White SG Club

Gibsg

Reaction score
Johberex, You've got a real beauty SG Very very nice

yv4j.jpg

Danoooo

Reaction score
Ok I've been lurking round everythingsg for a couple of months now. Here's my white SG. According to the serial number it's an 87 model from Nashville. I bought it 2nd hand about 20 years ago. It's got a few battle scars but I totally love this guitar and have no intention of fixing them. I've only just replaced the tuners the other day. Back in my student days one of the original tuners started falling apart and then gave up all together. Apparently I was too tight back then to replace them with the proper ones and it had some silver button tuners till a few days ago. So now when I look at it I'm thinking wow that's beautiful.

uEVAMVg.jpg

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Hello everybody
My first post on the forum, hope you’ll enjoy the pics of my white SG’s. From left to right: 1964 Jr, 1968 Special, 1971 Standard, 1976 Custom.
AWESOME!! :wow:
Are the witch hat knobs on your '76 Custom stock?

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
Johberex, You've got a real beauty SG Very very nice

yv4j.jpg

I've just watched a documentary that had a picture of Sabbath in
the studio, and T. I. was playing one just like that, lefty though of
course.

I couldn't see all of it, so it might have had 3 pups.

bea

Reaction score
Allright, Bea! I've got a P.T., and it's incredible. That bass is killer as well. I can see some of the mods on the bass, care to elaborate?

The mods of the bass: the hipshot bridge is the obvious, the bridge pickup in the music-man-sting-ray-position as well. Under the covers some changes have been done: the neck sidewinder has been improved by putting a thick steel blade between the bobbins. This improves the bass response of the pickup a lot, quite interestingly also its treble response. It is surprisingly crisp. The pickup has not been rewound; it is still the 1.2 kOhm variant used by Epiphone.

The bridge pickup is a minihumbucker wound really hot - 14.5 kOhm, thin wire. AFAIK the bobbins are wound around 2 Alnico 5 magnets used as blades. Meanwhile - the picture still shows a wilkinson minihumbucker.

The pickup selector is a 4 way switch. Forth position adds a capacitor of about 5-10 nF (i am still vaying that) to the sidewinder and gives a tone really close to the original mudbucker. If both pickups are used in parallel, they are decoupled by an additional resistor in series with the mudbucker. Necessary because its low impedance would overdamp the system.

The 2nd switch is a simple C-switch acting upon the bridge pickup. Especially in its darkes (moderately dark) position, the custom minihumbucker sounds full enough to be used alone. It is actually my preferred position.

Recently i have added a FET buffer, i.e. the bass is active. The battery fits nicely into the cavity of the original bridge pickup. The tone pots are still inactive; i have yet to design a circuitry fitting well to the limited headroom caused by the operation with just 9 V.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread but the OP JUST LAID DOWN 4 of a kind
If he had a 5th, we'd have seen a Royal flush. Nice first post.

Johberex

Reaction score
AWESOME!! :wow:
Are the witch hat knobs on your '76 Custom stock?

Thanks to all of you for your appreciation! Sorry about being so late in my reply.
About the knobs: they are not original. The guitar was a repair project when I got it and had speed knobs and a harmonica bridge. As it needed some wood work due to a poorly repaired broken neck/body joint I took the opportunity to change the harmonica bridge for an abr1, just for appearence. And as the original Cherry red paint couldn't be saved I painted it off-white and reliced it.
Best regards
/Johberex

Latest posts