Why Is It........

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by guitarweasel, Aug 13, 2008.

1. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

You've been on a diet for over 2 weeks, get on the scale.........and you weigh more than when you started?? >:(

2. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=17657.msg217890#msg217890 date=1218647315]
    You've been on a diet for over 2 weeks, get on the scale.........and you weigh more than when you started?? >:(
    [/quote]

Karmic dead-weight?

3. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Maybe you eat in your sleep?

4. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

No, he just told us he isn't sleeping much.

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

too much salt in the new diet maybe? Bout the only thing I can think of. Back a year or two ago when i decided I had to drop 20 pounds, I did the diet and exercise thing and it took me over 3 months so don't expect too much too fast. Your metabolism might take a couple weeks to step up but it will happen. Just don't give up and don't try to do it all at once. A pound a week weight loss is pretty good sustainable rate for most folks so use that and figure out how many lbs you want to drop and it will tell you weeks it should take.

My main weekness is BBQ. I love it and when I travel it is tough to resist. Esp in areas like kansas City where the pulled pork tastes so darned good. I also had to mod my snacking. I used to eat the same sugar coated snacks my boys eat. I had to nix that and now when I want a snack, I eat animal crackers. Not as good as their snacks but alot better for me. A big handfull of animal crackers is about the same calories as a 1/4 of a donut!

You can do it and again, don't fall into the trap of wanting to rush things. Those fad diets that promise 10 pounds in 10 days are crap!

6. John J

John J Active Member

I like animal crackers.

7. fonz

fonz New Member

I had just opened a new bag of frosted animal crackers right before reading this.
    Twilight Zone...

8. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=17657.msg217890#msg217890 date=1218647315]
    [/quote]
    That recently happened to me. I told my girlfriend we would get married after I lost 20lbs. I wanted to be in shape for the honeymoon. I ended up GAINING 20lbs! :coolsmiley:

9. guitarweasel

[quote author=bradsure link=topic=17657.msg217915#msg217915 date=1218672800]
    That recently happened to me. I told my girlfriend we would get married after I lost 20lbs. I wanted to be in shape for the honeymoon. I ended up GAINING 20lbs! :coolsmiley:
    [/quote]

Smart man! O0 ;D

10. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

You have to eat to loose weight as you can cause your system or should I say shitstem to shut down and retain everything .. then there's that little problem of spiking your insulin so one needs to eat food with a low glyesmic index .... basically just graze with the sheep, est like a rabbit, and peck like a boid, not firebird BTW, and you'll be all right, er, not all right, just more lean ;D

11. TNT

TNT Active Member

Dieting by itself rarely works and still you have to keep the weight off. Jogging works well if your heart is okay. you may have to work up to it - there's no shame in that. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so you might actually gain before you lose. Always go by the same weight scale and weigh yourself in the morning when you just wake up.

It is better to eat three smaller meals a day than to skip meals. You need all the energy you can get to work out and if you skip meals your body goes into a starvation mode and won't burn the fat, you'll just get tired and sleep more while your body stores the fat like Voxman was saying

I actually weigh more now than when I arrived in Iraq but I'm in much better shape. I just ran another Army APFT a couple of hours ago. I did 72 pushups in 2 min,42 situps in 2 min, & 15:44 for 2 miles. Not bad for my age and it didn't happen overnight but admittedly I should do better on the situp portion.

Maybe you just need a better plan or just give it more time.

12. SGPlayer

SGPlayer Member

If it was anybody else I'd say because you're really working out and exercising and building muscle.
    BUT...............I KNOW that's NOT the case here!!! ;D :roll: :funny:

13. John J

John J Active Member

[quote author=bradsure link=topic=17657.msg217915#msg217915 date=1218672800]
    [/quote] The wife told me that once. It took her 5 years to lose the 20lbs. I wonder?

14. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=17657.msg217937#msg217937 date=1218689323]
    Dieting by itself rarely works and still you have to keep the weight off. J

It is better to eat three smaller meals a day than to skip meals.

You need all the energy you can get to work out and if you skip meals your body goes into a starvation mode and won't burn the fat, you'll just get tired and sleep more while your body stores the fat.[/quote]

TNT has it right. Going on a diet typically doesn't work. Planning a diet that suits your lifestyle does. Don't wing it, wease. Go see a dietician and/or nutritionist. Discover what the problem is. Then, figure out the best way to eat for you for each stage of your life.

