WOW......disapointed 2014 and 2015 SGJ AND SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Nitrox, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Sinister indeed! :dude:

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Ah, I get it, Yes lovely guitar, fine graphics. You should be proud.
    ;>)/

3. Nitrox

Nitrox Active Member

I love My SG!!! I was simply shocked by how rough these Gibsons were that's all, there is a heritage and history that comes with Gibson and these guitars should have been a better example of that lineage only my thoughts and feelings......maybe its just these two completely random guitars from a close period in time that both slipped thru.....or maybe my expectations are to high on what 700-1000 bucks gets ya these days

The Custom paint on the V was done by hand by Mike Learn.....the dude did megadeths album work for an album, he did Scott ians guitar and he does Jackson custom shop paint work, he also did a show with nubs from orange county choppers, he also builds his own guitars

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Maybe you saw some sh*tty Gibsons. My recent ones, all were more than acceptable at the price range, the Les Paul Melody Makers would be acceptable at twice the price. The N-225 is impeccably finished, with super features. Hyperbole makes your original statement silly.
    ;>)/

voxgibber and Hammer like this.
  5. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

Quality can come in at any price point, high or low. Pride in one's workmanship should not have a price tag.
    Remember that Mr. Pirsig's quest for quality landed him in the asylum. He had the pride but could never fathom why others didn't.

Good luck, Shreddy. Hang in there!

Karathas and Biddlin like this.
  6. guitarded

guitarded Member

I tried an SGJ off the wall at my local guitar center and the intonation was all messed up, so I never got as chance to give it a fair shake and ended up leaving with the 2014 Special that day.

7. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

I picked up a 2014 SGJ and it went right back. The fret ends were dangerous sharp and the joint where the neck met the body looked terrible. This was not "Fret Sprout" it was just bad finishing. I did end with with a perfect SG Standard that is now my #1 guitar. I agree that you should not have to run right out with a brand new guitar and have it worked on.

8. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

9. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

KILLER LOOKIN AXE DAWG

Bullfrog likes this.
  10. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

I'd like to play some Slayer on that bad boy!

11. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

What p!$$es me off about 2014 and further Gibsons isn't just the controversial QC (yes, I've heard many experienced guys say they've found lemons and bad finished ones, and other say that's pure BS and that they've never been better, like Biddlin said)...

It's how they are trying to innovate and thus letting go of a lot of originality. I told this story here already, but here it goes, an abridged and unshakespearean version:

I recently decided to buy a higher end guitar, and tried a couple of Gibsons, mostly Les Paul Studios, Juniors... And I left the store with a wonderful, traditional and perfectly set up straight from the factory: A Fender. :naughty::D

The new Gibsons really don't do it for me, I wouldn't trust that G-force frankentuner at a gig (hell, don't these busters know they have already invented the BOSS TU-3???? :squint:), and I didn't like many finishes they currently make... They even changed the neck width. What for, again?? :hmm: Oh and let's not forget: if you want a real Les Paul Standard, prepare to pay almost $4,000. No way, Henry.

One thing I noticed, on the other hand: Fender seems to be making the best strats and especially teles ever. Great attention to details, very good tuners... Even the undercoat on the American guitars is thinner, to allow the wood to resonate more (I didn't surmise this, it's on the website and company techs talked to me about it at Fender's official forum).

The neck finish is just perfect, and absolutely no issues with the factory set up in any of the strats I've tried... Including the Mex ones.

I went to the shop wanting anything but a strat, but left with a rosewood scale Am. Standard Strat. Happy as a puppy with two tails. And let me tell you what, I was even happier when I first played that guitar at a studio. Feels and sounds perfect.

