WOW!! Check out this SG

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by JCarno, May 28, 2016.

1. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

00l0l_42PvG2fonyj_1200x900.jpg
    Not mine. No affiliation. But thought you guys would enjoy it.
    I bet for the right price he'd ship it.
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/msg/5597420012.html

I tried uploading more pics but only one appeared. You have to read the description to really appreciate what it is.

Attached Files:

Bettyboo likes this.
  2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

hUBBA HUBBA

3. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...

...the knob and pickup switch placement seem a little off...

Aside from that, I'm not sure Gibson ever did a three pickup Custom-style setup with what is essentially a Special-type neck and headstock overlay.

It's a little suspicious.

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

. This is what the ad says.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2007 Gibson SG Special Faded -- Seriously modded!

Some of you may remember the SG Special Faded that came out a while back. It had three exposed pickups, a volume knob, tone knob, and a 6-way chickenhead pickup selector switch. They also came with a flimsy gig bag.

This guitar sounds and plays awesome. As you'll see from the description below, it's super versatile. You can get all the Rawk of an SG as well as some nice clean sounds and even some Strat/Tele kind of tones. I've played it through my Twin, AC30, Mesa Tremoverb, and a Bedrock 1400 (JCM800 meets HiWatt) and it sounds great w/ all of those amps -- both clean and dirty.

I'm playing my other guitars more than this one and need money for a new car so she's gotta go. PRICE IS FIRM. NO TRADES AT THIS TIME.

I am not the original owner. Somebody modded this by adding the two extra pots, a three way "traditional" pickup switch and a HORRIBLE wiring job.

Here's what I've done to it:

1. Installed a Free-Way Switch.. http://www.freewayswitch.com/ This switch gives you Six settings, but is much more efficient than having a 6 position rotary switch. The six settings this allows are:
    a. Bridge pup
    b. Both pups
    c. Neck pup
    d. Bridge and Middle pup (out of phase)
    e. Middle pup
    f. Neck and Middle pup (out of phase)
    i. By rolling down the middle pup, you can start bringing the phase back in and create some Strat-type sounds.

2. All new pots. This guitar has three Volume pots (one for each pickup) and one Tone pot (a "master" tone pot, if you will). The volume pots are Bourns Model 95 Premium 300k pots. Very smooth turning. The Tone pot is a Genuine Bourns 500k Push/Pull pot.
    *****The tone pot can be pulled up to act as a killswitch.*****
    There's a .047uf cap on the tone pot.
    3. Put covers on all pickups. The picture I've posted of the pickups is how it came to me. Very poor solder job on the existing covers. The new covers are properly soldered to the pickups, but I don't have a picture of that.

The pickups may have been previously upgraded. Descriptions of the original guitar say that it came with 490 and 498s. I posted the pickup pics I took on an SG forum and was told that the middle one is likely one of those (490 or 498), but the Neck and Bridge pickups may very well be Burst Buckers. They definitely have more bite than Classic 57s (I have those on 3 other guitars).

Comes with a genuine Gibson Hardshell Case instead of the cheap gig bag it originally came with. The strap posts are part of the Dunlop locking system. Only the posts are included.

smitty_p likes this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I don't know about the axe, but the switch sounds cool. I might have to consider that instead of the Triple Shot rings.

6. smitty_p

So...what you're saying is...I was right...it isn't "correct!"

Ha! I kill me!

I guess that's what I get for responding on my phone. Little screens...danged gizmos!

To quote the great Mr. Carlson of WKRP fame, speaking of phones..."I should cut that thing in half...just use it for listening."

Carry on..

7. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

For $700, if the serial number checks out with Gibson, that's a lovely guitar to have.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I've been responding mainly on my Kindle of late.......

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Well, now, I don't think it's worth $700 usd. While it technically is in what dealers would call VG-EXC, we don't really know what pickups have been swapped in, the wiring has been double boogered and you've got to pop for some proprietary strap pins, right out of the chute. If my local rag and bone shop had it listed at $750, I'd offer $550, money on the counter and walk out with it.
    However, since the industrious imps have already been into it, I'd strip it bare, take it to my automobile paint guy for a deep ruby red gloss finish and put it back together with gold hardware, long vibrola and covers.
    But that's just me...

10. smitty_p

Yeah.

But, before I took it to the paint guy, I'd have to do some woodwork to get the knob and switch position correct.

That just bugs me!