Whats up with the rediculous new cases instead of the hardshell?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by heberling3, May 2, 2020.

1. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

heberling3 likes this.
  2. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Active Member

heberling3 likes this.
  3. 65vibrola

65vibrola New Member

I do like a case for storage at home - although a good gig bag is handy for gigging provided it offers some neck and head protection IMG_8272small.JPG

heberling3 and Astral Traveler like this.
  4. UnkleKrispy

UnkleKrispy New Member

I have the newer SKB SG case. It’s been great. I’ve flown With And had no problems. I’m usually a gig bag guy but with anything Gibson I use a hard case-I’ve seen too many broken headstocks over the years...

Stark Naked likes this.
  5. Tia

Tia New Member

While I prefer the cushy gig bag over a hard shell case, I would be extremely insulted at spending $1,500 on a guitar and not get a hard shell case. That's like serving a black-tie gala with paper plates and pop.

6. Spuds

Spuds New Member

I feel like I'm getting better value for money if I get the hard shell case. It's a much nicer experience to buy it like that and it feels a lot more satisfying to have it all as one package in a hard case. That said, in practical terms I prefer gig bags. And the bag that they're providing with SGs now looks like a really nice one. But I totally understand the frustration of them downgrading it. It's almost like downgrading the importance of the SG as one of the premium/standard guitars. The "standard" USA strats, teles, Les Pauls all come with hard cases and the SG did too, so it feels like they're removing the SG standard from the big boys' club.

7. Amptech

Amptech Member

Well, I use the older SKB cases a lot with my SGs and I wouldn't buy a new one on a bet. I had an experience with one a few years ago, and it was NOT GOOD. I bought a new SKB case from my local GC and brought it home to put my 69 SG in, and the fit was abysmal. Feeling it might be a bad batch, I contacted SKB and sent them pics. They responded, in my opinion, very poorly. They said the case is fine, they have to make the case fit other variations of the SG shape as well, and it it wasn't suited to my application, I should find another case company. I did exactly that, I contacted Anvil that same afternoon, and bought a case. I will never shop SKB again, for ANY case. YMMV

8. sentari

sentari New Member

Honestly, I tried a number of new to newish SG Standards hell bent that I should like them. Nope. Mostly hated them all neck dive, weird neck profiles, and more. So I took a huge leap of faith and bought a 2001 Custom Shop SB Standard. Absolutely perfect. It was 2100 and near mint. Since then used custom shop has the only way I buy. I do have a 2019 Memphis ES-335 Figured. That is a special guitar as well. Again I bought used and it was mint.

Others I have are 2019 60th anniversary LP Standard and a 2010 LP Special DC (yep - TV yellow).

The LP Special is about the same quality as the SG and has about the same neck. (Which is a bit thicker than a 60s slim). The 335 has a near perfect rounded C and a slightly narrower fretboard. The 59 (R9)’s neck is somewhat chunkier. But it’s carved really nice. Some of the big chunky necks in new guitars (such as the SG or LP 50s) feel sort of clunky without any taper,carve. My 2 cents anyway.

I’d say this. A year ago I’d say there’s no chance I’d ever own a SG. Finding the right one completely changed my mi d. I saw Zweezil Zappa using them for very complex music and figured you don’t need a modern rig to do that stuff.

So if you afford a bit more, you may end up becoming a covert too (played Fender’s my whole life)

But I’m also the type of person who buys 3-4 year old vehicles for 1/2 price. Nothing like getting a 50 grand car for the price of a low feature Camry.

Astral Traveler likes this.
  9. sentari

sentari New Member

Agreed. Companies are trying to keep the advertising of prices down in comparison to competition. This is one of the things they do. Charvel has really nice guitars coming out of Mexico which are 1/4 the price of a similar US model. But they send it without any case:bag at all. I’m not even sure it came with any tools when I sold mine I found a 19$ gig bag with a Charvel name on it. Was actually nice. Used that to help differentiate and sell it quicker. Which it did, for asking price. So if I can market it and sell quickly for my asking, so can this big companies if they just understood customer experience.

ezypikins likes this.
  10. UnkleKrispy

UnkleKrispy New Member

I actually have a Gator Case and not an SKB as I mentioned above. I highly recommend it anyway!

11. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I worked for these folks. TKL's custom shop right here in the Old Dominion. If anyone ever wants a custom made case for an SG or any instrument they are great.
    http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/

12. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

When did Gibson stop putting the velvet flap thing in their hard cases? That was it for me, to open the case and be greeted by a sexy velvet layer covering the top of the guitar, then lifting that up to reveal the glory beneath! I felt like Indiana Jones discovering some priceless relic!
    I believe that the gator hard cases are now the only ones to feature this? They look really nice as far as I can tell!
    My SG Junior came in a Hiscox case, pretty nice and seems plenty sturdy...

