wiring harness

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by RobertD, May 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Let's read the claim.
    "This 920D Custom product uses non-inductive mylar and oil caps. They use oil soaked mylar as di-electric material that produces an impressively smooth, natural sound. Dialing in these caps will greatly warm up your tone and cut back on the overly bright, ear-piercing frequencies." Snake oil and utter bollocks. Sorry, but any seller who says things like that is a shyster. Don't encourage them by giving them money; you are doing nobody any favours.

Von Trapp likes this.
  3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I actually laughed out loud when I read that text, fcking priceless.

4. Von Trapp

You missed this part:" A 920D Custom SG Wiring Harness is built to easily drop into your guitar and totally transform your tone. With genuine paper in oil capacitors your guitar will have the classic sound of a vintage SG. This wiring scheme provides a tight, transparent tone. Unlike modern wiring schemes, it features a reduced treble cut when rolling back the volume control. The highs seem to be clearer, especially with the volume pot rolled back. This harness effectively gives you a treble bleed kit function on each volume pot without adding the extra caps and resistors. If you are looking to clean up your tone and let your pickups sing through, then the SG50-PIO is for you." I sometimes wish I had no conscience, could have made millions selling crap to men (guitars and parts) and women (handbags and shoes) alike.

5. donepearce

I missed that bit. I think my eyes must have glazed over. But you've missed the biggest con of them all - Swarovski Crystal; bits of moulded glass.

6. Von Trapp

I think you're immune, wish I was too...

donepearce likes this.
  7. RW59

RW59 Member

Yes, the capacitors are filled with snake oil.

My dad had drawers/bins full of caps so I tried just about every type for free. I'm perfectly happy with ceramic and wouldn't personally buy fancy caps.
    ----------------------
    However, the bit about '50s wiring changing the way the volume and tone pots interact when you turn them down, giving clearer tone without the need for treble bleeds, that's a real thing.

(It's typically called '50s or vintage wiring, though Gibson used it in the '60s too.)

I would hope that if I needed a tech to wire my guitar, he'd know what I meant if I asked for '50s wiring.

donepearce likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

PIO = Placebo In Oil

9. papagayo

920D Custom Harness is high quality, price is US$ 100

10. donepearce

So that's $30 for the pretty sheet of acrylic that you are going to throw away. Get all the same parts as a kit from Stewmac for $70, or even cheaper if you shop around and buy them individually.

11. papagayo

Of course .....

12. Clarence001

Clarence001 New Member

If you are going to DIY, practice A LOT with old parts, wires, etc. It's also much different soldering in the cavity than out. Be sure you have a third and fourth hand as well. I've done a decent amount of soldering but on larger, more open items. This one I managed to botch and ended up going with a tech. For peace of mind for me it was worth the money rather than dig a deeper hole. Should have went with the pros in the first place but had to try.