XP problem with processes not shutting down

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vkgphil, Sep 22, 2008.

1. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

this is fairly annoying

lets see if i can explain it

i have discovered that on my laptop, when i close applications, the process continues to run in task manager. for instance, say i close firefox now. then i start it again later on and then close it again. i do this several more times in the next day or so. now i go into task manager and there will be whatever number of instances of it still showing as thou they are running.

its not limited to firefox. i see it commonly in outlook, office applications, photoshop... they end when i close them down manually

i just dont understand why they do not release automatically. its a huge pain to constantly be shutting them down, esp when you can only close one at a time.

im not sure exactly when this started. it could be since SP3 was installed but that is just a guess.

2. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Is your laptop a Hewlett Packard with a AMD cpu by any chance?

If so try doing a Google search for "SP3 and AMD"

Your guess may be correct.

3. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

i have a dell xps 1210 with the intel centrino duo, 1.8Ghz

ive been looking around xp forums... nothing

4. sgtbeefheart

If you've installed SP3 in the last couple of weeks, you may be able to do a system restore to the point before SP3.

You can reverse the restore if it doesn't help.

5. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

yeah its actually been awhile since i did the sp3 thing

im familiar with the restore bit, it is my friend

i will have to give that a go thou, im not positive that was the cause.

6. 1Way

1Way Active Member

I've seen something like that before too. Might have a quick start up or quick search bar or similar feature like that involved. Programs like to seem "handy", but I'm like vkgphil, if I want a program to stay resident in memory, I'll be running it on purpose thank you.

vkgphil
    Not exactly sure what you meant, but you mentioned a time period of more than one day. That sounds not so good in case your leaving the pc on for extended periods of time. I recommend a hard shut down daily or several times a day with lots of different programs in use. Booting the pc tends to get rid of unwanted/unknown errors and memory hogs. Back in win98 (XP?) days, I downloaded a ram optimizer program that lets you force unused/unwanted memory handles to be dropped thus freeing up your memory just like a fresh boot. Sorry but I don't remember the name of that program, but something like that might end up being a help.

Best of luck bud, hope this helps.
    ;)

7. sgtbeefheart

You didn't say if you had checked for a virus or two.

It would be a good idea, especially if you're running Norton Anti-Virus.

A friend recently asked me to clean up his PC, and he had 496 infections, in spite of using NAV.

He wouldn't let me replace NAV, because it was paid up for another eight months. :?

8. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

oneway, i know what you are referring to. there are several options out there that do this, some are not really recommended... i guess there is a great debate whether or not these really do work. i have glary utilities that has a memory optimizer feature, but it doesnt solve the issue. i prob do a hard boot every other day, generally as part of a system tweek or software update... i generally close the lid without shutting down, it goes into a hibernate mode and fires up very quickly when the lid is lifted.

beefheart, i dont trust norton to do anything anymore. i have it but it is only used on occasion, not full time. that duty goes to avast anti virus which in my mind is the most effective av i have ever used (and its free for personal use!)

i run it full time and as you mentioned catches a lot of stuff overlooked by norton.

i guess i should count my blessings. lock ups are very rare, the only predictable crash comes when i use line 6 edit and my bass pod xt (thats another story that line 6 support has not helped me any on)

9. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=17879.msg220196#msg220196 date=1223003187]
    i dont trust norton to do anything anymore. i have it but it is only used on occasion, not full time. that duty goes to avast anti virus which in my mind is the most effective av i have ever used (and its free for personal use!)
    [/quote]

I couldn't agree with you any more.
    NAV used to drive me nutz. I had to do a full format of my hard drive just to get rid of NAV totally.
    Once I installed Avast I never ran into any problems.
    Avast has been doing it's thing for about 3 yrs now and virius are a thing of the past !

10. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=brucewayne131 link=topic=17879.msg220254#msg220254 date=1223223703]
    I couldn't agree with you any more.
    NAV used to drive me nutz. I had to do a full format of my hard drive just to get rid of NAV totally.
    Once I installed Avast I never ran into any problems.
    Avast has been doing it's thing for about 3 yrs now and virius are a thing of the past !

[/quote]

Not to mention the fact that it takes FOREVER for a virus to download when you still have dialup! :funny:

11. SGPlayer

SGPlayer Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=17879.msg220262#msg220262 date=1223228770]
    Not to mention the fact that it takes FOREVER for a virus to download when you still have dialup! :funny:
    [/quote]

:funny: :rofl: You're sooooo bad Weasel!