Astral Traveler likes this.
  13. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Meh it kinda sucks but not really, my 2019 standard came in a soft case (my first Gibson ever) and I cared more about my guitar than the case, I'm no guitar collector so it's not like I have galleries of Gibsons to compare and lament my disdain for a lack there of, I bought it to enjoy, stare at and play the sh*t out of. I eventually gave the soft case to a good friend who once helped me on learning guitar and replaced it with a current hardshell (pictured below). As far as my opinion on the soft case, pfft I absolutely love it! I use it so much with the one that came with my '18 SG Special, its perfect, lovely room and pockets to house my walkable amp, headphones, cables, junk in, i never worry about my guitar in it at all. NOW, something I do have issue with is the LACK of knob guage pointers on standards, I've installed them on all my guitars cuz Im particular about my number guages when recording or practicing otherwise whats the point of having numbers printed on them right?

IMG_2732small.jpg

14. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

After seeing an SG in a case get literally rolled over by a van on a load-out way back in 1979 & coming way from it in fine working order,.. the importance of a good hardcase has been impressed upon me.

Hey, stupid s#it happens ALL the time & it does NOT need to be you doing that stupid s#it!

So if you got a 'money' guitar, guitar that's valuable to you or simply an irreplaceable instrument.. it deserves the protection of a quality case. If it's a cheap guitar or a working mans tool that can be replaced then WGAF right?

Gibson not giving quality cases with the purchase of quality instruments that previously came them is another kick to the groin of Gibson loyalists & consumers. Unfortunately, I doubt this will not be the last time we will find ourselves pondering the question.. 'How Low Can They Go?' when it comes to Gibson making product changes & decisions like this.

Demon Dave and arcticsg like this.
  15. 67King

67King Member

Wow, y'all would have had $#!+ fits had Gibson did what PRS did with its CE line of guitars. To keep the price point the same, PRS got rid of the hardshell case. Then they made the maple top much thinner, and the carve is very shallow. CE's used to be like the Customs. Beautiful carve, hardshell case. They just came with bolt on, rather than set necks. Now they just feel cheap.

That said, my first guitar was a Les Paul Studio, back in 1990. Gig bag. It was $425, when the Standards were $1000 and the Customs maybe $1500. Don't recall. But the Studio I could afford. I ended up buying a hardshell case for it. For some time, a hardshell case was a must for me. Not, most of my guitars are left out, and I have a stack of cases in a closet taking up a lot of space. So I don't get too upset over this. If Gibson made the Standard $1750 with a HSC, would it sell as well as a gig bag at $1500? I don't know.

I've not seen a new gig bag. The PRS CE bags are pretty nice. I'd be happy with that. I was actually disappointed that the HSC in my Telecaster Ultra is so big. Super nice, but it takes up a lot of space. That said, I have two Pro Rock Gear soft shell cases. One for a resonator, and one for an inexpensive Yamaha acoustic that I leave at a lakehouse we own. I HIGHLY recommend them, especially at the price point. $60, can't beat it. Don't know if this would fit, it os for a Les Paul: https://prorockgear.com/collections/electric/products/rg370fc

If not, then this one is more generic, and would fit. https://prorockgear.com/collections/electric/products/rg380fc

16. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Demon Dave likes this.
  17. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Exactly... Loyalists mean nothing to them. Gibson use to get thousands of dollars from me annually, and now they get nothing. The younger generations getting their first new SG is where they see their money coming from.

It’s been getting up towards two years now since they dropped the case on the Standard, and I’m dead set with my decision, There will be no new manufacture SGs for me until the factory hardcase comes back to the basic SG Standard.

18. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I can absolutely relate to that sentiment. My problem is that I played a 2018 SG HP & proceeded to be blown away, become totally impressed & then completely fell in love with it! It is one of the best made, sturdiest, easy playing, versatile, beautiful sounding NEW SG's I've ever laid my hands on!

Unfortunately I just didn't have the $2300+ or so need to buy it new at the time.
    Fortunately.. I can now buy one used as soon as I find one that isn't a ridiculous looking fade color! but, the Dessert fade I do really like is hard to come by used at a reasonable price.

It's going to be this SG HP or a new riding lawn mower when this Corona stimulus check finally gets here.

My question is.. Do I really need to mow the lawn?

19. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Nah... you don’t need no stinkin’ riding lawn mower, break out the scythe :D

20. macdog

macdog Member

Bought an Epiphone case. Nice and cheap, does the job. Says Epiphone on the top but big deal.