Would you guys be satisfied with this light of a fretboard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by RWMusic, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

kernel comes late to the party, skips all the hostility and offers a few
    choice words of wisdom:

1. The Gibson SG '61 RI is one of the best guitars Gibson has ever made. This is a fact. *grins
    Ignore all comparisons to 'vintage" guitars, and enjoy your '61 for what it is, one of the very best
    of modern guitars.
    Lucky you that you have this one. And that you got a great deal on it. The value of your '61 goes
    way way beyond what you paid for it. Shades of color are irrelevant to tone. Just rock that sucker.

2. Wood is an organic thing, and it varies. Especially now, in the 21st century when we are witnessing
    the collapse of the 'tropical tone wood industry..." If you want some insight into what guitarists face in
    these times, just google "Bob Taylor talks about Ebony." it's an excellent video from the owner of a very
    well respected guitar making company. He knows his tone wood, because with acoustic guitars, tone wood
    is EVERYTHING. Unlike electric guitars, whose tone is ruled by magnetism.

3. +1 on the "Fret Doctor" product. Get some, and apply it to your fretboard. It's an excellent product, and
    will darken the wood. I apply it to my instruments maybe once a year, when I take each one down for TLC.
    +1 on the Gorgomyte, this will be a nice addition on top of the Fret Doctor. Here's a picture of an SG I bought
    in 2013... it has a 'baked maple" fretboard. So these didn't sell well. Guitarists can be very narrow minded.
    (which is dumb...)
    So I was able to take advantage and get a tremendous guitar at a very reasonable price. The baked maple
    fretboard has given great service since 2013, and the instrument has a fine tough sound all its own. Which
    is why I bought it.
    April 1@100.jpg
    This photo above is of the guitar right out of the box. The baked maple has an interesting
    reddish brown color to it, lighter than any rosewood or ebony, and darker than a Telecaster
    maple neck. The initial reaction to this from guitarists was scathing, and totally unjustified.
    Anyway, I treated the fretboard with fret doctor, and this is what it looked like in 2017:
    April 2017@100.jpg
    So it was darker right after I oiled it, but after five years of play, the baked maple has reverted
    a LITTLE, but it's still darker than it was when new. May you have this joy. The baked maple is
    hard and smooth and has given great service and no problems. *shrugs.
    That's all that really matters.

4. The Nashville bridge on my SG above is the stock part. It's now 2020 and shows no signs of
    collapse, it renders excellent tone with no problems. I've used 11s on this guitar with no problems
    and no bridge collapse. I'm using tens on it now, which is what it was issued with. Tens work fine
    for me. And so does the Nashville bridge. There are lots of bridge enthusiasts on this site, and everyone
    has an opinion. The reader gets to read the opinions and make his own mind up. The tone of this instrument
    is so excellent that I didn't mod it much... only some superficial changes. It's still got the stock bridge, Gibson mini hum bucker p'ups, Corian nut and 500K pots with factory "traditional" wiring. When it sounds and feels great, don't try and "improve" it. This applies to your '61 as well.

there you have it... you own one of the best there is... enjoy that, and play it loud.

Biddlin and SGBreadfan like this.
  2. Harry Holden

Harry Holden New Member

I do actively seek out dark rosewood, however that one is nice and even and will definitely darken up with time as you play it, I think it looks fine! :)