windows programs in linux?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by walter19882003, Aug 13, 2007.

1. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

ive just found this great program its called wine, and it lets you run windows programs within Linux

does this mean that linux will out do windows, making it more compatible than windows

hope so, linux is soo much more usable and less system resource Dependant than windows making it seem quicker

it aint no lie, here it is

for all you guitarist :D

[​IMG]

2. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    Is linux very hard to figure out??

3. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

no ubuntu aint...jus put it in change boot sequence to cd-rom and install from the live cd

4. nvosmeier

nvosmeier New Member

Wine has been around a long time. It has always come free with products like FreeBSD etc.

It does run many windows applications, but somewhat limited in compatibility.

5. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

its very limited just like the Mac/windows programs you CAN run SOME programs but alot of the functions are disabled easyer to use 2 systems if you want to run Linux and windows or you can partition your hard drive and use both on one machine I know with Xandros you can install it on a windows computer and it will let you choose which to run at boot up thats the way im running besides why would you want to run windows programs on Linux when most of the programs for Linux are better than the windows version and most are free! (openoffice is way better than MS office and it can run on both and is 100% FREE)

6. Red devil

Red devil Member

Is it possible to run linux in windows?

That way ii could decide if i like it?

7. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

8. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

yes you can run linux in windows, you just use virtual box its like a virtual computer

and its also installable on linux too

i think you can run it on MAC's too so the possabilities are endless

need a fast computer though :)

9. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=walter19882003 link=topic=14640.msg200235#msg200235 date=1195909232]
    yes you can run linux in windows, you just use virtual box its like a virtual computer

and its also installable on linux too

i think you can run it on MAC's too so the possabilities are endless

need a fast computer though :)
    [/quote]

can yes but wouldnt because of the system resources windows needs is HUGE if you have about 4GB memory you should be ok

10. Red devil

Red devil Member

How is linux better than windows?

(I know it's better if you're a hacker : ) )

11. tpa

tpa Active Member

One way to try linux is to use one of the live CD's available from several distributions. One of them is: http://www.pclinuxos.com. Some kind of overview of the distributions etc. is maintained by http://distrowatch.com.

Boot from the CD and answer a few questions and you have a reasonably complete desktop running from the CD. As information and warning: It is possible to access files on a windows drive in the computer.

Starting programs etc. from CD is slower than with an installed linux, but it works for getting the idea of working in a linux environment. Pro and cons probably compares to a Mac:
    Pro: more rugged base system, many possibilities relevant for servers and system administration, its free and open, Reasonable amount of software available (nowadays)
    Con: Not all browser plugins are supported since some webpage writers seem to lean on proprietary kinds of solutions, especially MS or Mac applications, support from e.g. ISPs are typically based on MS and sometimes Mac. Even there they are not invaluable.

Last 5-10 years have been a good and the distributions have matured well. Sooner or later, however, free software will die or be commercially polluted like it happened to Adobe PDF and the Macromedia flashplayer. Nothing is static.

12. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=Red devil link=topic=14640.msg200266#msg200266 date=1195932404]
    How is linux better than windows?

(I know it's better if you're a hacker : ) )
    [/quote]uses less system resources=makes your computer faster i have an old P2 with 512mb ram computer running linux and it is ALLOT faster than my CoreDuo PC with 2GB ram running Vista.

13. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

it depends on what version of windows your running and specs like if you run DSL (damn small linux) and windows 95 on a crap 256 500 MHZ computer at the same time it should run fine :) depends on what you run

14. Red devil

Red devil Member

Hmmmmm.......

I like faster : )

So i could play games faster too?

15. Red devil

Red devil Member

Well this weekend I set up a dual boot on my laptop with Vista and Ubuntu 7.10 "Gustsy Gibbon" (Strange names : ))

I am liking it more and more! Firefox is definitely faster in Ubuntu than Vista and the 3d cube is pretty cool too. I wouldn't say it's more confusiing than windows, just a lot different so it's like learning from the start again. I am only keeping vista for compatibility reasons (Games, recording software etc.)

I am very impressed by the RAM usage too. I have 2.5 GB of ram and vista stays pretty much constant at AT LEAST 50% of it.
    Ubuntu however uses about 3-10%... huge gap!

It is however harder for me to figure out how to download programs from firefox and install them just because of the lack of do-it-all exe. files. That said getting apps, uninstalling them and updating is a lot easier when you can find them in Add/remove programs. All in all, I think that it is definitely a great OS even though we still live in a windows world.

Tux isn't just for nerds!!! Get it!!!

16. batwing SG

batwing SG Member

The next ubuntu release will probably can be installed on windows. (like a normal program).

Hope this helps

17. Red devil

Red devil Member

Really?

I don't know if that would be good... 2 OS' would be kind of slow

18. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

depends if you run them at same time, windows vista and mac osx10 would defiantly slow down a pc, but however windows xp and say a Linux machine wouldn't be as bad.

depends on the performance of your computer, the real issue is the amount of ram installed

19. Red devil

Red devil Member

could you do this in windows anyways with virtualbox or whatever it's called

20. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

its virtual box but you need a pretty powerful computer to use it, depends on the operating system you know

dsl is a great small os that runs on virtually anything lol