Would you guys be satisfied with this light of a fretboard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by RWMusic, Jul 5, 2020.

1. RWMusic

RWMusic New Member

Recently got my hands on a 2006 61' Reissue. I bought it because it played and sounded great, and I got a really good deal on it. Much less then they normally go for.

Anyways one thing that has bothered me since I got it has been the fretboard. I just feel it is too light.

I prefer darker rosewood, and just can't help but feel that the guitar looks like some cheap import or epiphone.

When I see people playing SG's on youtube, or pictures on the forums, it's always much darker.

I have tried applying F-One oil, and while it did darken it slightly, it faded after a few days.

here is before applying the oil:

[​IMG]

Here is after:

[​IMG]

Here is a picture I took after a few days:

[​IMG]

2. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

I really like the dark body. It seems like a lot of the SGs for the last few years including my 2019 standard 61 are really a lighter shade of red. That kinda bothers me the way the lighter fret board bothers you. Funny how we obsess over the details. For me, the 61 reissue like you have here is more legit because the crown is in the proper position on the head stock as opposed to the 61 standard that has the crown in the same position as all the ‘regular’ standards. This is what happens the more you learn about these details, lol. The bottom line is if it plays great, feels great, don’t let it slip away. As far as the sound, that’s all wiring and pick ups, which are easily replaced. Feel and playability are king. But I know what you mean, you have an idea in your head of what your ideal SG looks like. Personally, if this thing plays well I’d just rock the **** out of it.

3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

I quite like that colour. I suspect it will darken with time, though.

4. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

Get some Fret Doctor, it’ll darken that board right up.

cerebral gasket and flognoth like this.
  5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I like the Bordeaux finish of the body, this dark red is awesome

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Normally I'd say no, I wouldn't be satisfied because I love the look of dark rosewood fretboards; my black 2016 SG Standard is about as light as I like 'em and it could almost be ebony.... Looks great with the MoP inlays too.
    [​IMG]

But I actually do like the lighter fretboards against cherry bodies and cream binding. Somehow that works for me, but yes, I get why you'd like it darker.

7. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Member

I would not be satisfied with that bridge. The fretboard has noting wrong.

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with the fretboard on that SG.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  9. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

What’s wrong with the bridge? Looks fine from pics...

koaguilds likes this.
  10. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

Looks great. Some Gorgomyte would darken that a bit but I like it as is. I like seeing lighter shades, gradations on my boards. IMG_2681.jpg

Steve D and PermissionToLand like this.
  11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

It's bloody awful. An abomination to the almighty. You should send it to me for disposal immediately
    Key riced, are you kidding? Play the damned thing and it'll dirty up to your standards in no time.

SatansGwitar likes this.
  12. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I don't really care what a guitar looks like as long as the playability and tone are there. I think that guitar looks beautiful.

13. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

Nah it's a beautiful guitar , would not bother me at all.

14. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

It would bother me more if I found a guitar that bothered me but still got it...

15. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

There are a few solutions to your "problem."

1. Darken it with oils. When it re-lightens, oil it up again.

2. Buy a Gretsch White Falcon with an ebony fretboard and buy a Fender Telecaster with a maple fretboard. You will then love your light fretboard SG because it provides a nice variety when placed next to your other guitars.

3. Learn to love it. There is nothing at all wrong with it. We are all different shades. I do not love my older brother John more than my younger brother Rich simply because John has a better tan. Quit being hung up on the hue of your fretboard. Exactly what shade on the darkness scale is precisely what you would like? You are being overly obsessive. In actuality, the fretboard is quite nice.

16. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

I think it looks great!

17. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Not bad at all. You can dye it. Stew Mac has a step by step way to turn just about anything into ebony.

You could do the same with dark brown powdered pigment in a liquid solution.

Or....I’ve found that Howard butcher block conditioner will make any rosewood/Ebony etc fretboard significantly darker than lemon oil and it lasts forever and doesn’t get gunky

But your guitar looks good as is to me.

18. fishlog

fishlog New Member

Maybe it was just really dry? Apply a second application of that oil if it looks dry.

I just bought a guitar and it came to me with a pretty dry fret board. What I did was or do every time really is apply the oil, rub it in a little gently just using my finger, then I let it sit for about an hour. I have no idea if this is the proper way or wrong way but it’s what I do with pretty good results.

19. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

That'a a really nice guitar you got. It's even got the new and improved bridge!;)

20. RWMusic

RWMusic New Member

Took this pic today. Something about the dark cherry, brown and cream binding is growing on me. Looks more "antique" if that makes sense.

[​IMG]