Which MIJ brands have batwing pickguard SGs?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by LesSGTeleNYC, Apr 13, 2020.

1. LesSGTeleNYC

LesSGTeleNYC New Member

I really want a quality Japanese SG, but not with an angel wing pickguard. I love the batwing.
    I’ve done a lot of research and Cool Z (fujigen) appears to be the only modern one. And even they switched to the angel in the last few years after producing batwings beginning around the year 2000.

Burny made them at times between 2000 and 2015, but I believe those were all non Japanese made.

Here is a site with yearly line catalogs for many MIJ brands.
    https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

thre are many out there..quality or not well for that u gotta play them.
    but just do a google image search for japanese lawsuit sg..and quite a few appear...even from ibanez.

3. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Most golden era MIJ SGs were aiming for the pre '65 style angel wing look with the classic bevels, but Edwards has a walnut-batwing SG (search for Edwards E-SG), and they make great guitars, I love mine. Look around on Reverb to see what they look like.

Forgot that Edwards had a Chinese factory in the 2000s, supervised by Japanese luthiers. IIRC they moved production back to Japan in 2010, so do check the year of manufacture by the serial nr. if you care where it was made. The specs are the same on paper, and I couldn't detect any visible differences between my E-SG 120 and the post 2010 ones I saw online. The shapes, the hardware and finish look the same. Which is not the case with Burnys for example. Also be aware that Mint Collection era Greco had SGs produced in Korea, and they are not as high quality...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The only one I know is the Burny RSG '69 Model,

Temp 4224.jpg

5. Satellitedog

Yeah these are the Chines ones... They look cheap. There are more than one Edwards batwings in walnut on Reverb right now. Those have the same '63 style bodies with the large pickguard and the brown finish, and have quality pickups.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. papagayo

The Burny RSG has a nice body wiith cool bevel, cream neck binding is nice too, open book headstock, nice real wood make this GG copy a good one.

7. papagayo

Edwards SG-80D

Temp 4233.jpg

Piper68Special likes this.
  8. Satellitedog

I bet the Edwards is better. My problem with the Chinese Burnys after years of searching for MIJ SGs is that that the beveling looks inconsistent from guitar to guitar, and generally wonky. The body looks to be thicker than a regular SG (came across some pretty heavy examples during my search), with a thick poly finish, and cheap plastics. It looks like a budget guitar.
    Edwards are in another class, thin finish, lightweight body with deep bevels, quality pickups, hardware and plastics. My E-SG 120 is very resonant and lively.
    Also the higher series have a nitro top lacquer which feels very nice. I'd recommend them over MIC Burnys any day.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. papagayo

I don' t know very well MIJ SGs, the ESP/Edwards look good quality.

To OP: why do you want a MIJ SG Copy? You can find a very good deal on a Gibson SG Standard.

Satellitedog likes this.
  10. Satellitedog

The 2019-20 Standards look so good they almost changed my mind about the batwing... :-)

11. LesSGTeleNYC

LesSGTeleNYC New Member

Hmmm. I was just figuring that i could get a MIJ of equal (or even better) quality to a modern Gibson for 3-500 fewer bucks. And as a Japanese American I’d take that deal any day. Now if the prices are equal that is a different story.

12. Udonitron

Udonitron New Member

Greco, Bacchus, Edwards, Navigator, & Burny to name a few made late 60s SG's with the longer supported neck joint and full guard.

[​IMG]

Satellitedog and Piper68Special like this.