What's with the adverts?

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by Biddlin, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Why are we seeing so many embedded ads and videos? I don't need Ivory soap commercials and Dave Mustaine videos. I've got adblock on, too.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    If you want to be rid of ivory soap ads, you need Adblock Plus.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

That's what I'm using, but maybe I need new improved Adblock Plus with dynamic Oxy action. Seriously I can't get rid of the damned things.

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    It's what I use with Chrome, and I see no ads. I think there is a preference setting that lets you adjust the strength.

5. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

I'm on Safari and can't stand more than 2-3 min a day here due to ads. This is the only forum that I have this issue with when I am signed in.

arcticsg likes this.
  6. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I am just about done with this place myself.

This was may favorite hangout for years.

Gibson SG forever!

7. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I'm using Firefox & my Adblock worked for years. A couple of months ago it stopped working!
    I had to download a new version.
    All is well on the Western Front.
    at least for now.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  8. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Relic., I hate ads almost as badly as I hate how we lost all our resource materials of data on old SG's

9. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Well as Creedence Clearwater Rivival once sang 'Ya better not complain boy, you'll get in trouble with da man'!
    And as I like to say, 'Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets told to either shut the fvk up or leave man.'

Still, it aint as bad here as that other site I got lured into joining with promises of being able to speak openly & be myself only to have it turn into a tight fisted commie cabal that oppressed & shut down those who weren't of their like minded intellectual leaning ilk.. and perhaps worse of all, it was done while allowing those other like minded haters to spew their bullshit unchallenged. But, I've learned that people like that need to remain unchallenged because their ideas can not hold up to critique nor the light of truth based argument.

Fact is, this behavior is running rampant throughout all forms of media in our lives right now. It allows the small twisted angry & ugly minority to appear bigger & more powerful than they really are.

This is where I get to use one of my favorite phrases an prophetically proclaim.. 'and the truth will set you free'! (sometimes with motherfvk'r tagged on the end of that when appropriate)

Never be afraid to speak your truth my friend.

10. chilipeppermaniac

There's some truth in all that, but I will say that even some who were 180 degrees to our way of thinking on many issues, also got shown the door or chose to take the one way door and wound up either offline totally or chose to go elsewhere.

Much like I've learned in my life's lessons throughout nearly 5 full decades, sadly the yuck in life has to persist alongside the YAY. For as long as man has walked the Earth, we haven't been able to legislate, bicker, war, medicate, or walk arm in arm in any lasting way that leaves criminals in prison, disharmony in the grave and positivity and love and public safety and less danger as the norm.

I am also reminded of just how beautiful a thing can be and yet sadness still comes with that beauty. Here in our own lives in Md, where lefty's rule the roost, we still have rays of hope and love in our communities. Yet looting, crime, murder, riots, gangs and other dangerous environments still rule the day in Maryland and Baltimore/DC instead of one of hope and safety.

I know you know what I am talking about as your profession involved those who caused the detrimental. Yet we both know that with a brotherly love as we were taught by our Saviour, one person can impact a far greater scope than they ever knew was possible.

I will leave you with a little fella who's life shone bright and who impacted young and old as only he was created to do. A fella who I personally interacted with and encouraged, praised and returned love to as he so freely gave to friends and strangers alike. Be patient and be blessed Bro Relic and anyone else who views my tribute to my Hero and friend, Mo Gaba.

While I have gone off topic some pertaining to ads,,,,,,, I will let the power of a kid's pure joy in the face of the worst of all battles put the bottom line of life into perspective. I am pretty confident any of you who get to know him, will understand how I approach my kindness and how I value and appreciate my friends I interact with here and elsewhere.

I posted this elsewhere when I learned the saddest news and yet despite my weeping, I will never forget the life of the fella.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I would like to express my deep sadness to report of the death of one of the finest human beings to have walked this planet.

Today July 28, 2020 the world is a better place because of this angel and his saint of a mom. RIP to my Hero and unbelievably selfless, sweet, joyous and amazing young man. Mo Gaba. Baltimore and the world has lost a true light and ambassador for all things good in life.

Today, my little buddy, who shortly after birth was diagnosed with cancer and it cost him his eyes and all of his 14 years a battle against this awful killer. Mo is our Legend, our boy with the unforgettable laugh, our Son who despite his cancer, he always thought of everyone else before himself. His life was short, but his impact will live forever. As my fiancee and I have seen some of his adventures and his humble life, we both feel he was an Angel sent to earth to teach us love. His mom is nothing short of a saint. A single mom who raised her sick boy every day for 14 years. Taught him sports, piano, confidence, and surely his compassion and sensitivity to the needs of others came from his dear mom.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-sports-superfan-mo-gaba-dies-at-14/33450712

11. chilipeppermaniac

Today he was given a high high honor to be in the Baltimore Orioles Hall Of Fame. Sadly it also happens to be the day he was taken from us,. Love you big MO.

12. chilipeppermaniac

This was Mo's parade for Graduating from Middle school and what was to be on to High School

13. chilipeppermaniac

14. chilipeppermaniac

My Hero MO was given an opportunity of a lifetime even adults would be nervous to undertake, yet he broadcast like a seasoned Pro.

Just check out his podcast that lasted over 3 hours and went into MO vertime.

As I said above, Mo was forever thinking of others first. In his radio show, he didn't disappoint. He started out like a HUGE HEARTED HUMAN beyond compare as he held a moment of silence for a friend and fellow patient who lost their battle recently as well. To me, that kid is beyond compare and there will never be anyone to fill his shoes.

https://www.radio.com/1057thefan/bl...emy-conn/the-big-mo-gaba-show-on-1057-the-fan

15. chilipeppermaniac

16. chilipeppermaniac

On Mo's Big Mo show, he told the orioles former manager Buck Showalter that this was one of his favorite memories of his life.
    Buck had called in to wish Mo well, and to also tell him that during his time as Manager, meeting Mo was one of his fondest memories from his time in Baltimore too.

17. chilipeppermaniac

Our Orioles player Trey Mancini discovered he has colon cancer and is currently undergoing radiation treatments.
    Mo says it all.

18. chilipeppermaniac

19. chilipeppermaniac

As myself and countless other Mo fans will say, " in his short 14 years, he had a positivity, a muturity, a penchant to make others feel special" Amidst his treatments and fight to live life to the fullest, Mo was like the master seed, the tap root, the fully blossoming Tree that bore sweet fruit as not just any child would normally be, but a superior, supernatural, explosion of Amazingness. The joy in his laugh and the sweet kindness of Mo toward others, has to be what I will remember him most for.

Not knowing me from Adam, but willing to add me on his Facebook page, we began to text sometime back around May. On our initial chat, I naturally wanted to tell him how proud I was of him and how impressed I was with his skills, his polished and natural ability on radio, and for all the goodness he gave to others. THE little Rascal, tells me " Stop, you are making me blush"

Then as we talked further, I eventually told him my dad was basically elderly and in a wheelchair. I also said, I was needing to make my way to make progress on my building of his handicapped ramp. Mo, then texts me to say, " Tell your dad hi from Mo, and to wish him well."

I mean WHAT TEENAGER does that?

Oh and y'all tell me, HOW can a BLIND boy play video games and actually beat the levels?
    Somehow Mo did it. That was OUR MO hehe

20. chilipeppermaniac