Which SG should I buy? (suggestions please!)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DCguitars, Sep 15, 2021.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

i have searched for those in the past. Love that guitar, such a beauty

2. Ed Burns

Ed Burns New Member

My two cents worth, buy a new Gibson SG Standard for $1,500 then have a professional set up. The new Gibsons are outstanding and you’ll love it......forever! I sure love mine!

DCguitars likes this.
  3. Fingerfire

Fingerfire New Member

If you want the best SG $6K can buy the best bet is to shop around for an awesome luthier and have one built for you.

DCguitars likes this.
  4. Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor New Member

Have you ever thought about building your own? You can buy a number of very high quality neck/body kits for an SG, customize it with your own colors stains paints etc, customize it with whatever parts and electronics you want, and you can build anything almost as good that came out of Gibson for a fraction of the price. Then you're guaranteed to have exactly what you want. All you need to have is some minor handyman skills some tools and materials and you're good to go.

5. NiteGoat

NiteGoat New Member

Buy whichever one sounds, plays, and feels best to you.

6. WarpDriveBy

WarpDriveBy New Member

I can only tell you that I like the '61 RI standard. Mine is a custom 2014 with 58 burstbuckers, underwound neck over wound bridge. I was fortunate enough to purchase it from a friend who'd aunt left it to her when she passed. I also love the ESP/LTD Viper, which isn't a direct swap for an SG, but plays like one without the neck needing seasonal tweaks. My experience with Gibsons is that they're unpredictable, I would NEVER order one or purchase without playing it. I've A-B'd the same model with the LP studio and they can feel different, and not always in positive ways.

GuitarJedi and DCguitars like this.