Would you guys be satisfied with this light of a fretboard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by RWMusic, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

This is 30 year old Brazilian rosewood. It's not that nearly-ebony-black you see with lots of brazilian rosewood and after 30 years I suspect it isn't going to darken up any more with age. But I love it more than if it were a deep inky black. Wood is not a uniform thing, even a lot of ebony these days isn't uniformly black. There's always richlite if you want that but wood is beautiful and woth appreciating for what it is, in my opinion.

That said, there are some boards, especially on the 2018/2019 Gibsons and a lot of imports, that looked washed out, like they were bleached almost. Those I don't care for. But the one in the OPs pictures looks fantastic, especially with that rich darker red and the cream binding. Fantastic looking guitar overall.

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand likes this.
  2. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Member

If you have money and you're able to play a Gibson maybe you're safe but if you play Epiphone you'll have a problem. Anyway a normal TOM vs a wrap around is way higher. Pictures you've posted shows this clearly. I don't know about vibration transfer. Many people talks about a better vibration transfer with a low tailpiece. This is the reason why they prefer an aluminum tailpiece. Anyway I suggest you to stay with your 50+ years experienced convictions. You are doing it right being so aggressive.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Don't pull that crap, I've worked all my life and earned every cent. You can keep your proletarian nose up there in the stink zone or learn something. A lot of people talk a lot of stuff, that doesn't indicate any real knowledge, just verbal diarrhea.

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I think what irks so many people, and what also is the root of so much internet woodoo, is that many people like to make categorical statements based on their personal experiences. Personally, I much prefer button type flies but just because my balls got caught in a zipper fly once don't mean I won't hesitate to say that button flies are the best or that zipper flies catch balls, because would be quite unfair to the fine people manufacturing them. Both flies do the same job admirably. To say that in my experience, even though that might be stretching it because it only happened once and I was drunk, zipper flies catch balls would be a more fair statement since it makes clear that this is just my experience and not an indisputable fact.

Whilst on the subject, I have a couple of Epiphones that are between 10 and 20 years old and to me personally nothing has ever happened with the studs, or anything else for that matter, well, actually the stupid wood around the output jack cracked on one of them, but still, that's just my experience.

Oh, what was the subject here again?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Member

Technically, I've always prefered the durability of an ebony board when it comes to ball catching.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  6. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Don't fret the wood mane, just play it and enjoy it. As long as its not Pau Ferro you're good!

arcticsg likes this.
  7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Holy defensive Canoli!

SG standard likes this.
  8. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Member

So you are gonna teach me something? Thank you... you are so good to me. I'm gonna bring my communist nose just behind you to learn the absolute truth.:rofl:

Norton likes this.
  9. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Looks fine to me. How's it sound?

10. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

61’s are lighter body color to mimic the look of a real 1961 as it would look today after years if fading

11. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Hang on... Whilst on the subject of catching your balls in a zipper fly... you're then relating that to owning a pair of Epihones? I think that could be taken in several different ways... :)

12. Von Trapp

Ah, true, and if I didn't ramble that much it would perhaps have been more clear that the subject was categorical statements vs personal experiences. But I can tell you with absolute certainty that owning an Epiphone doesn't in any way resemble the feeling of getting your balls caught in a fly, to me at least...

SG standard likes this.
  13. Steve D

This is what an SG looked like new ... or close to it. That's Elvis holding it, taken from one of his movies. Scotty Moore apparantly owned it and gave it to Elvis to use during the movie. Interesting how the cover on the vibrola is removed. Wonder why he did that? Anyway, you can see the color as they were new. Pretty close to the color of the guitar in first post I think.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  14. Von Trapp

Amazing that one didn't have to plug it in back then!

15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

My doctor says I have an allergy to obtuse impertinence.

16. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

It looks like most of the "guts" and arm have been removed too, making it just a fancy trapeze tailpiece.

Steve D likes this.
  17. Steve D

You're right. Scotty Moore neutered it. Tuning problems solved!

18. skydog6653

skydog6653 Member

19. Hudman

Hudman Member

I oiled my 2020 SG & 2019 Les Paul fretboards. The Dunlop 65 darkened the fretboards nicely.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    SGBreadfan likes this.
  20. KS 5150

KS 5150 New Member

I just got a 2019 '61...the fretboard was quite dark, and I treated with Dunlop 65, which darkened it further. A couple of other ones I looked at had very light boards, which I chose to avoid. YMMV.
    [​IMG]