Why is this same LP being sold by so many people?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Sweetums, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Sweetums

Sweetums Active Member

Saw this LP Special on Reverb, then I saw the same exact guitar being offered by multiple sellers (all based in Japan) on eBay. What's going on here? Just the same seller going by different names on eBay? Doesn't seem to be a scam because of all the positive feedback. Help me out here, explain why the same LP Special is being sold by what looks like a half dozen sellers for between $700 and $1100US? Thanks gang.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Reverb is the agent in the USA, they got a bottom line price from the seller, figured their percentage and posted the ad. I'd buy it from them. :rofl:

3. Sweetums

Sweetums Active Member

Do you think the new CITES regulations will mean this will get stuck in customs for a long time?

4. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Reverb is just an online marketplace with thousands of retail sellers. Same sellers on eBay and amazon.

5. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Most of the reputable Japanese venders will be able to handle the CITES paperwork. Ishabashi certainly does. Don't do busienss with them if they cant

rotorhead likes this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Plan Zero likes this.
  7. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Ali express has almost every model of SG you can think of and honestly a lot of them look nice, except the drunkenly sanded relics. I would like to see one up close (a $300 double neck SG is tempting) if for no other reason than curiosity. Conveniently these Fibsons are in the Epiphone price range, which is really quite stupid. If they sold fake epiphones no one would blink. Most of the Chinese sellers (again, Ali express is a Chinese marketplace) deliberately don't show the front of the headstock, but they go as far as putting a serial # and made in USA on the back of it.
    You could always contact the seller and ask; a lot of merchants sell the same item at different prices depending where it's sold. There's also a chance the Japanese seller bought a fake without realizing it, though you would think they would take extra precautions knowing what's out there.
    Back to the original question, I'd avoid it for the reasons stated above. One thing that looks odd to me is the control cavity cover.

Doesn't reverb have a buyer protection policy similar to eBay?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  8. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing a post about this a while ago on here... the conclusion if I remember was that these were resellers that don't have the guitar in hand, they buy them once you buy it from them and send them off to you. The examples I've seen were guitars that were priced radically higher from the Japanese sellers but listed elsewhere for cheaper... I half suspected they would just buy it and make the actual seller ship to your address, so they would never even see the guitar.

9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I know a guy who bought an Ace Frehley LP new for a couple hundred off this site and he wasn't expecting much and was amazed at the quality. With that said, youre buying a counterfeit and there are penalties for getting caught including forfeiture of funds and possible fines. I thought of ordering one and have it made without USA stamp, serial number and headstock label, they will do custom orders, maybe even put my own last name on the headstock.