Which SG should I buy? (suggestions please!)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DCguitars, Sep 15, 2021.

1. DCguitars

DCguitars New Member

Thank you for such a thorough response pancake81. No disrespect taken; you are correct in your assesment.

Jaydee would probably be my top choice. But 3 years... I don't want to wait that long.

The ONLY reason I am so anti-custom shop is the VOS and aging. It just turns me off. I don't want my brand new guitar to look old. I want to wear it out myself. And I have no nostalgia for the 60s at all. I do not have a doubt in the world they make world class guitars in the Custom Shop. But I just cannot buy something like that, out of principle. Unless of course, we are talking about that black SG Custom that goes for $4699. I would be all over that in a heartbeat. But it's been out of stock forever.

I was considering the M2M program so I could get a custom shop caliber model, that quality, without the VOS and aging. And with some specs that are not super important to me, but would be nice (no fingerboard inlays, and a TV Yellow finish). But, you have given me cause to pause.

That said, I saw this great comparison video on YouTube between the USA SG Special and Custom Shop SG Special, and I genuinely thought the USA sounded better. I really like the p90 pickups on an SG. The USA SG Special is probably my top choice right now.

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

If you are loving the P90 sound and want a really nice guitar, this is very highly regarded. Look through this site and there are some recent posts of folks who acquired this and say it is by far the best guitar in their stable.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...ommi-monkey-sg-special-vintage-cherry-1287371

3. pancake81

4. pancake81

Some additional options below. Like I said, custom shops are amazing, and dont limit yourself to what Gibson lists on their site. Go through reverb and you will see a variety of amazing instruments that will interest you.

You seem to like:
    P90s = Check
    T.V. Yellow = Check
    Custom Shop = Check
    Dots or no markers = Check
    Jr's or Special = Check
    Guitar that will exceed expectation in craftmanship = Check

Now I want to point out that this guitar IS a VOS. But notice it is not all relic'ed, No finish checking, no big dings or dents, nothing. What VOS is, is a little bit of oxidization on the nickle parts. Thats it! and this happens naturally. Like I said, if you play (or even own this guitar for that matter) for a month or two, it will have this feature. My 2001 61 RI has WAY more oxidizing than the VOS model. So if you think the below guitar looks to your standards, dont rule out the VOS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://reverb.com/ca/item/41471627...al-reissue-lightning-bar-vos-tv-yellow-100433

https://reverb.com/ca/item/42025570-2001-gibson-custom-shop-sg-special-tv-yellow-video

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That first SG Special is the perfect TV Yellow and the binding is not pink. Unfortunately it has a slim taper neck because the angled bridge position indicates it is a reissue of a 61-62 model.

1963-71 the bridge is parallel to pup and the necks were thicker and rounded.

I’ve seen that third one listed before. It’s a bright yellow M2M. Makes you wonder what’s wrong with it. Why someone would spend that kind of coin on an M2M and then sell it?

IMO, no one needs to be paying $4000 for an SG Special. I don’t care if it is CS, M2M, USA or vintage. SG Specials are simple guitars without any fancy inlays or other features. These guitars should never exceed $2500 max.

6. pancake81

Nothing wrong with a good 61 neck, so long as your into that. Personally I love mine, but I like almost every neck shape. Just takes me a few minutes to adjust, they all have their advantages.

Why would someone sell a M2M…? Hard to say, too many guitars, hard times, selling to buy the next one. I would have no issues with buying someone else’s made to measure if it fit my requirements

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Regarding Youtube "Tone Shootouts", Take them with a healthy dose of skepticism. They can be moderately informative, but only if you can see and understand what the demonstrator is doing with regard to each step of the signal chain.

Yes there are things on an electric guitar that affect tone, but probably 2/3 of your tone comes from what happens after the output jack. I have seen two schools of thought in these "shootouts". One dials in the amp for "good tone" with guitar A, then plugs in guitar B with no changes. No surprise that there is a major advantage for guitar A in such a comparison.

The second approach uses different settings for guitar A and guitar B Of course that isn't a 1 to 1 comparison, but it is more likely to show how good both can be. Of course it is also more likely to be affected by "experimenter bias" since the user has a massive amount of control over the final sound of each instrument.

The best Youtube demonstrators can give a reasonable subjective analysis, and some idea of what you can expect from one example of a guitar with a given set of amp/player/signal chain options. Your mileage may vary if your equipment, expectations, playing style, etc. are different.

The worst Youtube demonstrations can be seriously flawed, highly biased, or neglectful of important details.

My experience is that I can usually get several subjectively "good" tones from almost any combo, but they can be different from what other players would get with the same rig, and not everyone is going to agree on what is a "good" sound to begin with. This is the primary reason so many people are stressing the "Play it before you buy it" mantra. There is so much going on with electric guitars in terms of "tone", there is only one way to be sure and that is to put it though it's paces if you are looking for something that you will be 100% satisfied with.

pancake81 likes this.
  8. DCguitars

DCguitars New Member

How exactly do they go about this VOS process? I read about 'gunk' in the past.

