Why?????????

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by AC 30, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

I've already expressed my aversion towards the min e tune device in another thread some time ago, but here I go again...

I think all you guys are right, whether you are pro or against the minetune, but I agree with eS.G. It's all a matter of skills that you've got to learn, practice and master.
    I think it also depends on how we look at the instrument: for some of us it's just a mere tool to have fun/make money with, for others (mlp guys mainly) it's a sexy looking piece of furniture and for some others it's something else.

i was once watching an interview with Steve Vai who said that the best thing that the guitar would give him, as a teenager playing in his bedroom, was the sense of achievement he'd get from learning a new song.

now, i see things that way too. I always measure my improvements and that fulfills me, but above all this, the guitar has taught me patience and how application and hard work pay in the end.

i guess I'm being too philosophical here, so I'd better stop. But to me, all these robot things are just new toys for tomorrow's rich teenagers.

tmjns796 likes this.
  2. Saintjonah

Saintjonah Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess I just don't see how a robo tuner thing stops you from learning new songs. I don't tune by ear. I never really have. I mean...I learned to tune with harmonics which is great in a pinch I guess, but it's not accurate and I don't think it's a necessary skill to learn in order to get fulfillment out of playing guitar. I agree they seem gimmicky and overall useless TO ME, but I'm not everyone. I just don't think that using one somehow degrades a player or hinders their development. Tuning isn't really much of a skill. I don't get where that notion has come from. I don't think anyone is using these because they're "lazy" or "undisciplined". Tuning isn't difficult or challenging OR rewarding.

Does this thing play the guitar for you? Is that the point I'm missing?

bwotw and Biddlin like this.
  3. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I believe the Min-e-tune is attached to the tuners, not the wood, so is easy to take off without damaging anything. I'm pretty sure I watched a video of someone taking one off and putting it back on. Not really adding anything to the debate about tuning, just wanted to put that here :)

Saintjonah likes this.
  4. Saintjonah

Hey, a useful reply! Get out of here with that nonsense :run:

eS.G. likes this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Yes....I just wanted to rant.....I warned you ahead of time.....you didn't have to read it, or take it seriously. :)

Saintjonah likes this.
  6. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

the minetune certainly doesn't play for you, but, IMHO, it DOES hinder one's skills, because I think that being able to tune the instrument is the very first step a player has to learn.

that said, I only tune by hear when I play at home or sometimes at reharsals, but I'd never tune by ear at a gig. I think it is important though, as it develops your ear. How would you know that a particular song is in G (if you don't know the chords) if you can't even tune your guitar?

7. Saintjonah

That's fair. I'm in a bit of a mood today. Work has broken my spirit and guitars are the only that can bring me back from the edge :dude:

It's all in good fun.

eS.G. likes this.
  8. Saintjonah

Eh, I hear where you're coming from. I just figure by the time a beginner is working out the key a song is in he's probably figured out what a G sounds like. Robo tuner or no.

Biddlin likes this.
  9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Ach, der sturm und drang

" ...It's all a matter of skills that you've got to learn, practice and master..."
    Get real. I haven't changed an automobile tyre in a couple of decades, but I still remember how and I do keep a good "doughnut" spare and jack in the boot, just in case.
    As a refresher for any who have already forgotten:
    "Turning the knob counterclockwise raises the pitch of the string., clockwise lowers it. "
    Should be quickly learned, no?:laugh2:

"i guess I'm being too philosophical here, so I'd better stop..."
    Mssr.s Satre and Voltaire remain un-threatened.:laugh2:

A few facts for the open minded.
    1. ETune tuners are the only dual-mode tuners in the world. They work in manual mode (just like standard tuners), or in automatic mode (which can tune strings automatically).
    2. The ETune battery typically does 80 tunings on a single charge.
    3. You can tune your guitar manually if the battery loses its charge or the electronics stop working.
    4. ETune can be removed and replaced with standard tuners (although once you get used to ETune, you won’t want to be without it).
    5. ETune does not use the same technology as the original Robot guitar, but fourth-generation technology that is smaller, faster, and more reliable.
    6. ETune is "smart" and learns the particulars of your guitar. Tuning speed increases significantly after several dozen tunings.
    7. The best ear training is hearing the exact pitch each time you play, or so behavioural science would have us believe.
    8. The less time beginners spend twisting 14 to 1 ratio tuners, trying to find the right pitch, the more they will spend playing at and hearing the right pitch and intervals.

