Wiring PUPs "out of phase"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alex_SG, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some GFS 90s to go into my G400...:naughty:

2. Alex_SG

I have been a "little" disappointed with the out-of-phase" mod I did the other week. Mainly that the bridge pup seems to have cut its output by about 30%. I was having a look through this thread to see if I'd messed up, then I saw JohnP's post about switching the wires around on the volume pot.
    So I did... It's still "out of phase" and the pup output is back to normal.
    OK, it is now out of phase permanently, but to be honest, I LIKE IT!
    (Just need to earth the pup cover to stop the buzzing sound, but that's not a big hassle... Got plenty of time to do that!)

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Geez, these guitars both get us into and keep us out of all kinds of trouble !

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Honestly I have never been impressed enough with all those weird wiring in/out of phase sort of thing since I had a luthier buddy in the 70's that experimented with any and every wiring option that came along.

Although there are a lot of tones available with exotic switching, most of them I can't use on a gig.

So I can understand your feeling, although I'm glad the mod worked for you.

So I have never bothered since, the standard pickup options work fine for me.

5. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I know Alex wants to be able to switch in and out of phase but I believe Robbie's was permanently out of phase with both pickups on right? Or was he able to switch like you guys are wiring things up? I believe Greenies was a permanent out of phase. I know I sure would like to be able to switch it back. I would feel denied one of life's simple pleasures if I couldn't use both pups in phase on an SG and making that baby vocalize like they are able in that position.

As a personal point of interest, The most notable vocalizing guitar in this position that I have happens to be one with 2 mini humbuckers. Those mini hums really feel like they are trying to talk to ya when they interact together, in phase. Dave??? Mini hum in a most notable useful mention??

JohnP likes this.
  6. JohnP

JohnP Member

You might have had a cold solder joint. I installed a DiMarzio Push Pull pot. It works excellent, but it can be difficult to solder the ground to it, as the surface is glossy, almost oily. When soldering new pots, I first use sandpaper on the surface where the ground is to be soldered. If one heats up the casing too long, the pot could be damaged….
    Anyway, it’s very easy just to swap the wire polarity at the volume pot. And it’s a fully reversible mod.

7. JohnP

JohnP Member

I’m coming from the same direction. In most cases I don’t make changes to my guitars other than minor modifications. I like them the way they are, which is why I got them in the first place. And in general I would advise people not to compromise the original state of an old or otherwise expensive guitar.

I was never an LP guy, maybe I never met the right LP. But I couldn’t resist buying this Epi, because compared to a Gibson, I felt they almost gave it away for free. It played fine and was good looking. Excellent value. I gave it some time and learned to appreciate that it feels like a rigid one-piece. But it didn’t have the tone. So, just when I’m thinking about replacing the pickups, I learn how the LP legends wired their PUs out of phase. For me, this is new territory and I’m on to something. Secrets are revealed and I envisage a new commitment on the horizon….

I echo what smitty said - It’s really useful to have a project guitar that can be used to try out modifications. Since it is nowhere close to collectible, it makes a good R&D platform.

dbb likes this.
  8. Alex_SG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  9. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

10. Alex_SG

As far as I'm aware, the pickups were wired accidentally out of phase. I'm sure being PAFs they'd have the shielded cover on the outside of the wires, and I doubt that would be wired directly to positive on the pots. I'd say the most likely scenario is that where the leads join the coils, that the wires were accidentally reversed. Who knows how many other sets of pickups were wired this way? Perhaps Peter Green's were from the same manufacturing run also???:dunno:
    Whatever the situation, they rock regardless!!!:dude:

11. Alex_SG

So Smitty... Did you get the bits and do the mod yet??? We wanna know!!!

12. Alex_SG

Anyway, after a week or so of this OOPs business, I was getting a little disillusioned with the constant buzz. I've now changed out the push-pull and wired my guitar up in the '50s Gibson style. I can't believe the clarity of the pickups! With the standard Epi wiring, my aftermarket PAF style pickups were still muddy. With the OOP mod, they were a little livelier. Now with the '50s wiring job, they have come alive!

Biddlin likes this.
  13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

:hmm: With all the practice you now must have soldering, maybe I should be sending my electrical work down to you .:laugh2:

14. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

No. Not, yet. Actually, a friend of mine gave me a set of Seymour Duncan '59s. But, they are not four-wire pickups. They are the typical single-conductor wire with braided-shield setup. I do have the brand-new push-pull pot, though.

15. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Yup, the '50s wiring is a great mod.