I am still a Gibson enthusiast. But only for older Gibsons. :dude:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Except for the Volume knob I am certain its awesome deMelo ;)

shreddy bender likes this.
  13. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

lol yeah, I'm still consideting pulling it off.

eS.G. likes this.
  14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Atta boy

15. bzbzob

bzbzob New Member

Hi, new to the site, late to the party, but... I read a lot of these forums for all the good info, but this is the first time ever signing up for one and it is because although I see many people bashing Gibson and usually think they are just over reacting, I now very unfortunately see what they mean. I have had SO many Gibsons and really do consider them the best. I recently got an SG Naked 2016 and am sending it back immediately. Problems? Nut cut so far to the edge of the high e string that you literally can not play any note in the first 3 or 4 frets because, seriously, on the first fret the string is actually on the very edge of the fret, push it down, over the edge you go. Secondly, the bridge is all the way down on the deck and the action is still too high (and yes truss rod adjusted correctly), the pickups (p90s) are way down into the body and I backed off the height adjustment screws and the pick ups did not raise, as if the springs are missing (on both pickups), and finally there is a dip/hump on the neck where it joins the body. I have not even noticed if the fret edges are good, that is any easy fix anyway. I suppose I could cut a new nut and get springs (or stretch the existing ones maybe, if there are even any in there), but there is no way to to easily get the bridge problem sorted and since I can't get to all that, I am not even sure if the neck problem is really even a problem. Not worth the effort to fix, and I should not have to, IMO. So, after so many guitars, and so many Gibsons that I have truly loved to play, I have to say that I am severely disappointed that I can not go forward with this guitar, which by the way, sounds really good, and now I must become ----- a dreaded Gibson basher. What a drag man, it is the last thing I want to be, I promise!!

SG standard likes this.
  16. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

First, welcome to the forum!

I've a good idea how you feel - as I've been there myself. From the moment I got interested in guitars, Gibson was the brand I identified with, and the SG was the Gibson I wanted. I just never managed to afford one when I was gigging in bands. :(

Many years later, I've now owned seven, five of which were bought new, and I'd have to agree that they have some real issues over QC, unless I've been exceptionally unlucky. But judging by the number of critical comments online, compared to other similar brands, my experience has been relatively normal.

Unfortunately, many people who get labeled 'Gibson bashers' actually really like the brand - after all, that's why they've been buying Gibson guitars! Many of us get no pleasure from criticising Gibson's QC - (although no doubt some do). Hopefully things will change for the better, one way or another.

17. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Good luck bz but you are jumping into a thread here that's like several years old.

Maybe start one specific to your guitar might make more sense that this one?

18. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

I'll take a bullet for First Act Custom Guitars. As they are no longer being made, there are no recent specimens to exhibit.

Around the turn of the century, a small family run music store, known as St, Fishys and located about a three minute walk from the Memphis GC, had a couple of them in stock. The guitars were unique and the workmanship was excellent. The 'Tele" version was about $1200, beautifully finished, and a pleasure to play. But Gibson quality? The guitars were nicely built. Sorry but I saw them so long ago I don't remember much about them other than well built and played nicely. And they were unique but not my style.

https://reverb.com/item/12007578-first-act-custom-shop-fat-sheena-trans-blue-mia-one-off-custom-guitar

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/first-act-guitar-studio-boston

https://reverb.com/item/14949569-first-act-delia-ce540-cabernet-red

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Builder_Profile_First_Act_Custom_Shop

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/GALLERY_First_Act_Custom_Shops_Custom_Creations

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

I learned a long time ago, a lot of stuff for sale is defective, even if its not obvious. That's why its for sale. Folks buy something and like it, they keep it. They buy something and there's a defect, they ditch it [without divulging the defects] and replace it. Or if its NOS, there's a reason its still for sale after 4 years, such as defects. As a result, there will be more used and NOS defective stuff available, than new. That's why you have to shop.

20. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

I love Gibson guitars but dislike the company very much, so I am not quick to defend them. But to be fair, even with quality control inconsistencies, Gibsons almost never have bad fret jobs, or sharp fret ends -- particularly now that they are using PLEK (and thus not relying on unreliable humans) their fretwork is generally excellent. On the other hand, their fretboard wood is consistently awful. But the actual fret job -- usually good. Sorry you encountered a bad one.