Where Do You See Your Playing Right Now?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Lex Lurid, Oct 1, 2006.

1. want an sg

want an sg Member

I am somewhere between CRAP And $#!t but the SG is makeing me get better!!!!!!!

2. SrDedosRapidos

SrDedosRapidos New Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=10441.msg217517#msg217517 date=1218145637]
    Hehehe, thanks for the refreshing comments in favor of the blues!!! It's good to hear from the younger generation who is not taken in by modern trends. Hang in there.

You might try (1)Craigslist dot com to find musicians in your area, that plus (2)join several blues forums too seek other bluesmen in your area.

Some might be more willing to jam with you if it's (3)private instead of a public jam. However, if your about playing out in public, then perhaps you are already good enough to be in a band. If so, then (4)perhaps you should seek bandmates. Do you have any blues venues around you? If so, it might pay to (5)become a regular patron to try to hook up with blues players who also would like to jam with others.
    ;)
    [/quote]

Why thank you. Its comments like this that keep my tubes hot. It gets very frustrating... the blues has become a joke for my generation... Pentatonics and dominant sevenths arent anything but Superfluous information to the "modern" beginner looking to "shred" later on. No one seems to care or take any real interest in an important American art form. I thank go for people like John Mayer, who are able to "pass the torch" onto current paradigms and, no matter how small the flame, keep the fire of blues alive. I cant say im too impressed with any new acts though; theyve all really lost touch with what the blues are all about. Joe Bonamassa is good, but he never shuts the **** up long enough to play the blues; its solo after solo after solo with no Phrasing and Gain in spades! Drives me nuts! The way it speaks straight from a mans soul and the AWESOME tone you get from the way "blue notes" work together just blow everything away!

In any case, ill never give up. I went to the Cinci blues fest this year and there was a 5-6 piece of highschoolers covering stuff like whipping post and Mustang Sally. I nearly **** right in my pants. I looked at my significant other and said "there isnt a reason i shouldnt be playing this festival..." and i immediately preceded to call a drummer i had worked with in my mislead "metal years". Hes a fan of Cream and Albert King and all that jazz out of the 60's blues revival, so he said he would be down to cover some songs next year. Its definitely a start, and getting to jam with real people outside my room would be great. Backing tracks can only take a man so far. I also Joined the local blues society and im going to go to the meetings to try and meet some people. Craigs List is a great idea and something i NEVER thought of. Thank you :)

Ive got an ES-345 and a VOS SG coming and i dont plan on wasting them. Ive got something to say, and someone is going to hear it!

And if im offending people with my belligerent lack of respect for the new music, i apologize. ;) Just my opinion

3. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

[quote author=SrDedosRapidos link=topic=10441.msg217595#msg217595 date=1218266543]
    Ive got something to say, and someone is going to hear it!
    [/quote]

Great way of putting it!

I'm out of my slump. Written 2 new songs, and I'm quite pleased with my playing ability right now too. I don't know what happened, but it's all going good. Was thinking of trying to get a 6 or 7 track album written before I go to uni in september, so I can get it recorded (doing music production course, with 3x £1.5million studios :coolsmiley:).

4. 1Way

1Way Active Member

SrDedosRapidos, very cool my friend, your quite welcome. You should have been around Southern Michigan a few years back. There was a place for the blues in Kalamazoo MI. that opened its doors for up and coming musicians in a way that I've never seen before. Very friendly spot, letting otherwise isolated/beginning musicians sit in with the house band Weds/Thursdays and Sundays. ... But then as life sometimes happens, the place was shut down, so I lost a very special place that I hoped to become the first place that I would play out live in front of others.

It's exciting to hear that you are looking to branch out even getting a band together! LOL, I envy you being ready to share your skills to where they can be enjoyed by others,,, and earn some coin while doing it! I need to create a blues oriented song list that I can dress to impress with before I'd be ready. But at this point I'm mostly a rocker,,, with potential.

Holy cat scratch fever!!! A Gibby ES 345(!) AND(!!!) a VOS SG!?!? I'm trying not to freak too much! Sounds like your on a mission from God! Hehehe, I can tell you are going to be soooo ready to lay down something heavy. So,,, the question is naturally raised,,, what sort of amplification are you going to pump these super’sonic gems thru???

