Which player(s) attracted you to the SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by An Abiding Dude, Jun 28, 2021.

1. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

I know somewhere in the 466 pages of conversation threads going back to 2004, somebody has posed this question, but as a newbie, I thought I'd throw it out there for fun, interest and get to know some of the forum posters.

I know it's probably a cliche, but as a teenager growing up in the early 80s, it was Angus and AC/DC all the way. Then I got into Alice Cooper and the black and white back cover of the "Love It to Death" album with the band posing with their SGs (including Dennis Dunaway's "frog" EB-3 bass) sealed the deal.

[​IMG]

Next came the Allman Bros. with those famous photos of Duane with the glass medicine bottle killing it on an SG.
    [​IMG]
    Sabbath came later, but it was yet another affirmation that the SG was the coolest guitar on the planet.

Pageburst likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Robbie Krieger, John Cipollina, Carlos Santana, Jerry Garcia and Sam Andrew.

3. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

That's a good list. I grew up in the Bay Area and, if I'm not mistaken, with the exception of R.K., those are all SF bands. I guess there must've been something about playing in the Bay Area and loving an SG while doing it.

SikSG and Biddlin like this.
  4. laza616

laza616 Active Member

These gentlemen. And yes you see right, as a younger fella (31) the movie School of Rock with Jack Black and his SG did a job to get me hooked on SGs like a charm back in the day
    big_RV-AF895_GUITAR_G_20120209235043.jpg johngrge.jpg mikko-lindstrom-3d1f9f56-b204-4c86-b944-89f069e6dbc-resize-750.jpeg tony_iommi_50-925x540.jpg

An Abiding Dude likes this.
  5. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

Nice. I never thought about Jack Black inspiring SG love, but it makes sense. George with his '64, I believe? The man in black needs no introduction. Who's the dreadlocked fellow? Cool guitar though. I always wanted a white SG with a black pick guard. Loved the white Custom Iommi was rocking in the 1970 Paranoid video.

[​IMG]

But I always come back to Glen Buxton of the original Alice Cooper band.

[​IMG]

6. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Its Mikko Lindström aka "Linde" also known as Daniel Lioneye. He played in the band called HIM , they split up in 2017
    Yeah, white SGs are pretty great, i would take one too

7. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

8. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

That's a bit coincidental. I've never heard of HIM before a few weeks ago. My drummer chose their cover of "Wicked Game" to add to the band's setlist.

9. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

The master of doom. Who doesn't love Tony? Doesn't Jaydee also make an Iommi signature guitar in England?

Demon Dave likes this.
  10. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

Live at Leeds has been my favorite Who album since the 70s. Pete with that SG Special is still my favorite tone of his.

11. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

Exactly they do, and I think are wonderful guitars, but never played one

12. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

I kind of fell backwards into my SG while looking for a backup for my Les Paul to use in shows. The used SG I got was so heavily modified that only the most practiced eye can spot the SG lineage. Add in the fact that the modified body shape started life as a 1971-72 Deluxe (the one with the funky front mounted electronics cover which many people have never seen) and it was a real head scratcher as to what I even had for the first couple of years I owned it. All I knew was it worked and I liked it. It still plays great and I have kept it for over 30 years now..

Most of my favorite musicians have played and been photographed with an SG at some point in their careers, and for good reason. They are great guitars with a place in almost any player's stable. I love mine, and would definitely get another if the right deal comes along. So in short, I didn't get mine because of what anybody else played, it was just a happy accident that worked out better than I had any right to expect. :D

Demon Dave likes this.
  13. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Yeah but Wicked Game is not a HIM song but its a cover they did. The song is originally by Chris Isaac.
    I dont know what style do you prefer, but HIM is mostly known because of the song Join Me, and in the US its because of Bam Margera....the heartagram (HIMs logo) is everywhere on anything that has something to do with Bam

14. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

one of the most inspirational pieces of playing by a brilliant guitarist

MikeT57 and An Abiding Dude like this.
  15. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

16. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Some newly released and beautifully restored footage of my inspiration:

Also a rare show where he plays a then-brand-new 1981 SG with the different switch location and tarbacks.

The only drawback to this stellar performance is Malcolm's Gretsch's pickups having recently been rewound very hot, to the point where they just blend with Angus and there is not their usual distinct two-guitar sound.

jonnyfez and An Abiding Dude like this.
  17. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

I guess if I didn't already want an SG, I totally would after seeing this twisted $#!t... :dude:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Demon Dave and An Abiding Dude like this.
  18. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

Damn straight. The Who definitely at the top of their game live.

[​IMG]

jonnyfez likes this.
  19. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

I've heard of Mac Sabbath. That's pretty ridiculous. Is the singer intentionally that bad? All I could think about was that poor bass player in the Grimace suit. It must get hotter than hell in there, but it's the price one pays for their art...

20. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Member

Wow. Back when Brian still had some range and articulation. That is some beautiful wood grain on Angus' guitar. No doubt Angus made many covet an SG, I know he was my initial inspiration. I still think "Flick of the Switch" was one of their best with Brian.