Why do my Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays sound the best on my SG?!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Repo251, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Repo251

Repo251 New Member

What is it about the SG, I don’t get it?! I’ve had mine for nearly 25 years and recently I put a spare set of bare knuckle stormy Monday pickups in it and was blown away. I’ve a set in a Gibson LP standard 60s and a neck pup in an Epi LP and they’re great there too but in the SG it’s the sound I always wanted from the neck. Clear, articulate, warm as heck with some brightness and a lovely mid scoop. I’m just speechless every time I play it. I use 11s in Eb with a 50 on the bottom. But why do the pickups sound warmer, tighter and yet LOUDER on the SG? Is it just the simple thin mahogany body or is there sth else at work? Also having a slim neck and low frets make it a jazz shred machine but with balls! I can’t get over it!

144147B7-C28C-4F85-8F55-33FEA913AAB5.jpeg

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Confirmation bias.

Dave likes this.
  3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

EDIT: I had theories but the good doctor’s post below is way more likely and I totally learned something new today. Don’t mind me, I was going on about psychological nonsense while he’s over here giving real, tangible reasons for why you think it sounds better :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    DrBGood likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Pretty simple explanation nobody thinks about. Relative pickup to bridge positions. The SG has its neck pup way closer to the bridge than the LP. Less so for the bridge, but enough to show a difference there too.

Pickup positions  SG vs LP.jpg
    I too was wondering why the Lollar sounded thicker in my thin LP Special than in the massive Junior. The bridge pup being closer to the bridge, it's distance to it is even more crucial.

bridge P90.jpg

5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I just learned something new today. :shock:

Darryl Fisher and JH1968 like this.
  6. DrBGood

Like we say here (Québec French loose translation): You'll go to bed less dumb tonight.

TChalms, Darryl Fisher, Dave and 2 others like this.
  7. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

If I can get up in the morning, and go to bed "less dumb", I call that a good day! :lol:

8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

eh bien alors... dites toi cela en français s'il vous plait...
    je ne comprends jamais la français Quebecois...

Translation: The good Doctor knows his stuff...
    but I want to read it in Canadian French. *grins
    (which is different from what I learned in school)

9. vancouverois

vancouverois Member

In French Canadian something like "J'va me coucher moins niaiseux à soir" :-)

Col Mustard and DrBGood like this.
  10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

*laughs... that was the word I didn't know.
    Sure I'd learn it fast on the streets of Montreal...

11. JH1968

JH1968 New Member

I have a Bare Knuckle P-90 in my SG Jr RI. I initially had it in a MIC Hamer double cut LP copy. It sounded great in the Hamer but when I put it in the Jr it turned into something else. To my ears it sounded brighter and little more ragged. Maybe it’s the weight difference between the SG or LP?

12. DrBGood

Here again, space between bridge and P90 is greater on the Hammer than on the SG. Same concept as if you put any bridge pickup at neck position. ti will not sound the same.

Untitled-1.jpg
    A cheap $10 P90 sounded way more testicular on my TV Yellow Special than a Lollar or a Tyson Tone on the Junior. Scary but true.

bridge P90.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Repo251 likes this.
  13. Biddlin

Mass psychogenesis. How do I know you hear the same thing I do? Maybe the Les Paul P-90 sound I hear would be like a GTO exhaust in your mind. We make a covenant with one another that a certain pitch is "C" but may never know if the C I hear is the C you do. Guitarists are guilty of some of the silliest words for qualities of sound like quack, oomph or spank. After much contemplation, I decided to just play the damned things.

JH1968 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  14. DrBGood

Don't even try :rofl: The testicularity of a P90 tone comes from your vocabulary.

15. Biddlin

Yup, total blarney in concrete terms. Like I said: Guilty!

16. Repo251

Repo251 New Member

Thanks so much for that! Is it the same difference with a Norlin sg? Mine has a pup close up to the neck...

17. DrBGood

You're welcome.
    I don't have any clues about Gibson SGs, but pickups distance relative to bridge should have the same effect on any electric guitar.

18. Go Nigel Go

If I recall correctly, the early Norlines had the necks set little deeper which put the pickup closer to the end of the neck, but as DrBGood said, the spacing relative to the bridge is what makes all the difference. When in doubt, don't trust your eyes by looking at the total package, always measure the actual measurement that makes the difference when making comparisons between guitars. Especially different types, as some of the non-critical measurements can be totally different and fool the eye, but not make any difference to the critical measurement that actually IS important.

DrBGood and Repo251 like this.
  19. Repo251

Repo251 New Member

So if the neck is nearer the bridge it makes for a warmer sound? Like I said, mine is super fat and warm in the neck but extremely clear and articulate..

20. Go Nigel Go

Actually the opposite in terms of "warmth", I would expect the neck pickup to have a bit more of the bridge pickup bite and clarity, perhaps without sacrificing much (or any) warmth, but certainly not adding any either. There are many other things that contribute to tone as well. The biggest question is if you can get the sound you want out of it. If so, then it is "perfect". Sounds like you have a pretty good combination of pickup and position for the win.

The position of the actual neck is a bit of a "red herring" on this question.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Repo251 likes this.