Where Do You See Your Playing Right Now?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Lex Lurid, Oct 1, 2006.

1. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

First off my influences are the Stooges and MC 5, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, the Who, and early glam like T-Rex, Bowie, Slade, and the Sweet. I also have a deep rooted love for Parliament/Funkadelic, the Isley's, etc. Add in the Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers with EC, and Jeff Beck's Truth.

My bands covered 95% of those. I wrote my own music too. All my stuff is basic, simple, mostly pentatonic. I know the difference between minor and major and I blend the 2 along with using the "blue note" and the major scale.

I was a pretty solid player during my gigging years in the 90's and prided myself on my tone above all else. I was not afraid to go into psychedelic meltdown with high volume feedback, wah, multiple fuzz pedals, a goofy foot phaser, and so forth. Unfortunately, my most out there performances were at Friday night practice, fueled by malt liquor and clove cigarettes. The band loved those "freak out" sessions, but we were never quite brave enough to pull it off at gigs. We got close at a few parties though.

Currently, my playing is going through a renaissance, with serious practicing the last 2 winters and slowly pulling out all my old gear. As you all know, it is a struggle to keep the chops up and it takes a couple of hours a day of serious practice to advance. Currently, I am playing decently, still very pentatonic, blues based, nothing too fancy. I have taken up singing while playing, so maybe one of these days I will re-emerge to play again. I am currently doing Supersonic by Oasis, Cocks*cker's Blues and Stray Cat Blues by the Stones, Sonic Reducer by the Deadboys, Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory by Johnny Thunders, Jet Boy by the New York Dolls, I Wanna Be Your Dog, Loose, TV Eye, and Search and Destroy by the Stooges, and working on Heart Full of Soul by the Yardbirds, and Rebel Rebel by Bowie. Those are the ones I sing so far.

I used to just want to be the guitar player and find a singer to put lyrics to my songs. Well, that was a nightmare! Many many "Commitments" moments trying to find the right singer. There was one, but he had full on lead singer syndrome and was so difficult and unpredictable to work with that it usually only lasted a few gigs before he was unbearable. ;D In fairness, I had guitar player syndrome and didn't really care what the singer did as long as he kept the audience entertained and looked OK until we got to the lead break. :D I was happy to stay back and bang out chords and riffs up to the lead though. I never let him down.

Sorry for the long post.

2. maxenpeter

maxenpeter New Member

How to Tune Your Guitar

The advantage of this way of notating melodies is that you can have a fake book as a reference book with a lot of melodies at your disposal.The drawback is that you do not have a written out arrangement of the song for piano. You have to figure out how to play the song by yourself. Actually this can be an advantage that will help you develop as a pianist letting you interpret the song's performance as you feel is appropriate.

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

My what a fun and slightly scary thread....
    I have been playing guitar and bass professionally since my sophomore year in high school, 1972. I've played nearly all styles of music, read music, compose, write arrangements, and sing. I double on keys and drums, can play some flute and sax, and even got a Master's in Music from UNO. I have also taught guitar for periods of time, too. When doing my project recordings I also am the producer and engineer.

Yet I am always learning, I steal licks and ideas from everyone, have had periods of time where I lived with my guitar, have ignored it in disgust for months, but always came back to music. Honestly I can play most of what I hear anyone else do, and can play like a studio player in many styles, but after this many years one SHOULD be able to do that. I can play reasonably fast, but that can also be a trap and I still work on making one note sound good.

Basically I am still a student of the guitar. Anything I can do, someone else can do it better. That's reality.

As for influences, I love all sorts of players, from Les Paul and Charlie Christian to the Chicago blues guys at Chess records, to the (no particular order) Beatles, Clapton, Hendrix, Blackmore, Howe, McLaughlin, Townshend, May, Allman, Page, etc...no surprises there! Plus the next generation of guys like Van Halen, Malmstein, Vai, Satriani, etc.