I agree that Gibson should have made the Min E-tune an option.
    On the other hand, in the twenty-first century, a couple of hundred bucks isn't really that much money(I don't need Sirius XM radio in my car, and I mentioned it to the Chrysler dealer but I do dig listening to "ozzie's boneyard" while standing in rush hour traffic, so I pay my subscription and rock on! ) and if you are as stridently against automation and as patient as you say, the 40 to 1 ratio e-tuners make it very easy to find the right spot and stay there!

For those still too distraught to accept these tuners, PM me, I might make you a deal we'd both be happy with.
    ;>)/

Saintjonah likes this.
  10. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    You missed the important point. If you go to the shops trying to buy an Etune (Tronical), you will come home with a banjo. I think there is a law.

smitty_p and Biddlin like this.
  11. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't expect this amount of posts. I certainly am glad to hear they are removable for those who don't won't them but are looking at new SG's. Optional is a relative term in this case I guess if they are removable and standard tuners can be fitted with no trace.
    I'm not against progress and moving forward but it is interesting that the most sought after and purchased world wide are designs that have been around over 50 years. The SG being one of them - If it ain't broke don't fix it. It's a phenominal design that has worn well over the years in many different types of music.
    Anyone who wants the Min-etune I say go for it and be happy ....but I'll tune my guitar myself even if I use a tuner at gigs.
    ...Now back to which SG am I drooling over this week......

12. Saintjonah

perhaps they need to put out an SG traditional?

smitty_p likes this.
  13. Biddlin

"I'm not against progress and moving forward but it is interesting that the most sought after and purchased world wide are designs that have been around over 50 years. The SG being one of them - If it ain't broke don't fix it. It's a phenominal design that has worn well over the years in many different types of music."
    So it is simply the electronics, to which you object, because the tuners work the same way as always, only with three times greater precision.

Saintjonah likes this.
  14. Maxod

Maxod Member

I think the issue is why pay the extra $$ for an option that some people don't need but want a new model guitar. The cost difference between a 2014 SGJ and a SGM is $250 due to the ETune included with the SGM. I believe the SGJ is identical to a SGM minus the Etune.

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

You will find I tend to rant uncontrollably about things that don't really matter........and I don't take much (other than taxes) very seriously

But I do loves me some SGJ :applause: Hoping the tax man is kind during our meeting next week and I can snag me one soon.:dude:

Saintjonah likes this.
  16. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

I don't object at all to the workings or precision I just don't want them or would not like the look of the system on one of my SG's. I'm all for who ever is keen on them..My initial point was they should be an option.
    Just my opinion.

smitty_p likes this.
  17. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Min ETune refuseniks may soon create a cottage industry on Ebay, and everyone will be happy. I'd like to buy a unit and play around with it, but not for the $300 retail for a new Tronical model. Gibby buyers who don't want them should be able to get some good money for them -- at least enough to cover some Grovers and a decent dinner out.

18. Biddlin

Again:
    If you have an SG, with Min E-tune, that you want replaced with Gibson Deluxe or Kluson Rotomatic tuners, PM and I will make you a deal.
    I frankly can't get a bid in fast enough it seems, to snag a set on Ebay.
    Offer good to contiguous USA members, only. Sorry.

Saintjonah likes this.
  19. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

In case anyone cares, or doesn't care, or if it matters, or it doesn't matter,
    the Min-ETune doesn't stop anyone from tuning manually.

Saintjonah and Biddlin like this.
  20. likea45

likea45 Well-Known Member

Ever been in the room with someone who couldn't tune their guitar? Like you are giving them a D or an A note and they just keep turning the knob too far and it drives you nuts? These people usually in my experience are also sloppy not very adept players. Playing music almost my whole life I've had numerous tryouts for guitarists and bassists through the years and I can say that someone who can't hear a note to tune to has never been a good player.

I don't think this link is coincidental.

Dadou and smitty_p like this.