I really like my guitar amp and speakers, but so far it pretty much lacks one thing. I can only do cleans thru my 50watt Marshall JCM800’s low input (has one less gain stage), but I usually plug into the high input where cleans are all but,, extinct, yet of course it’s exciting especially for lead play. I have an Ibanez tube screamer (TS9DX) so if I went public like you are doing, I’d probably keep it on the low input side and then ramp it up with the TS for leads. At least I could do that until I could afford playing out with two amps, one for cleans and the JCM800 for some awesome dirt!
    :D
    As for the modern types, trust me, we all get our share of flack from the other side. All in good fun.
    ;)

5. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Talk about a tone machine. And straight out of the box it's gotta be professional blues capable! You went all out.
    -Variatone control ala BB King
    -57 classics (excellent pups!)
    -mono and stereo jacks
    -doubled inlays
    -body and neck binding
    Love the natural warmth from a Gibson ES 335 type guitar, plus you have the traditional recipe, rosewood fingerboard, hard tail stop piece and 57 classics.

That's gotta be ripe for a full ffffat sound, and should be a nice contrast to the VOS SG.

[​IMG]

:p

6. SrDedosRapidos

[quote author=1Way link=topic=10441.msg217616#msg217616 date=1218295940]
    SrDedosRapidos, very cool my friend, your quite welcome. You should have been around Southern Michigan a few years back. There was a place for the blues in Kalamazoo MI. that opened its doors for up and coming musicians in a way that I've never seen before. Very friendly spot, letting otherwise isolated/beginning musicians sit in with the house band Weds/Thursdays and Sundays. ... But then as life sometimes happens, the place was shut down, so I lost a very special place that I hoped to become the first place that I would play out live in front of others.

It's exciting to hear that you are looking to branch out even getting a band together! LOL, I envy you being ready to share your skills to where they can be enjoyed by others,,, and earn some coin while doing it! I need to create a blues oriented song list that I can dress to impress with before I'd be ready. But at this point I'm mostly a rocker,,, with potential.

Holy cat scratch fever!!! A Gibby ES 345(!) AND(!!!) a VOS SG!?!? I'm trying not to freak too much! Sounds like your on a mission from God! Hehehe, I can tell you are going to be soooo ready to lay down something heavy. So,,, the question is naturally raised,,, what sort of amplification are you going to pump these super’sonic gems thru???

I really like my guitar amp and speakers, but so far it pretty much lacks one thing. I can only do cleans thru my 50watt Marshall JCM800’s low input (has one less gain stage), but I usually plug into the high input where cleans are all but,, extinct, yet of course it’s exciting especially for lead play. I have an Ibanez tube screamer (TS9DX) so if I went public like you are doing, I’d probably keep it on the low input side and then ramp it up with the TS for leads. At least I could do that until I could afford playing out with two amps, one for cleans and the JCM800 for some awesome dirt!
    As for the modern types, trust me, we all get our share of flack from the other side. All in good fun.
    [/quote]

Heavy... you could say that. I wasnt aware of the stereo jacks last night, so i got to looking at more amp-age. Currently i have a Budda Superdrive 45 that can really move some air. The cleans on it are actually really impressive, and i have an epi DOT that sounds pretty damned amazing through it. The Dirty is, of course, as thick as fudge with ridiculous bite. Ive got an MXR 10 band in front of it (the Budda has passive EQ, which im not a fan of) and that gives me an INSANE amount of control over my sound as well as a pretty decent boost. Being that the 345 is stereo, im going to throw the bridge to a Bluesbreaker; The neck sounds great on my budda, but i think the cleans on the bluesbreaker will sound awesome. And the Bluesbreaker has far more headroom. If not, oh well. Im stuck with a 1962 bluesbreaker reissue. This is all based on my experience with my DOT though. Those pickups are mud with a cover. Good, but the 57' classics will eat that guitar alive. I was always a fan of the 335, but i always felt like it needed more features, so i started looking at the 345. Im sold on high-end Gibsons. the lower end ones seem to have QC issues, but the custom shop is... well... the custom shop.

I played a JM800 at GC and really liked it. I think it was an early 90's model, because the gain was insane. the later ones are a liiiiittle bit weaker. still great though.

And as for the SG... good god. A VOS SG through a Bluesbreaker on 10? ha.

I might end up with a Bassman. Im not a very big fan of the fender sound, but ive never heard one... never read a bad review though.

Thanks again for the support. Theres a place similar to that in my Hometown of Oxford. Its a little hole in the wall with a house band and some local talent, and if you let them know ahead of time you can have a 2-3 song set.

And According to legend, Im on a mission from the Devil 8)

7. SrDedosRapidos

Correction, i think im going to go for the 1974x. Its smaller... but loud as HELL. Good for club gigs i recon. If i had to describe its sound in one word it would be Dynamic. Very responsive to the guitar its hooked to. Which means it will be straight UNGODLY with my future 345 8)

But the bluesbreaker has more headroom... and Clapton used it.... and Clapton used it again. But im not playing Carnegie anytime soon, and if i had to ive got my Budda McFacemelter on Standby.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

8. 1Way

1Way Active Member

I'd assume that the Budda will keep you rockin with the big dogs for a long time. If I'm not mistaken, they have a very good quality reputation.