So I keep practicing.....and hope you do to!

4. TNT

TNT Active Member

Welcome to ESG Maxenpeter! :)

5. bloosman1

bloosman1 Active Member

"Where Do You See Your Playing Right Now?"

Any where that will have me. :-\

6. Pani

Pani Member

Not that good, not that bad, I'm stuck ;D

7. Ledzepp18

Ledzepp18 New Member

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being beginner, 5 being intermediate and 10 being a pro id say im right about 7ish to 8ish. I have been told by numerous people that my playing is awesome and that im pretty good. Id agree but i like to be humble about it. But what really keeps me driving to better my self is when people tell me they like my original composings or my covers. It just makes me want to keep playing and make more music.

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Ledzepp18 link=topic=10441.msg247634#msg247634 date=1269458885]
    But what really keeps me driving to better my self is when people tell me they like my original composings or my covers. It just makes me want to keep playing and make more music.
    [/quote]

That means you're more into the music than just being a hot guitarist...good on you mate!

9. Ledzepp18

Ledzepp18 New Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=10441.msg247665#msg247665 date=1269544421]
    That means you're more into the music than just being a hot guitarist...good on you mate!
    [/quote]

Thanks man O0

10. Westy Q

Westy Q Member

I have finally reached mediocre! :rockin:

11. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

In church today, we did an acoustic set. Three of us on acoustic guitar and/or mandolin and the bass player. It was awesome. However, the guy I stood next to plays: electric & acoustic guitars.... mandolin..... and bass... and he does them all really good. I do okay and mostly keep up on rhythm, but watching him is where I should be had I actually pushed myself out of the "comfort zone" and learned how to actually play this instrument we all love.

12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

one thing I have learned in my long and checkered career... there's always somebody better than me or you, and there's always somebody worse. so I say, let's not worry so much about comparisons, let's just make music as best we can.

for me, my SG was my present to myself for reaching the age of 60. the first guy I played seriously with, a guy I'd known since we were both 14... a guy who was my friend all through the intervening (and very interesting) years, a guy who was only five weeks older than I was... died in 2004. He and I used to LAUGH AT OLD GUYS... he said he'd never make sixty and he didn't. I never thought I'd outlive him. By 2008, when I reached the big six oh, I really needed some cheering up. Some of you know what I'm talking about. A difficult year for lots of us, and I'm not blaming it on O'Bama. My reaction to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune was to buy myself my one and only SG. Good choice!

I lurked here for months, feeling like I really wanted to get an SG, and desiring to know as much about it before taking the plunge... as possible. I learned a lot here. Found out that I liked the community, and didn't like the 'Les Paul Guys..." This site has a good influence that can't be measured by any criteria I know. It's just a good thing. Let that be.

People here told me that owning an SG would make me a better player. I didn't know what to think about that, but took it in with an open mind like I did the rest of what I read. But it's really true. At least in my case. My SG would call to me, and I would get her out and play. Hours would go by. I found myself getting much more comfortable with the notes and the frets, and going up and down the neck with my left hand making sure motions and my right hand flying back and forth with real precision... Glory be... Some of that goes to the legendary SG playability, and some goes to the great setup job I had done when my SG was new. And some of it was personal growth on my part, which was the point of it all. I bought the SG in order to kick my own arse into a new place, and it worked.

What I'm saying is that I feel my playing right now (at the shag end of 2011) is the best it's ever been in my long life. I'd been playing acoustic for decades, and had worked out a 'Plunka plunka plunka' kind of style that was effective enough... but wasn't what I heard in my head. Now I'm much closer to what I have always hoped for... not allowing myself to become too satisfied... always hoping to get a little better.

So I feel I'm at the top of my game, but hoping I can get just a little better...Save that. and at my age too...
    thanks to my SG and my desire to find a cure for being (so far sop good) 63. I've come into vast new places where I've never been. That thing about getting set in your ways when you're older is no joke. An SG can be the cure.