.

If you do a search, you’ll find lots of threads here on this topic.

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads...for-almost-standard-prices.35599/#post-519061

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/is-gibson-adjusting-prices-for-2019.35605/#post-519152

On the bright side I have been picking up older Standards when I find them in great condition and priced right. And they all come with factory cases, lol :smile:

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, how many do you have in your collection ?

7. SweetJohnnyD

SweetJohnnyD New Member

Haven't seen the new soft cases in person but after a guy showed me his MONO case with the neck support I just sold all of them and rotate my SGs in one of them. Kind of pricey but they are lightweight, fit in an overhead, support the neck better and repel water. The water part sounded trivial until I got caught in a rainstorm under a small tarp once. In hindsight, I don't know why I waited until my cases were falling apart to invest in a quality alternative. My best guess is that Gibson sees this trend and more people moving away from traditional cases to ones you can carry with straps.

heberling3 likes this.
  8. arcticsg

Seventeen at the moment

heberling3 likes this.
  9. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Active Member

With seventeen Standards, you must have made some comparisons. Are there better years or superior quality on some of them? Do you have a favorite? If so why?

heberling3 likes this.
  10. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

If I went to square up on a guitar that was $500 or better and they tried to hand my some "gig bag/big gag", I'd put my money away and hit the door. Noop

heberling3 likes this.
  11. Lewbypls

Lewbypls New Member

I don't mind the new gigbags that they come in now. I literally just bought my first SG standard last week and I love the guitar. I am not a fan of hard cases in general. I usually just sell them if I get them from Fender because of how bulky they are. I would assume the Gibson one would be just as heavy.

heberling3 likes this.
  12. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

The Gibson hard cases are pretty light, really.

I'm another one that gets peeved at the gig bag offerings. If they are fairly similar in price, give the customer the choice of either one.

Controversy averted.

13. arcticsg

I can’t really say any year is better than any other. Seems like each year has it’s winners and losers, both in quality and playability. I always cherry picked new year issues, so mine are always nicely finished. I love them all fat, slim, narrow, or wide necks, as long as they are Standards. For the most part, the Cherry colors are my favorite, and it is what I have the most of.

My favorite? Probably a toss up between these two, and they are totally different. Not the prettiest or most expensive, but I use them. There’s a couple others that I’m kind of partial to, but of all my SG’s, these two really speak to me. They are keepers.

[​IMG]

14. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

You guys should see the case my LOWLY EPI resides in.

Epi ROADCASE2.jpg

Anvil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heberling3 and Lewbypls like this.
  15. Stark Naked

Those are real beauties. Musical works of art. I have 2001 61' reissue and a 2016 black Standard that are the center pieces of my hoard. Love em'
    Thanks for the insight.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    heberling3, arcticsg and Demon Dave like this.
  16. Stark Naked

Dose any one have one of the newer SKB-61SG hard shell cases with the plastic latches? I've heard the older version didn't support the neck properly. I like the quality and toughness of the case but don't care for the plastic latches. The older model had metal. Sweetwater is asking $172.99 for them. Might be worth it for a $2000 guitar.
    I have a closet full of gig bags that came with guitars. Don't feel comfortable storing or transporting in one.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    heberling3 likes this.
  17. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Nope, Never used SKB guitar cases, only drum cases.

heberling3 likes this.
  18. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

heberling3 likes this.
  19. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

20. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I prefer a well made gig bag over a hard case. The Taylor, PRS, Godin, and Yamaha gig bags are all really nice and I believe protect the guitar better from the normal bumps and bruises than a hard case, unless you drive over it with a car. The padding in a gig bag absorbs some of the force of the impact. Plus with a gig bag you can take a strap, tuner, cable, extra strings and whatnot. With a hard case you end up carrying another gear bag.

ramaglia375, heberling3 and Lewbypls like this.