As for the 335 guitars, I recommend something from the the 'same but different' catagory... The Kalamazoo MI made Heratage which is made by the old Gibson factory as well as the old factory workers. They make a 335 type guitar for a lower price and perhaps better quality. The one's I've tried sounded better than a 335 but was priced around $2,200.

I wouldn't focus too much on getting another amp until after your more familiar with whatever guitar(s) you end up with. I think the 18watt bluesbreaker is cool as you can get great sounds even at low volumes.

9. SrDedosRapidos

[quote author=1Way link=topic=10441.msg217658#msg217658 date=1218349747]
    I'd assume that the Budda will keep you rockin with the big dogs for a long time. If I'm not mistaken, they have a very good quality reputation.

As for the 335 guitars, I recommend something from the the 'same but different' catagory... The Kalamazoo MI made Heratage which is made by the old Gibson factory as well as the old factory workers. They make a 335 type guitar for a lower price and perhaps better quality. The one's I've tried sounded better than a 335 but was priced around $2,200.

I wouldn't focus too much on getting another amp until after your more familiar with whatever guitar(s) you end up with. I think the 18watt bluesbreaker is cool as you can get great sounds even at low volumes.
    [/quote]

indeed. One thing im finding out is that guitars and amps behave very differently when mixed and matched. Im pretty dead set on a 345, but i will check them out. There really isnt a question as to weather or not im getting the 74x, its nearly set in stone. I NEED something smaller... when i bought i Budda i didnt expect it to be anywhere near as loud as it is. If youve had too much coffee, you cant touch the volume. Its extremely sensitive. That said, its hard to push it. Ive had a chance to push it before and the sounds a KT66 power section when pushed are probably capable of melting gold :Droolin: But speaking of, yes; very high quality gear they make. Its not hard to get a hold of their higher ups either. Really Nice Guys.

But i need a 1974x. Because im a guitarist. A power attenuator is in the works too, but still. Another amp! weeeeeeeee! :D

10. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

My feelings exactly. The younger generation seems to thrive on shred and scream stuff... well that and rap. Not all young people mind you but the vast majority do. I've been trying my best to at least expose my kids to music that isn't 16 notes per second or screamed lyrics or talking with a drum machine and scratch dj in background. They still like some of the new stuff too but at least they will listen to the 60s and 70s rock and blues and jazz to some degree. I feel a well rounded musician should listen to all types of music.

[quote author=SrDedosRapidos link=topic=10441.msg217595#msg217595 date=1218266543]
    Why thank you. Its comments like this that keep my tubes hot. It gets very frustrating... the blues has become a joke for my generation... Pentatonics and dominant sevenths arent anything but Superfluous information to the "modern" beginner looking to "shred" later on. No one seems to care or take any real interest in an important American art form. I thank go for people like John Mayer, who are able to "pass the torch" onto current paradigms and, no matter how small the flame, keep the fire of blues alive. I cant say im too impressed with any new acts though; theyve all really lost touch with what the blues are all about. Joe Bonamassa is good, but he never shuts the screw up long enough to play the blues; its solo after solo after solo with no Phrasing and Gain in spades! Drives me nuts! The way it speaks straight from a mans soul and the AWESOME tone you get from the way "blue notes" work together just blow everything away!

In any case, ill never give up. I went to the Cinci blues fest this year and there was a 5-6 piece of highschoolers covering stuff like whipping post and Mustang Sally. I nearly crap right in my pants. I looked at my significant other and said "there isnt a reason i shouldnt be playing this festival..." and i immediately preceded to call a drummer i had worked with in my mislead "metal years". Hes a fan of Cream and Albert King and all that jazz out of the 60's blues revival, so he said he would be down to cover some songs next year. Its definitely a start, and getting to jam with real people outside my room would be great. Backing tracks can only take a man so far. I also Joined the local blues society and im going to go to the meetings to try and meet some people. Craigs List is a great idea and something i NEVER thought of. Thank you :)

Ive got an ES-345 and a VOS SG coming and i dont plan on wasting them. Ive got something to say, and someone is going to hear it!

And if im offending people with my belligerent lack of respect for the new music, i apologize. ;) Just my opinion
    [/quote]

11. oldrockfan

oh and srdedos, don't rule out the ole gibson dot model. I totally agree with 1way that other models can be good and some of the recent GIbson 335s just don't seem to have the same tone as the old ones but some of the newer ones are still great players. I found a new 335 at a smaller guitar shop a couple years ago and it just had the "it" factor going. I loved the look and the tone. SO, at least give the newer dot re-issues a shot and definately try them whenever possible.
    [​IMG]
    here is a shot of the one I got and I love it.

12. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

Hey all! I'm trying to expand my variety of playing, but I've realized one big problem: Finger accuracy. It shows when I try to run some patterns, but otherwise doesn't hinder me. Still, it bothers me.

Anyone wanna recommend some excercises that work for you? ;D

13. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=74 Jailbreak link=topic=10441.msg219908#msg219908 date=1222308617]
    Hey all! I'm trying to expand my variety of playing, but I've realized one big problem: Finger accuracy. It shows when I try to run some patterns, but otherwise doesn't hinder me. Still, it bothers me.

Anyone wanna recommend some excercises that work for you? ;D
    [/quote]

Ultimately for building dexterity and speed theres nothing that works better than running scales and chromatics to a metronome.

14. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

[quote author=74 Jailbreak link=topic=10441.msg219908#msg219908 date=1222308617]

Anyone wanna recommend some exercises that work for you? ;D
    [/quote]

Check out some of the stuff that both Shawn Lane and Steve Morse have in their videos. There are some great dexterity exercises. Also, try to pick apart some Uli Roth solos and work on the picking hand.

15. jetlag

jetlag Member

Well my playing has definately come on over summer.
    The new stuff I'm writing for the band is some of the best I've ever done.
    Skills wise, I'm concentrating on expanding my playing technique by actually trying to USE what I'm learning in my guitar lessons. Lately I'm trying the old minor petatonic scale in the other positions except the root.
    However, same as always, when I'm jamming with the band, if I try to THINK about what I'm going to play, such as what scale, where, what notes etc, I fudge things right up. I'm definately starting to develop my sense of what 'feels' and sounds right.
    Before I'd just work around the basic scales and often hit some bum notes, or sound too robotic, at least, going back 18 months ago. Since I've been in the band I've come along lots.
    Lately though, it just flows a lot easier.
    Good times!

In other good news, we've decided on our new drummer and will be getting back on the gigging from 28th November - big 'comeback' gig. hah! :)

16. dtglassmoon

dtglassmoon Member

Hi Guys,
    It's been a long long time since I last posted on this thread..surely must be the longest running thread ever !!!.
    Happy to say I have started a new band now (My Second) and things are going really well.....not one blues song in the set-list now just rock covers played as close to the original as our talents allow ! Played 3 gigs so far and each one of them was to over 80 people at Parties and Weddings etc and we appear to have a following now....I have noticed a few people turning up in Pink Floyd t shirts of late and im hoping that is due to always finishing the set with "Comfortably Numb" which let's face it is very hard to follow.. :).
    Anyone reading this that is thinking of joining a band ....for gods sake get out there and do it...im 46 now and I should have done this years ago...I don't even get any stage fright now which is a big bonus and gigs are becoming way more enjoyable.
    If anyone is interested here is a link to our site which we have just got up and running...not a lot there yet but we are working on it !
    http://www.lemonrock.com/overdraft
    Be brave and confident in your abilities and go out and make a noise !!

17. oldrockfan

checked out the demo vid and pretty good stuff. Vid was a bit grainy but still did a good job of showing folks the range of stuff your band covers. Also interesting to see a younger guy using a tele. Looks like a fun band you have working!

Also pretty interesting to see young and old players in same band. I'm over 40 and used to sing/play in a band. Both of my sons are also musicians. My boys don't let Dad play in their band except when someone doesn't show up for practice ;D. I bet it would be cool playing with some young musicians. All I do these days is get together with other over 40 guys to jam.

here is a vid of my boys at band practice (if this embed thing works right that is)
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHP7Olaq_IM&hl=en&fs=1">

18. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

Well like many others stated here my SG is stuck on "SUCK" as well however learning songs is not the easyest task for me but when I noodle I can rock hard for some reason.

I find my self still playing in my office until the summertime and I should do fairly well. Right now my biggest problem is strumming for normal songs such as Don's American pie, But you give me a song that has an Arpeggie line or a walking bassline I'm good to go.

I'm fairly decent with slide guitar and my rock is ok and my blues is good.

19. jetlag

jetlag Member

... I'm back ;D

I've been away for over 4 months! Dang!

Either way. My playing is still getting better and better. My improvisation and knowledge is always growing, my theory and sheet music reading is getting better.

I feel much more confident jamming along with people, be it the band, in college or randoms on a jam night.

I'm just a bit slack lately is all.
    I put this down to the fact that the last 6 weeks or so I've had myself a missus ;D

Anyway.
    Good to be back :)!

20. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back! And congrats on the "missus"!