9. pancake81

VOS is just supposed to resemble a vintage guitar as if it were unplayed and stored in the closet since new. Basically a little bit of oxidation on Nickel parts. No aging as if it were road worn.

like I said, those photos above are the VOS treatment. Look at the stop bar in the first photo, see how it’s not shiny nickel or chrome, a bit of oxidation. That’s it, that’s VOS. I prefer it to be honest. Personally I wouldn’t be afraid of it, your guitar will take on that look naturally in short order. Quicker if you are a player

10. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Member

You do not need to spend $6500 to find a great guitar. I have been playing for 50+ years and own 2 SG's. One is a 1969 I bought new as a kid and a new 61 Standard reissue this year for $1700. Both are fantastic guitars. Focus less on price and go around and play a bunch. Trust me they will all feel and sound a bit different. If you play enough you will find a winner for way less than $6500.

11. cerebral gasket

I don't get SG with expensive price tags.

When you think about it, an SG Custom is just an SG Standard body with an LP Custom neck and headstock. Large blocks vs trapezoids, bound headstock vs unbound, split diamond vs crown inlay. Is it really that much more expensive to produce because of different neck and headstock ornamentation?

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  12. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

I think we're entering the Cadillac v. Honda Civic argument, cg. Both will get you where you need to go, but one of them says, "look at how much I spent on this car!"

13. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

So DC,
    Here's a great guitar that many on this site praise. The SG Classic from the aughts.

https://reverb.com/item/43991248-gibson-sg-classic-2010-cherry-w-hsc

Check 'er out. Super fun guitar, looks great and P90s to boot. If nothing else, it'll get cerebral gasket's unfetter approval!

14. cerebral gasket

Which one to buy?
    It's a matter of how many.
    One for each tuning.
    E, E♭, C#

[​IMG]

Epiphan, joseph07081 and pancake81 like this.
  15. alex1fly

alex1fly Member

+10000000

Oof, my response is a bit rough, but here goes anyways. My advice for finding a dream guitar? Don't fixate on an SG. Hit all the guitar shops you can, play as many guitars as possible, and make note of what speaks to you. THAT'S how you find a dream guitar - by playing tons and tons of guitars and making notes. You have the money to get darn near anything - why limit yourself to an SG that, admittedly, you'll have to find online?

You want an SG - get an SG. There's tons out there. Heck, buy 4 SGs and sell the 3 you like least. But "finding your dream SG" through the power of your wallet alone is pretty vain and a bit naive IMO.

However, showing up to a forum and stating that you've saved $6000 to buy your perfect guitar tells me that you and I are not the same. I've been playing music semi-pro for 25 years and am classically trained in strings, wind, and voice, and would NEVER spend that kind of money on a solidbody electric guitar, when loads of amazing ones can be found for sub-$1000.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I do own some nice guitars - a McCarty PRS and a Les Paul traditional, but they are strictly for me to enjoy at home. They would never go to a gig. I have an Epiphone SG, a 339 and a Strat for that, and they all play perfectly because I've taken the time to make sure they do.

17. Go Nigel Go

While I totally agree with the above by Alex1fly for myself, in fact that is exactly how I approach guitar buying, I think the OP specifically wants an really nice SG for his/her own reasons. I get that. With up to $6,000 to play with that should be absolutely no problem.

I think there are a lot of good reasons to play other guitars as part of the search too. It seems the biggest problem for the OP is defining exactly what they want from their ideal SG. The best way to do that is, as you say, to go forth and figure it out by playing a bunch of stuff.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  18. DCguitars

DCguitars New Member

Yeah that was a bit aggressive. Not sure what warranted that.

Just to be clear, I never claimed that I wanted to buy a $6000 SG. That’s just the amount I have saved for this interest/hobby. I’ve played guitar for many years. I’ve been playing a Yamaha C40 the past few years. Before that, I played a MIC Fender acoustic guitar for about a decade. And throughout, I’ve had cheap Strat-like guitars lent to me for months at a time, that I played through cheap peavey amps. So, yeah, I want something I consider ‘good’ or ‘nice’ now. Musicians play the piano, clarinet, trumpet, violin, etc. At one point, they invest in an excellent, high quality instrument that costs way more than what guitar players are used to. And, I’m fully aware that most of what you pay for in high priced guitars is fancy binding and inlays, etc. I could care less for that stuff. But I don’t think it is insane for a person who considers themselves a serious, practicing musician, to invest in a high quality instrument. And by this I mean of course, build quality, sound quality, durability, and playability. Of course, for an electric guitar player, the amp is the other half of the instrument. So, spending the full amount I have saved on the guitar would be foolish. If I find the right guitar for $1500, then I have a lot left over for a nice amp. I never claimed a nice guitar costs $6000. I don’t even believe such a thing. I’m not sure you read my original post.

And for the record, the reason I like SG guitars is because I’ve done exactly what you and Go Nigel Go said: I’ve gone to a guitar store and tried everything. The SG is the guitar that I felt most comfortable with. For a simple reason that most people here would probably relate to: super light weight and excellent doublecut upper fret access. SGs look very stupid to me. Sophomoric even. I hate the horns. And I prefer the Les Paul in regards to tone. But the ergonomics are there with the SG. And Les Pauls weigh half a ton.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  19. Go Nigel Go

I do hope you will post pictures of what you finally settle on. :D

Your budget limits should easily cover a really nice SG, a really nice amp, and probably quite a few other nice things (like pedals and such). You are of course 100% correct that the amp is in a very real sense "the other half of the instrument". What style/types of music do you plan to play? You can certainly do anything you want with the right combo. SG's are very flexible beasts that will cover a lot of musical ground.

20. Carrion

Carrion Member

1991 SG Custom 30th anniversary .. done and done ..

DCguitars likes this.