It's not just your body you'll be helping, but everyone who wants to keep you in their lives as long as possible. For example, my Dad just had a gastric by-pass (a stomach-ectomy, basically) last year because he'd been pushing 300 lbs. for far too long. He'd become diabetic, his knees were giving out, his spine was suffering, and, though still strong as an ox, he was easily winded. He's doing ok now, but we all wish he'd taken better care of himself earlier, so that he wouldn't have had to undergo surgery. It's pretty drastic when a guy has to go under the knife lose weight.

FWIW I sincerely wish you the best.

Every American who wants to understand why their countrymen are overweight despite their efforts not to be NEEDS to watch two flix (if you haven't already): (1) Supersize Me and (2) King Corn.

I admit, I'm biased when it comes to food. But I've been a vegetarian for twenty years now and I've had http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/"]an optimal BMI[/url] in that entire time. I'm not saying it's the only way to be healthy, but a well-planned diet, with or without meat, is the only way to go.

15. guitarweasel

Thanks for the advice Ne_buddy. Funny, my mother was a vegitarian, but never pushed it....well kinda, I got carrot sticks intead of potato chips!

16. jetlag

jetlag Member

I find little things go a long way.
    Last few months I've tried cutting down on pop (or sodas, for you chaps ;D) and drinking squash instead. I never drink alcohol so that's not a problem.
    I've cut down my snacking and chocolates and such, i still eat them, but a lot less.
    I eat smaller meals when I can. Like, if I'm hungry, I'll grab a single sandwich, and then maybe another one 2 hours later isntead of both at once. Spread it out.
    If I eat something cooked its always oven cooked or grilled, never fried.
    And as for exercise, I don't do much, but I have tried to do more walking when I can - parking the car slightly further from town etc. I also do weights in my house 2-3 times a week, sometimes some situps.
    I was expecting to wait months before seeing results, but I noticed after 2 weeks I was looking slimmer.
    Funny enough, a friend I haven't seen in a while saw me earlier, and she said I've lost loads of weight. Pretty chuffed :)
    I've always been a 'big' guy though, so it's going to be hard to shift all of it I think.
    My biggest worry is that my family have a past for heart troubles (my dad and my grandfather both had heart attacks, nan has/had angina) so it does worry me a bit. :/

17. guitarweasel

[quote author=jetlag link=topic=17657.msg218117#msg218117 date=1218935745]
    I've always been a 'big' guy though, so it's going to be hard to shift all of it I think.
    My biggest worry is that my family have a past for heart troubles (my dad and my grandfather both had heart attacks, nan has/had angina) so it does worry me a bit.

[/quote]

Same here.

18. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Well, if you just lie on the floor for 24 hrs you use appx. 6 to 12 calories per each pound of bodyweight and the digestive process takes appx 200 to 400 calories a day! Carbohydrate tolerance varies with each individual and that is where your not + or - on your energy requirements ... once your near that adjust your protien intake to desired calories.

19. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

Variation is a good tool with dieting aswell. When I started my last diet, I went to the gym and excercised a lot, ate healthily and I lost a couple of stone, up to 7lb a week for the first couple. But I only ate one brand of cereal and my dinner would be chicken and salad, or maybe pork and salad once or twice a week. Doing that really puts you off, eating the same thing all the time. After I while I started to think 'I might try something different today', and since all I had in was chicken and salad I ended up with a pizza and it's a slippery slope and now all the weight I worked so hard to lose is back with a vengeance.

I never used to mind about being really big, but now I'm beginning to despise it terribly. I have stopped going to the gym as it is 1 and 1/2 hour walk and mostly up-hill, and then doing an hour at the gym afterwards nearly kills you - then you've got to walk back!

I will be starting the gym routine again soon though, when I move to university. There is a fully equipped gym on the campus :) might take 5-10 mins to walk there! It's really crunch time for me though as I've slowly been getting bigger since I lost my job and I'm really worried about my health in later life as I smoke too much also.

20. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=17657.msg218153#msg218153 date=1218981181]
    Well, if you just lie on the floor for 24 hrs you use appx. 6 to 12 calories per each pound of bodyweight and the digestive process takes appx 200 to 400 calories a day!
    [/quote]

wait a minute... i like this plan

wease... COLON CLEANSE