Why I love my SGJ

shamu1

Reaction score
I bought an SG Standard about a year ago. I've grown to love that guitar, and I figured that would forever satisfy my hunger for a Gibson SG.

But then I found this sucker on sale about a month ago for only $349, and I couldn't resist buying it:

IMAG0489.jpg

Let me tell you that I love ALL models of the SG - Customs, Specials, Standards, Custom Shop VOS models, Epiphones, you name it. But man, this axe, for me, is the quintessential SG. It may not be as fancy as my Standard, but this sucker has that awesome "cut the bullshit, shut up and play your guitar" vibe that I always associate with the SG.

This guitar is all business, no flash and dash, and I love it for that. With clean tones (no effects, I just plug it into the amp and play), it has a beautiful, crystal clear ring to it that's irresistible. I'll take the SGJ's jazz tone over any hollow body arch top any day.

Distortion? I rarely play with distortion, but with this SGJ, I can't resist. It has a mean, nasty, mid-frequency growl like a junkyard dog when overdriven, and it sustains forever. If I played in a punk rock or a heavy metal band, THIS is the guitar I'd bring onstage. I know Angus Young is an SG Standard guy, but this axe would make him proud.

The SGJ is one badass guitar.

eS.G.

Reaction score
That is why it is the source of my current GAS (though I prefer the burst colors) 349.00?!?! You got a Hell of a deal.
And I couldn't agree more with the SG's swagger being Sit the "F" down shut the "F" up and play!
And very happy to hear they do jazz (and I assume blues) well as when I first saw the Zebra humbuckers I was afraid metal was the sound de jour
Thanks shamu1 and congrats on a fine looking lil devil :-)

Biddlin

Reaction score
Welcome the Cherry SGJ club!
+1 all your observations!

shamu1

Reaction score
And very happy to hear they do jazz (and I assume blues) well as when I first saw the Zebra humbuckers I was afraid metal was the sound de jour

The SGJ is a great guitar for jazz or blues, and that's what I use it for. Of course it's a great hard rock guitar, because it really roars when you overdrive it. It's as versatile as a Telecaster, and that's saying a lot.

AC 30

Reaction score
"cut the bullshit, shut up and play your guitar"...

I love it - Sometimes less is more. I sold my SG Standard and replaced it with an SG Special...just cause it felt right.

Nice Axe! What a deal.

LeadFinger

Reaction score
Plus, each one comes with built-in cork sniffer repellent. Free of charge; you don't even need Gibson Accessories for that feature.

One of the best things about the SGJ: When I read someone else saying he only paid $349 I'm not bummed out in the least. Normally I would be, but they're such a good deal at $500 I can only feel glad for the guy who got an even better deal.

maztor

Reaction score
its unfair that you guys can get guitars so damn cheap. SGJs go for around 700usd here in sweden.

LeadFinger

Reaction score
$700 is where I'd expect the MSRP to be, with street prices in the $600 range and the occasional clearance sale at $500.

They really do have that level of quality. The fretwork is not "budget model" on mine, for instance, and the finish is smooth, even and very pleasant to experience, if a bit delicate. The nut is a keeper, with only adjustments needed to suit the player. No, "get rid of that crap nut first" problems here.

So, $700 isn't terrible at all. Fender sells thin nitro finish "special run" models of the American Specials for $799 here in the States, and they're not a bad value. So, the SGJ at $700 would be in the OK range.

I hope nobody from Gibby reads posts like this on chat boards and gets funny ideas, though. Keep the price at $499 guys!

Col Mustard

Reaction score
great thread... +1 on the SFG

sympathy to those in other nations who must pay shipping charges and taxes to
make Gibson guitars more expensive. But the Gibson is worth it in my humble
opinion, and I hope you can find one.

maybe a used one, sold on a whim by a player in an Eastern European Heavy Metal
band, complete with cigarette burns and scratches from barbed wire and motorcycle
chains...

shamu1

Reaction score
The SG is an amazingly macho guitar, regardless of what model you have. But the SGJ is totally testicular, with a ton of mojo and a menacing roar.

maddog53

Reaction score
Shamu1:
I Totally LOVE the color and the "I dare you to play some AC/DC on me" "No Pickguard" vibe of yer SGJ! Glad you got such a great deal on it as well....

shamu1

Reaction score
I know this is an SG forum, but I can't help but mention that the Les Paul equivalent, the LPJ, is also an outstanding guitar with a ton of mojo. I have the dark brown 2013 model:

IMAG0500.jpg

Sure, its $499 price tag is nowhere near that of an LP Standard, but don't let anyone tell you it's not a "real Les Paul". It certainly is, albeit a stripped down one.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I know this is an SG forum, but I can't help but mention that the Les Paul equivalent, the LPJ, is also an outstanding guitar with a ton of mojo. I have the dark brown 2013 model:

IMAG0500.jpg

Sure, its $499 price tag is nowhere near that of an LP Standard, but don't let anyone tell you it's not a "real Les Paul". It certainly is, albeit a stripped down one.
I came close to buying one off of Sac's cl, last week.

shamu1

Reaction score
I came close to buying one off of Sac's cl, last week.

If you like the big, fat old 50's style baseball bat Les Paul neck, the 2013 LPJ has it. It's not as heavy as a Traditional, but the whole guitar feels solid and substantial like a tank, like a LP should feel. Plus the woodwork on the LPJ is beautiful.

LeadFinger

Reaction score
That LPJ is a nice looking guitar. I almost bought the Melody Maker in TV Yellow. Then, I saw the 50s Tribute SG. Got my P90s, my '59 neck profile -- and it came wrapped in an SG. Heaven!

But I do like those lower priced LP models. Seems like Gibson had to get creative to get the price down on some SG and LPs, and in the process came up with guitars that are all the good stuff you need, with an aesthetic that is unpretentious, organic and simultaneously relaxing and exciting.

shamu1

Reaction score
That LPJ is a nice looking guitar. I almost bought the Melody Maker in TV Yellow. Then, I saw the 50s Tribute SG. Got my P90s, my '59 neck profile -- and it came wrapped in an SG. Heaven

Gonna sound like a total noobie here, but is a '59 neck profile the same as what Gibson calls the "50s neck profile", i.e, the baseball bat neck?

If so, that would be cool. I've never played an SG with that thick of a neck. I like the 50s Tribute model - it's got almost everything I want in the Pete Townshend SG model, but with a better price tag.

LeadFinger

Reaction score
According to those in the know, the early Gibsons had really fat necks. Then in '59 the company came out with a slightly slimmer, rounded neck profile. The newer ones billed as having the "50s" neck have the '59 profile.

Though, apparently, some of the custom shop models have the early 50s profile, in all its fatness and glory.

My Warmoth Strat "59" profile is quite similar to my Tribute SG. If anything, the Warmoth is a tiny bit fatter.

Latest posts