Wiring on exclusive Pelham Blue SG- PCB or hand wired?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by divebomb, May 27, 2019.

1. divebomb

divebomb New Member

As many of you know over the last few years a Pelham Blue SG Standard has been available through zzounds and AMS (and maybe others as well). Some of the hardware specs changed here and there between '17 - '19 such as pickups and knobs, but does anyone know if the current batch use Gibson's PCB board for wiring, or are they are hand wired?

This is the current one:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSGSA19

Thanks

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I noticed in the specs it lists the knobs as Black Top Hats with Silver Insert, yet the photo does not show silver insert. I would be more concerned about that than whether or not it has a PCB.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

That's a leftover 2018, so that would have the Quick Connect circuit board. AFAIK, that model was discontinued so there are no 2019s.

But if you're deciding a purchase on that, no offense but I think that would be silly.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that black top hats with silver inserts make your balls shrink. I would be more concerned whether or not it neck dives.

But back to the op’s question... no clue... I still haven’t taken the cover off my 2017

papagayo and Biddlin like this.
  5. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

PCB v. hand wiring: It's a bit like Schrödinger's cat - could be either until you take the cover off. :)

6. cerebral gasket

I could not care less about the knobs and was being facetious.

Using the contents of the control cavity as a deciding factor for purchase is irrelevant IMO. If one has issues with it, simply change it out or have someone else do it if not so inclined to do so.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  7. divebomb

divebomb New Member

Thanks guys. Two minor points-

-zzounds had separate URLs for the 2017s, 2018s, and now this model. And I mean specifically for the Pelham Blue SG. I suspect that although all three years are nearly identical that Gibson considers them 3 separate runs.
    -It's not a showstopper from purchasing it, just pure technical curiosity.

8. PermissionToLand

They are three unique models across two years. The Pelham Blue is more expensive, so that can't have the same page, and the 17/18 have different prices, pickups and color options.

9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

You are the facetious one, I’m the sarcastic one....

[​IMG]

10. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Your ears can't tell the difference between PCB and PTP, so don't let it influence your decision to buy one. I have the '17 and it's one of my favorite guitars, flawless in every way. It has the PCB (and it's the only guitar I own that does) and I could not care less.

11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

What' s wrong with the PCB ?

Volume/tone controls is a very simple preamplifier circuit, the simplest.

12. cerebral gasket

The volume controls are Voltage Dividers and the tone controls are Low Pass Filters. There is no preamplifier circuit on a guitar with passive pickups.

Resistance is futile.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Daniel.S and papagayo like this.
  13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

If you really need a new wiring harness DIY :smile:

Joncaster and cerebral gasket like this.
  14. cerebral gasket

The only time I feel the need to replace a wire harness is when I purchase a second hand guitar and discover that someone had butchered it.

[​IMG]

papagayo and PermissionToLand like this.
  15. poppunk

poppunk Member

Yeah, he was off on the preamp statement but I do agree with him on the PCB thing; if you are worried about the sound between something that is on a PCB versus something that is hand wired, I think you're doing it wrong.

If anything, there's less room for dumb things to happen with PCBs because the board spinning and soldering process are a lot less prone to error than people hand soldering stuff in component to component.

But if you're annoyed that it's not so easy to modify the setup they have, I get that. I rarely screw around in control cavities on guitars unless I'm changing the control configuration, or repairing something. But I know people want to change cutoff frequencies, tighten up tolerances, and change taper types and such on their controls. The PCBs aren't conducive for that.

Having an electrical engineering degree and playing guitar sometimes clash for me. Guitarists often use a lot of terminology that is either really wrong or are misnomers. The electrical parts in all guitars are often referred to as "electronics" but that's not correct. "Electronic" is used when active components (things that are powered) are being discussed. Passive components, like those of most guitars, are simply electric. It would be kind of weird to say "electrics" so we'd probably say "electric components" or something that, but that doesn't sound very guitar-y. And if you have EMGs, you have electronics, and so it probably just gets confusing. So I don't like it and just have to suck it up.

16. Colnago

Colnago Active Member

I have the '18 version and mine has the PCB setup.
    Definitely one of my coolest guitars in an awesome colour. Plays great.

papagayo likes this.
  17. PermissionToLand

Nice work, very clean and orderly!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  18. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

I am a bit late to the party, but I'll answer anyway:
    I just got a 2019 model. It apparently has the same specs as the normal 2018 Standards and it comes with a PCB. I am not gonna change anything on the guitar any time soon. But if I ever change the pickups and although I like soldering, the quick connect system might come in handy. I like it!

Bettyboo likes this.
  19. Daphne Gruntfuttock

Daphne Gruntfuttock Active Member

My 2019 P90 SG Special has old fashioned electronicals, hand wired by highly trained smooth skinned, pert bottomed gamines.

Bettyboo likes this.
  20. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

My PB Special left the factory in July '19. I bought it in September. It has traditional wiring and orange drop caps. It came with the black top hats. I replace those with reflector knobs asap.