Which would you rather?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by An Abiding Dude, Aug 8, 2021.

?

Which would you rather?

1. A single custom shop SG

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Three SG Standards or equivalent

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. Tom Dickinson

Tom Dickinson Member

To me this is a no-brainer!! 'Custom Shop' stuff in general is WAY too expensive for me! Plus, I like having 'choices'. So, give me $4500 to spend on guitars, and I'm coming away with 5 or 6 'good' guitars, most likely all 'used', but carefully chosen to meet my expectations and desires! Seriously...... just think about it: 5 or 6 'GOOD' guitars, or 1 expensive, over-priced, perhaps not even all that great sounding or playing, but clearly 'fancy' product being sold to maximize profit for the manufacturer!!???? Really? NFW!!!

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  2. Les’s Nemesis

Les’s Nemesis Member

An aside: Original question notwithstanding, that room is a work of art by itself.

3. Les’s Nemesis

Les’s Nemesis Member

I'd buy the lower priced guitars.

I do have one upscale guitar, purchased long ago before pricing was as ridiculous as it is today. It's a wonderful thing to play. Almost plays itself. Beats my lower priced but "highly setup" guitars by more than a few feet in feel and sound.

But, that's not to say the other "low brow" guitars aren't fun. Or that they aren't great players. Or that anyone would know when listening to them sing.

None of the budget guitars were "out of the box" great (actually, purchased used for even less $'s). But with some time and short money fixing the "cheap guitar" shortcomings as needed, they are great. I enjoy playing them immensely. The cheapest might be my favorite. At least it is on some days.

I'd buy three or four standard guitars of varying type with the money. Maybe three with the remaining money spent on serious setup on the others to make them play like the CS and a lifetime supply of strings. Or maybe three or four reasonably priced Epi's, some pleking and tweaking, a nice vintage tube amp, and a few thousand still left over for investment in something else.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Go Nigel Go likes this.
  4. MR D

MR D Active Member

IF you are a Rich Guy, why not buy all of them ?
    I'm not a rich Guy so I'd probably grab the 3 SG Standards, I would be set for 9-10 years!
    I actually have a Gibson CUSTOM shop Les Paul, and 1 Gibson Les Paul Standard AND both of them are just MONSTEROUS Guitars...BUT I think the STANDARD is a slightly better sounding Guitar....and it cost me $1400 less than the Lester CUSTOM Shop axe.
    but the saying goes: One must pay for the finer things, yes? Ebony Fret-Boards, Mother-of-Pearl Headstock-Fret-Board In-Lays and Custom-Bucker Pickup's don't come cheap, no !

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Well said, but I personally feel the way to do this is to make sure to Rock'n roll all night and part of every day, which can be done with any old ̶g̶u̶i̶t̶a̶r̶ SG. But yeah, if you want something because you want it - get it.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    In fact, a lot of art has been produced in that room in the 25 years I lived here.
    jeangaudet.ca

10515317_1274673969215719_8860821988380737110_o.jpg

2014-05 Atelier.jpg

2016-10-25 Studio .jpg

Les’s Nemesis likes this.
  7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

My favorite and now only SG is the cheapest one.

Unless the CS can offer something I can’t get anywhere else, I’m all set with one.

8. Jackson753

Jackson753 Member

One would be ideal!

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

How come you never did anything on the guitars?

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I did think about it, but didn't feel it. Different medium I guess.

11. agejaded

agejaded New Member

I used to be skeptical about expensive Custom shop guitars, thinking that the cost couldn’t justify the asking price.
    I had an Ibanez Iceman IC50, bottom of the range for 26 years and was really happy with it.
    In 2008 I bought a used R9, thinking that if it wasn’t as good as the hype I could sell it on. 13 years on I still have it. I didn’t buy it new but it’s certainly worth the price I paid.
    If the choice I had was one really good guitar or a collection costing the same, I’d opt for one.

KelvinS1965 and pancake81 like this.
  12. Mindthepipes

Mindthepipes Member

I've owned 8 Gibson SG's and all were fantastic guitars - but Custom shop, especially the aniline cherry '64 with the Maestro, is in a league of its own. It's my only SG at the moment, it made all the others obsolete. Get one and find out. You can always return it if you don't like it.

13. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Get the guitar(s) you want, and play the **** out of it.Life is too short to fart around.
    Every Gibson SG Custom I have ever played was a monster, a cut above.The Doube-Cut Diamonds just make me Rocky every time. But Gibson SG Standards, as I am sure you know, are no slouches either ! Either way I do not think you can lose. I think Gibson says the Custom shop is where the Pro's go?

pancake81 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  14. Tia

Tia New Member

I'd like to say 'just one guitar' or 'one guitar to rule them all', but it seems impossible. A baseline SG and an acoustic.

15. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Whoa Whoa, surely the acoustic would come out of a different budget no? Lol.

I always have a budget for any purchase. There an SG budget, a semi hollow budget, an acoustic budget… lol

In all seriousness I am surprised how many folks voted for 1 Custom Shop. That’s also what I voted for. If I truly had 5k and had the choice, I would choose they best, absolute frigggin’ best, SG I could find. Yes custom shops are a ton of money. Are they worth it..? That’s an individual question.

If we were all looking for good playing guitars without spending more than we have to we would have stables full of Epiphones. I own a Sheraton. Lovely guitar. As nice as a Gibby? Probably not. But plays and looks fantastically. It surely outplays me! I am an average player with beautiful instruments. No different than a successful 60 year old business man that buys a Ferrari. Could he have bought a Lamborghini…? Maybe. But at the end of the day both vehicles with our perform his abilities.

Is a USA line Gibson as nice as a Custom Shop model? Chances are the CS has more man hours of build time and attention put into it, and likely has some more refined finishing, better materials (hand picked woods), PLEKD, and should you care, may be “historically correct”.

Is the 300% price increase worth the build detail and possible increase to playability. Personal decision my friend.

My last comment would be the topic of art. To me this is an important consideration on instruments. I love music and I love instruments. Especially guitars. Heaven forbid I hit arthritis so bad I couldn’t play. Would I still buy guitars? You bet your a$$ I would. I get so much joy from walking into my music room, listening and watching music, attempting to play, but most importantly just being immersed by it all. Guitars are worth their price to me just to hang on the wall.

YMMV :cool:

[​IMG]

16. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I HAVE the money, but I would never spend that much on a guitar. And I've owned hundreds over the years (old guy alert). Now, stay off my lawn!:naughty:

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I didn't vote, because my opinion wasn't offered as an option.
    I would never pay CS prices for any guitar. AND I would never pay "vintage" prices
    for any guitar.

I've never needed to. I seem to be able to make excellent music with much less
    expensive guitars and basses. I played my whole career with guitars I bought used, for reasonable prices.
    I got them set up by the best luthiers I could find, and they served me well.

Personally, I dislike bling, and I dislike hype. I like excellent quality, and have been
    able to get what I needed without spending too much... and then put those instruments
    to work to the best of my ability.. For the overworked and underpaid guitarist and/or bassist, this is a good business plan.

I actually DO have the money to buy an instrument that would make me happy.
    But recently, due to medical issues in my family, I sold off all my "vintage" instruments
    (which I bought before the prices went so high) and I sold off others in my collection, so
    that I ended up with five... These do everything I need...
    five guitars_lighter@100.jpg
    Two SG specials, two acoustics (a Martin and a Gibson) and one bass (my Warmoth fretless).

The humble SG special will do anything its more expensive cousins will do IMHO.
    Mine didn't cost much, so I spent some money on the faded brown one... installing all the best of everything I could make or buy. That guitar rewards me with excellent action and
    tone. The Silverburst with mini-hums needed no "improvements" and has a fine unique tone
    all its own. *shrugs...

So I don't need anything fancy. These humble SG's give up nothing when measured next
    to guitars costing five to eight times as much. As long as I do my part. The value of an instrument is in the music you can make with it. That's my opinion anyway.

My bass I built myself out of Warmoth parts, so it's a CS bass without the fancy price tag.
    I built it using all the best parts I could afford, and it sounds great and can take its place
    onstage next to others costing much much more.

What I enjoy doing with music budget money is to bring an inexpensive instrument up
    to the most exacting standards. A fine used instrument or an Epiphone make good platforms
    for this. Another day, ask me about my Epi ES 339 which I have modded extensively till
    it rings like a bell and comes alive in my hands...
    Caledonia 10-01-16@100.jpg

papagayo and Go Nigel Go like this.
  18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Member

That's how I approach it, though on a lower scale to CS vs Standard USA models. I have one SG Standard that covers my 'Gibson with humbuckers' guitar option and it's a great guitar that plays superbly: I don't see the point having multiple slight variations of an Epiphone SG instead (as a downgraded version to the OP's question).

agejaded likes this.
  19. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    If you are going to offer two choices, please make sure they are a true dichotomy. A and B are not a dichotomy given the existence of C, D, E etc. A and NOT A are a dichotomy.

20. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

Yeah, my avatar shows my CS ‘64.
    Most wunnerful!

Recently I got a production 2021 ‘61 SG RI.
    Also a great SG, even with the “‘60’s slim taper” neck.
    The pickups (‘61r & ‘61t) sound GREAT

pancake81 likes this.