why valve amp?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by ruffdog64, Jul 18, 2008.

1. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Member

I`ve only recently started playing and bought a vox da5 amp and keep seeing valve amps being talked about, excuse my ignorance but i`m thinking valves as out dated technology the same as the old tv valve sets, can someone explain please ?

2. acdcrocker

acdcrocker Member

Theyre just better. Play one and youll see ;)

3. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

better dynamics, less digital, smoother response, just better overall.

4. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

try tubes..you wont go back!

5. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

I find at large volumes SS amps can sound pretty good too. I have a peavey renown that has great tone.

But one thing I've read about tube amps, is that they give off fake extra db's of volume, that ears pickup. That isn't really there. Which IMO gives them that extra omph, that SS amps lack. Tube amps also have allot more warmth and smoothness, in the tone that guitarists like. But tone is subjective, SS amps give a nice clean crisp tone that allot of Jazz players and other musicians like. But can sound kinda sterile at low volumes.

6. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

some prefer the way the overdriven sound of a valve/tube amp over the overdriven sound of a solid state amp. the dynamic of how the notes develop is different. classic rock and blues players typically will go for the tube amp while modern metal players will prefer the solid state

its up to the individual. tube amps are typically described as warmer sounding.

there is one line of thinking that follows that the clean tone of a solid state amp is better than many tube amps while the distortion is better on the tube.

then you have the hybrid amps which typically have a tube preamp and solidstate main amp... which in theory attempts to give you both worlds.

another thing that is different is you get more volume with fewer watts with tube amps. my fender hot rod deluxe, which is all tube and 40 watts of power is insanely loud. i had a transtube (hybrid) marshall 150 watt stack that could not compete with the fender at almost 4x the power. i sold the marshall.

7. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Member

Thanks for all the replies, i`ve no plans to play in public and mines just for home use would there be much point getting one?

8. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

there is just no substitute for tubes if you like that crunchy rock tone. People don't fully appreciate the diff till you hear them side by side. A vox or roland modeler is a good amp but can't sound like a good tube amp. Go to GC and try a few and you will see. I'd suggest trying a fender, vox and marshall real tube amp. One of those three will usually be what you were wanting.

9. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

oh yeah, valve amps are generally more money and do require some maintainence

10. WontGetFooled

WontGetFooled Member

[quote author=ruffdog64 link=topic=17430.msg216351#msg216351 date=1216393257]
    Thanks for all the replies, i`ve no plans to play in public and mines just for home use would there be much point getting one?
    [/quote]

Only if you like the tone. I didn't play a show until a year after I got my first tube amp, but the amp was invaluable during that period.

When your tone is great, you'll be inspired to play more and you'll feel better about your playing. Just like a great guitar, a great amp will help you take your playing to the next level.

11. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

[quote author=ruffdog64 link=topic=17430.msg216317#msg216317 date=1216359471]
    I`ve only recently started playing and bought a vox da5 amp and keep seeing valve amps being talked about, excuse my ignorance but i`m thinking valves as out dated technology the same as the old tv valve sets, can someone explain please ?
    [/quote]

That DA5 has like a 5" speaker....it sounds cool at low volume so is a great practice amp but has no bottom end. I know...I have one.
    I'm one of the old guard tube Nazis here but have been digging the heck outta my new Line6 Flextone III XL.
    I have a 89 Soldano SLO full stack for heavens sake but that is not a bedroom amp and neither is my tweed Champ 5f1.
    The Line6 is all transistor but has some pretty sophisticated modeling and reactive technology that does a good job of feeling and sounding like a tube amp. No warm up and no maintenance. Since it is a modeling amp, it can be tweaked to sound like any amp you want. My personal favorite is a $50,000.00 Dumble ODS....

12. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

One thing that kinda bugs me is the tube hype. That since an amp has tubes. It's a magical sounding amp. But in reality there's been a ton of awefull sounding tube amps that have been made. Especially lately where allot of manufactures have cut corners in quality. My own personal experience is when I bought a brand new Ampeg Superjet. I only had it for an hour when the output transformer blew. When I opened it up I was seriously shocked how cheaply it was made. The compositors where glued into the ciruitboard. All the wires had quick connects like computers do etc. Sure it was a tube amp, but compared to my oldschool peavey ss it was complete trash inside.
    After months and months of waiting for it to be repaired I made them refund my money.
    One of the best sounding SS amps I ever heard was the original line 6 Axsys. I really wish i could afford to get my hands on one

13. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

I agree there is too much hype about tube amps especialy "vintage reissues" sure some tube amps sound REALY REALY NICE but for every 1 there are 100 that suck (bout the same ratio as SS) I say play a few amps SS and Tube and find the one that works for you PERSONALY i fell in love with the VOX AD120VT (discuntuned!) but mostly use the AC30 setting (still wanting one!) its a Tube/SS Hybred. just try some out and see what fits your stile of playing

14. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=q-4000-SG Guy link=topic=17430.msg216452#msg216452 date=1216435174]
    (discuntuned!)
    [/quote]

did you say what i think you just said?? :?

15. ESSER

ESSER Active Member

I think he was right first time.

16. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

remember that good 'ol dime used solid states until right before his death. he used kranks then. he used randall warheads and randall centuries.

17. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Here is the answer to the question. Why tubes?

Preamp tubes while increasing the signal voltage from the guitars pickups before the signal goes to the power amp stage tend to compress the sound. This effect increases sustain and smooths out the sound.
    There are many different types of preamps with 1 to 7 or more tubes that can be in the signal chain. This is usually the soul of a tube amp as the preamp section shapes the sound of the guitar signal.

The power section is where the signal gets it volume and if overdriven, distortion occurs.
    The difference between tube and transistor distortion is that tubes when overdriven produce even order harmonic distortion which is very pleasing to the human ear. Transistor amps when overdriven produce odd order harmonic distortion which sounds buzzy to the human ear.

So if the transistor amp has a nice modeling system and preamp with lots of overhead in the power amp section so no distortion occurs there, you can get a pretty good simulated tube amp sound if there is reactive tube technology built into the preamp.

Since this level of sophistication is only recently available in transistor amp technology and to get one that is decent is still very expensive as a top end model. A Line6 FlextoneIII is an example of this. VOX is using a preamp tube coupled to the power amp section of a modeling amp to get a tube amp warmth. This is the AD30VT series.

18. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=WontGetFooled link=topic=17430.msg216441#msg216441 date=1216429679]
    When your tone is great, you'll be inspired to play more and you'll feel better about your playing. Just like a great guitar, a great amp will help you take your playing to the next level.
    [/quote]this is so true...i mean i already had a gigging tube amp, but with 100 watts, i couldnt really use it at home..then i got the 5 watt fender champion 600 for home...now i practice way more often because it sikes me up so much more to plug in when i hear the better tones than my SS amps...in the past 8 months, ive played 100% more than i used too, and gotten a lot better..that little amp was the best $200.00 i spent in years..

19. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

If you have to ask don't bother :-X ;D

20. Beatnik57

Beatnik57 Member

ruffdog - If you try a good tube amp and decide you do prefer it but don't have the dosh for it, consider a tube\SS hybrid like the Vox AD30VT ($240). If you do go for an all tube amp, they can be had for under $400, but you'd do better to spend at least a few hundred more so you could get one with a quality speaker, decent tubes, and decent construction.

One thing for sure - the better an amp sounds to you, the more you'll want to play and therefore you'll get better quicker.