Who Or What Inspired You To Play?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by guitarweasel, Apr 22, 2008.

1. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Just curious.

2. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

My brothers playing music (bass and drums) is what first sparked my interest in music.

3. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I have no idea. I think it was around the time I started listening to classic rock though.

4. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

I played saxophone begrudgingly in the 4th through 8th grade and I quit to play football in High School as they refused to allow me to play in the orchestra and NO FREAKIN WAY was I gonna play in a marching band...kinda hard while playing in the game too.

Got my teeth busted out and that wrecked my ombuchure..no more woodwind for me.
    I tried bass got bored, got turned onto John Entwhistle and his manic playing then carpal and cubital tunnel destroyed my hands.

Randy Rhoads playing was just so wonderful that I decided to try to play the guitar.
    Of course most of my playing is blues or blues rock oriented and definately not classical like Randy but he inspires me. RIP

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I've loved music my entire life. Started on piano and did two years of that. Also did some traveling around singing with a church music group. I started really liking rock and roll at age 10 and the beatles and beach boys were my favorites way back in the day. Decided i wanted to be like them and bought an electric guitar and learned the basics.

Then a buddy introduced me to The Who. I was amazed by everyone in the group and decided tried (unsucessfully) to put a rock band together. My main influences as a pre-teen and young teen were:

beatles/beach boys (tie) - as a pre teen
    The Who - as a teenager

6. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

if i had to pin it to one as the seed of the idea, then the beatles. as far as the gasoline fuel, all of the early to mid seventies metal bands (sabs/zep/purps etc)

the smoldering heat... seeing nugent in concert in 1976 and then kiss two weeks later and the sex pistols never mind the bollocks and then van halen in early 77... it was on at that point. the heavy metal explosion in the early 80s was the ignition and acceleration... (yep i was a late starter)

7. Dettol666

Dettol666 Member

Queen/ Brian May for me. I picked a guitar up after wanting to know how he got all those weird sounds...

8. angus

angus Active Member

My dad...

9. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Kurt Cobain

I think I was 13 or something when I heard nirvana. It blew me away! At the time there seemed to be a million fake hair bands like poison. And awefull soft music like new kids around the block. All which bored me to death. I resorted to listening to my parents Beatle records and the doors, cause I wanted to hear something that felt real to me. But when I heard Nirvana, something inside me changed. I had no Idea what he was saying, but the music seemed so raw and hard. That it got my blood pumping and my emotions revved up. I noticed the guitar playing seemed more about melody then shredding, and I felt like I wanted to express myself like that too

10. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Jimi Hendrix made me pick up a guitar.

Eric Clapton, The Who, Stones, Doors (well all the great bands) and my love of the blues made me continue.

11. smk506

smk506 Member

I took guitar half of my junior year and all of my senior year in high school, I took the class because thats the class I knew this girl at school was going to take sooooo.... She ends up in like Phys ed or something and the rest is what is.

12. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

Well that's water under the dike now..........uh........I mean bridge. :roll:

13. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

Started on piano when I was about 8, and carried on with that for years, really enjoyed it and I had the hottest piano teacher ever! Then I started the guitar just to add to my abilities but when School Of Rock came out I saw Jack Black rocking out to AC/DC with his SG and that got me totally hooked on the instrument. AC/DC totally made me a solid guitar player, then as I added more and more bands to my favourite list, my playing has really changed. From AC/DC I get a pounding rock style, Twisted Sister I get a fast raw style, Alice Cooper I got quite a slow and elegant style (from his early stuff of course), and Maiden I got some speed and accuracy. That's what inspired me and kept me going :coolsmiley:

14. 8-ball

8-ball Member

My 9 year older bigbrother. He gave me a Hohner blues harp and I started on that when I was around 10. Took piano lessons in 6th grade but hated it. I did like to fool around with the piano at home though.
    A schoolmate introduced me to guitar when I was 16 yo.
    My first musical heros was Status Quo, and the first record I bought was Piledriver.
    The rest - as we say - is history :coolsmiley:

15. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

My dad... he plays guitar and banjo mostly bluegrass got me my first guitar when i was 7 it was a CHEEP strat copy and after i could play a few cords by 9 he got me an Epiphone SG (G-310) got bord with guitar at around 11 and wanted to play bass went to that for a couple of years till I um "found" a Gibson SG when i was 13 started getting into bands like motorhead the clash the sex pistols etc. and its never stoped!

16. Rooney

Rooney Member

Pete Townshend and The Who are really what got me into music and that's where all I listen to can be traced back to because I looked at who those guys listened to and so on but I also look at who they've inspired. The Who will always be #1 in my book even if I don't listen to them as much as I used to. (Just started playing Who's Next on vinyl again the other day and it was nice)

17. alexrules43

alexrules43 Member

My favorite guitar player was Allen Collins from Lynyrd Skynyrd. He inspired me to play.

Incidentally, his two biggest influences, Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend, are my two favorite guitar players.

18. jetlag

jetlag Member

I got into music, favorite band being Feeder, me and some friends were like "LET'S START A BAND!" We all decided what we were going to play. One of my friends allready had a guitar, the other guy decided to buy drums, and eventually I got a bass. Our first "practice" years later was a major fail :cool: ;D
    Learned all the Feeder songs I could. Then just over a year after, got bored, and bought a guitar and started learning that.
    Come summer 2 years ago, I joined my first 'proper' band, spent all summer through winter practising, first gig was Jan last year.
    Since then, I got into MANY more bands, more complex bands, lots of bands with different sounds (hence the massive array of effects pedals ;D), and for quite a while, had a massive Pink Floyd kick, and Gilmour became my "guitar god" and that's who I wanted to play like... it's going to be a long journey! ;D

19. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

My mom was always listening to gypsy music, Elvis, and 50's instrumental bands such as Telestar. After picking up the violin at the age of seven, I wanted to play gypsy and Celtic music, and even bluegrass. When I saw Jerry Reed play with Chet Atkins on the Glen Campbell show(also around 1969), I wanted to learn to play guitar. Soon I was listening to Johnny Cash, Johnny Rivers, and other rock and roll/country crossover artists. About this time I also discovered Jimi Hendrix, the Allman Brothers, and Jefferson Airplane. I wanted a guitar real bad. By the time I got my first electric guitar I was into all sorts of 60's and early 70's psychedelic blues and acid rock. Hendrix was my biggest influence at the time. I still think much of my sound is based on my early influences. I still try to play feedback the way Jimi did. I've been complemented on my use and control of feedback on numerous occasion.