Wireless Options

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by peterbright, Jan 10, 2007.

1. peterbright

peterbright Active Member

I hate cords. I want to go wireless but have no clue of what is decent or what to pay. Any suggestions in various cost categories would be appreciated.

2. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

Sure. Depending on what you need it for. Wireless systems start at $100.00 (anything less than that is a toy). You can get a digital reference VHF system for $100.00 .. The same system in UHF freq. is $200.00-$250.00 (there is a newer model out but im sure it will go back to $200.00 soon).. The UHF systems provide much less interference and have 8 channels to change to if you ever do get static (with the $100 system if you get any kind of static you need to move to a new location.. )

If you need to rely on a wireless system for stage use I would definitly go higher-end. There is a digital reference system called the DR-3500 (or 3600.. one of those is the mic system. i forget) this is a true diversity system that has a metal chasis for the receiver and a digital screen that displays the channels n stuff. This system is $299.00. (good to note that this system comes with a rack adapter so you can put it in a rack system (a $35.00 special order upgrade for all other systems)

then you get into the Shure and Sennheiser wireless systems which go into the $350-$450 price range... You dont really get any higher quality, just more features (compare it to a normal car vs. a luxury car.. the luxury car has more features and gadgets inside but they both accomplish the same thing. they both go fwd and backward quickly. heh). The Sennheiser systems actually detect when you are losing signal and automatically changes channels for you.

thats the long and short of it... Now Shure and Sennheiser have lower priced systems but I dont know much about them.. When it comes down to it I will never go wireless.. To get a wireless system that sounds as good as a guitar plugged in with a Mogami cable you need to spend over $800.00. Not saying the nicer wireless systems wont hurt your sound, they just dont make it any better like the high end Mogami and Evedence Audio and George L's do.

any other questions just ask :)

3. peterbright

Any word on the AKG Guitarbug? I like the idea of no body pack.

4. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

Yeah... People come into my store and ask for em. 70% of the time they return it. They say it doesnt function properly. Id stay away.. Im sure there are high-end systems with that kind of construction. I think Samson might make one but I havnt tried it.

5. peterbright

Can you try these out at a GC before buying one?

6. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

[quote author=Ry-Guy link=topic=11954.msg155616#msg155616 date=1168454236]
    Sure. Depending on what you need it for. Wireless systems start at $100.00 (anything less than that is a toy).
    [/quote]
    I disagree. I bought this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-1001-MK2-Instrument-System?sku=277062
    from musiciansfriend(well amazon actually but they got it through MF.) it works perfectly. I didnt notice any difference between it and my cables. Im not saying that the ones Ry-Guy suggested arent good, its just that if you dont preform often or if this is just for conveinience, then Id leave that as an option because those wireless's can get pricy.

7. peterbright

It's for the office so I don't have have cables lying around etc. If tone isn't 100%, people don't throw produce at me.

8. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

then mine sounds like a good option. I dont know how much you intend to spend but i think you could get away with it. ive never had produce thrown at me for mine...

9. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

Never used that one before. Problem I see is that it is VHF (meaning that radio signal could cause interference) and it looks to only have one channel. So say you buy one to only use in your office and it just so happens to be a problematic spot for a VHF system then your purchase is worth $0 .. Of course there is always a 30 day return policy for issues like that ;D

10. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Yeah, I got no business here.

I'm a stone tablet and chisel kinda guy. With a good quality cord there's nothing to go wrong aside from me stepping on it.

And batteries are just one more hassle I don't need.

The band I play with now and then, one guitarist and the bass guy are always wireless.
    The other guitarist gives them crap to no end because of all the little gremlins that seem to pop up.

Hell I don't even like cordless phones. ;D

Neo

11. Shaulin

Shaulin Member

Stupid question, but how do I use a wireless system with a pedalboard?

12. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

Simple. You go out from the receiver into the first pedal in your chain.

13. peterbright

From reading reviews etc, it appears that pedalboards can be a vexing problem when using wireless. Far fewer problems if you are not using a pedalboard.

14. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

I use a pedalboard with it. no problems for me. actually, my cheapo danelectro fab pedal has picked up radie signals while i was using leads!

15. Ry-Guy

Ry-Guy Member

I cant see how there can be any added variables when it comes to plugging the signal to an amp or a pedalboard. As long as your pedalboard is working and all the cables work... ? ?

16. peterbright

Just reporting other's comments. It wasn't explained so I don't know what their real issues were.

17. peterbright

Still have no clue about which system to get so I will probably wait until I think I can get a great buyon one.