Would this be a good alternative to a SG classic?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mm200024, Jul 20, 2010.

1. mm200024

mm200024 Member

I'm really interested in getting a SG with P90 pickups. That said the Gibson SG Classic is a bit out of my price range at the moment. I've heard good things about Agile guitars and while this doesn't really look like an SG, it is similarly shaped with the same wood, so I assume it would be an acceptable alternative. What do you all think and is there some better SGish with P90 alternative?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1329.html

2. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Agiles are more of a higher quality alternative to Epiphones. Although I don't think they compare with Gibsons.

3. mm200024

mm200024 Member

I don't think it will compare to a Gibson either. I just want a decent mahogany guitar with P90 pickups under $500.

4. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator Member

Have you checked out Epiphones? The Korean made Epis are high quality instruments.

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I'd just throw out that imho, no low priced P90 will have the tone of a gibson P90. I tried several of them in hopes I found one that did but they all fell way short of the tone of the Gibson P90s. I don't know exactly why that is but for some reason the Gibson P90s just plain sound the best to me.

Now saying that, I do think the epiphone set neck guitars are great values for their price range. I'd say get one of those and swap in some real gibson P90s and you'd have a solid guitar on a budget. If you can pay a bit more, consider picking up a used SG classic. That would hold its value better than upgrading an epiphone and you just can't beat the gibson SG classic with those P90s... one of the best Gibson values imho.

6. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

7. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I bought a Gibson Faded Special used off of craigslist for $400. Then I dropped a pair of GFS "Mean" 90 pickups in ($40 each) and ended up with a guitar that sounds almost* exactly like my Classic for under $500.

*I say "almost" because the GFS pickups don't hum in the middle position the way the Gibson ones do. ;)
    [​IMG]

8. mm200024

mm200024 Member

That's a great idea, Kevy. Thanks.

9. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

I played one and hated it. It did nothing for me. I didn't think it sounded great either. If you don't find one like Kevy has or like I have Every once in a while I see one of those Univox LP Jr. copies come around. Those are really nice.

10. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I came to this very site with vintage SG Junior/Special and P 90 fever. It was here that I learned about the Classic. I explored the possibilities of purchasing knock offs from Italy and France. In the end, I took a few months to specifically save up and buy an SG Classic. I found one last November for $699 with a hard shell case. I have not been disappointed in any way. The Classic is an incredible value with "real" P 90's and just great workmanship, better than I expected.

I have owned several Gibsons over the years and I expected to wrestle with set up and tuning issues for months. The Classic I bought was the best set up and best playing guitar I have owned.

Save your pennies. It will be worth it.

11. mm200024

mm200024 Member

I know you're right, mdubya. I hate waiting... but I probably will.

12. Soni

Soni New Member

13. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Actually, there was a thread on here about Custom77 guitars and the owner even posted in the thread and answered some questions as I recall. They look like nice guitars.

14. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

I think Custom 77's Les Pauls are actually an improvement looks wise. The horn is a bit sharper more like an ES175. I would love one of the P90 models.