Why did they do this?

Colnago

Reaction score
I just bought a used Gibson SG Special from 2019/2020 in faded Pelham blue, which is a freakin’ amazing colour. Anyways, Gibson goes through the trouble of using quality pots, orange drop caps and brags about hand soldering and all that and yet they use a crappy “China” output jack? I mean, I know that the Switchcraft ones are made in China, and that isn’t the issue, the issue is that they didn’t use a tried and true Switchcraft branded jack, I was shocked that they couldn’t splurge on the $3.90 retail price for one. The one in there is definitely lesser quality, the spring steel doesn’t have the same “snap” feel to it.
Again, the country of origin has nothing to do with it as I’m not that naive, the branding on this one simply is “China” and not “Switchcraft” and the feel of quality is nowhere near.
How long has this been going on?
84A82B87-85C4-4441-AB73-B965644D4D51.jpeg
Another weird thing with this guitar is that the “b” machine head had so much free play and dead space that I could barely tune it. I had to replace it with a Kluson when I got home. Never had to do that in over 25 years of playing and over 200 guitars. Strange.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Used guitar.

How do you know that part wasn’t changed by previous owner in the event they damaged the original?

If the output jack is stock from the factory, then it’s possible that was all that was available at the time.

Last edited:

Colnago

Reaction score
Used guitar.

How do you know that part wasn’t changed by previous owner in the event they damaged the original?

If the output jack is stock from the factory, then it’s possible that was all that was available at the time.

Even if it is original, other components such as the tuners have been made overseas for years.

PW = Ping Works

full
For sure, that is a possibility. The solder joints looked factory though and it didn’t look as if anyone was ever in there.
As I mentioned in my original post. Im fully aware that other parts are made overseas. Lots are quality as well, this is not.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
congratulations on getting an excellent guitar.
Nothing like an SG with P-90s... it's a fine combination.

(this goes in your earlier NGD post).
whenever I buy a used guitar, I go over it too, with the intention of making
what ever is wrong with it correct.

I wouldn't buy one if I didn't want it. And if I want it, I'll make it mine
even if I have to replace parts to do this. The old owner sold it for a reason.
I usually think of it as my job to figure out why the old owner sold it,
and correct that.

It usually isn't hard. and once that's done, the guitar usually rewards me
with excellent tone and feel. With me, I buy a guitar because I want what it
can do. So once I sort out any little flaws, I settle down and play it.

that's my way in this world. Again, congratulations! Your new purchase looks
like it ought to serve you well. Now let's see some more pictures, and let's
hear more about how it sounds and feels.

DrBGood

Reaction score
... the spring steel doesn’t have the same “snap” feel to it.
Have you tried to bend that prong slightly inwards. I bet if you do that, close the control cavity and play the guitar, within a few days your mind will forget that there's a "cheap" jack in there and your cable will make a loud and solid clunk when inserted or removed.

Loose Switchcraft jack happened to me once, for that exact reason. The prong somehow got bent outwards and the cable would almost fall out just looking at it.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I have Switchcraft labeled jacks in a 19 and 20 Standard (pcb quick connect), also in a 21 Junior (non-pcb). A5F29922-D5F6-4C80-A8EF-BE3B66EF6FC4.jpeg

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Is the one on the right a Custom Shop Dali model ?

No, that one was already damaged from a 2000 SG Special that was purchased second hand. Previous owner couldn't be bothered to replace it before selling the guitar.

Grover 135N are direct replacements at a fraction of the cost of the stock tuners.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Better that than ripping out the guitar jack.

Yes indeed.
Fortunately it happened with an LP with output jack on the bottom side. Cable was wrapped around the strap and it still got yanked out. It happened so fast that I think the strap came loose from the strap button, broke the plug off inside the jack and I somehow caught the guitar before it hit the ground.

:rofl: Custom Shop Dali like in the Spanish surrealist painter.
Got it.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Was it still sustaining ?

It did not sustain any damage.
However, the last chord I played prior to the connector breaking off inside the jack was still sustaining all the way until I borrowed another cable and got it plugged back in.

I got the Salvador Dalí reference earlier.

Last edited:

smitty_p

Reaction score
… and yet they use a crappy “China” output jack?

Thank you for using the term, “output jack.”

Whenever I see people refer to it as an “input” jack, it sorta makes my teeth itch!

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
In relation to the turn this thread has taken, I've recently gone down the designer cable rabbit hole purchasing a Runway Audio cable (15 footer, RA to RA, retail for $60 + $5 shipping). It's pretty nice, it doesn't tangle, got a braided type of feel to it that threads the line between stiff and supple. I really don't have enough ear left to tell if it makes a giant difference in signal loss though. IMG_0703.jpeg

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I purchase Mogami Gold W2524 wire in bulk and assemble my own cables. For connectors I have used Neutrik in the past and recently used the Switchcraft.

Latest posts